Main Menu

Winter Wars

Started by MengJiao, May 05, 2020, 02:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Ah, Finland.  Oh, dear Stalin!

There are three "Winter Wars" to be had on Steam.  I looked at two of them and took the area-movement one with nice little airplanes and cards for Vodka and Night Attack.  Things went badly for me and the Red Army.  Lots of ambushes and snowstorms and getting lost on the way to the field kitchens.  A quick Night Attack with lots of Vodka almost turned the tide.  But no.  Maybe some screen shots some time soon.

PS: why do people think the Russo-Finish War of 1939-1940 is an "obscure topic"?...there are always plenty of pretty good games about it.  Definitely good for simulating a lot.  And generally pretty fun.

Gusington

I very much enjoyed the Winter War scenarios in Order of Battle.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on May 05, 2020, 02:59:23 PM
I very much enjoyed the Winter War scenarios in Order of Battle.

It's hard to go wrong with a good Winter War scenario.  Here is the opening of the third week on the central axis:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on May 05, 2020, 03:04:32 PM

It's hard to go wrong with a good Winter War scenario.  Here is the opening of the third week on the central axis:

I did the whole war (14 turns: 14 weeks), I drove the commies against the Finnish AI.  As you might expect, a little Soviet sneakiness on the central axis leads to a devastating defeat for the Finns.  The developer remarked in the steam discussions that beefing up the Finns was going to be necessary and making the Mannerheim Line less strong and forcing the Russians to stack less up north was a good idea.

Here's the situation late in the game between Heilsinki and Leningrad (note part of the Mannerheim Line is still holding and in fact most of the Russians close to the Finnish Capital came via the central axis):

al_infierno

Definitely interested in picking this one up.  I put a good bit of time into Wars Across the World, but not much into the Spanish Civil War iteration. 

I agree the Winter War and "Continuation" war are hardly "obscure," but I think when people say that, they're really saying it "lacks appeal to mainstream audiences" (with countless D-Day media coming to mind as the opposite of that).

Meng, what's your take on how this game compares to other similar Winter War titles?
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

^With that said - are there any good Winter War movies?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

Red Dawn?  Admittedly, it's not Finland, but, it is Communists and it is winter.  Plus, the cast is pretty spectacular.  Betcha forgot Powers Boothe was in it.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on May 06, 2020, 07:34:41 PM
^With that said - are there any good Winter War movies?

Really?

Only one of the greatest war movies ever made.  Possibly the greatest.  I have owned it for a long long time.

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

I did not forget Powers Boothe was in Red Dawn because I just watched it like 3 weeks ago! Love that movie.

Never heard of 1989's Winter War. I must have been watching Glory instead.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on May 06, 2020, 08:20:01 PM
I did not forget Powers Boothe was in Red Dawn because I just watched it like 3 weeks ago! Love that movie.

Never heard of 1989's Winter War. I must have been watching Glory instead.

Watch it Gus.  It's amazing.   A fairly large portion of the Finnish Army participated as extras and they used period correct tanks and planes in practical effects. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

MengJiao

Quote from: MetalDog on May 06, 2020, 07:50:25 PM
Red Dawn?  Admittedly, it's not Finland, but, it is Communists and it is winter.  Plus, the cast is pretty spectacular.  Betcha forgot Powers Boothe was in it.

I forgot.  My mental world was revamped by Deadwood

MengJiao

Quote from: al_infierno on May 06, 2020, 05:22:38 PM
Definitely interested in picking this one up.  I put a good bit of time into Wars Across the World, but not much into the Spanish Civil War iteration. 

I agree the Winter War and "Continuation" war are hardly "obscure," but I think when people say that, they're really saying it "lacks appeal to mainstream audiences" (with countless D-Day media coming to mind as the opposite of that).

Meng, what's your take on how this game compares to other similar Winter War titles?

Apparently it is a different version of the WAW game engine put out under a different set of logos and it doesn't interface with the other WAW scenarios.  It looks better overall and runs more smoothly and coherently for the most part, but has some odd bugs.  It is still an early access game and definitely has some odd problems. 

Skoop

Winter war is a sweet movie, you can find it on youtube if you don't mind subtitles.  I actually prefer das boot and Stalingrad in native language with English subtitles.

Gusington

Wow, I almost thought you were kidding SirAndrew.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

That film looks incredible, thanks for linking it! 

I very much prefer watching  foreign WWII films in the original language, especially an Eastern Front (or tangentially related in this case) film since changing everything to English destroys a huge part of what makes WWII aesthetically interesting.  I can't imagine wanting to have Come and See dubbed into English, for example.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao