Field of Glory Empires MP Game New Thread.

Started by devoncop, June 04, 2019, 01:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devoncop

You are welcome to the two regions we have left near your borders, including the anchorage one.

I would take the one not bordering Arabia first as my over enthusiastic allies may declare war on you if you take the one next to them If they do I can try and get them to stop using the diplo options but there was no guarantee they will take any notice !
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

JasonPratt

I haven't really talked about my early turns, but since I'm talking more openly now about what has been going on, the truth is that I hoped I could arrange an alliance with the Qats rather than be destined for a bloody civil war of brother vs brother.  :'(

Alas, the AI was hard coded for Saba and Qata to reactively oppose each other at the start of the game, probably as a game-balancing measure to keep one or the other from instantly dominating southern Arabia.

I didn't realize this until too late, that nothing I did was going to work, at least in the opening moves -- including sending at least 140 of my own starting gold, maybe more like 210 (I don't recall specifically but at least two gifts maybe three).

So tragically, all I did was cripple my own expansion at the cost of giving my pre-destined enemies more ability to threaten me.

Then, when my hasty invasion to the only harbor area nearby led to the destruction of much of my starting army, I couldn't even keep the independents north of there on the coast from wandering in to take it for themselves; and naturally the Qats, seeing my overextension, had fresh troops unspent on anything, and they struck. My foolishness, their reasonableness (or good programming rather).

Saba is still suffering from my early mistakes. (And some bad luck along the way.) And the Qats are still coasting from them for a while yet. Time will reveal whether they can still turn things around before I can put them down.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Sad our legacy,
Traded forces for.
Understanding ally
Volunteers a war.

I'll need a couple of turns to arrange the pseudo-war with Egypt (for which I'll take Devon up on his offer, thanks!) I don't see any reason at all to need the northern Arabian territory, and I'm glad to see an anchorage has been developed there!

I can't offer much in return yet, but I'm sacrificing 100 Legacy (after finally passing the 75 minimum I needed to trigger this policy) to raise an emergency levy. That'll be aimed at, I hope, smacking the Qats out of the game, or at least down to size, soon.

In effect I'll be giving up any real chance at a legacy win (which was dwindling as I dropped behind anyway), but hopefully I can stay at my ridiculous CDR with a few point dips!

Oh, and I'm arranging to seize a navy from my newly conquered merchants, to deal with the blockade (hopefully) which is screwing with my merchants. They'll probably complain for a while, but they'll get over it.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

devoncop

285BC and finally the Egyptian and Arabian fightback against years of Judean aggression and expansion can begin.

The Egyptian Advance Guard under General Claenymes reaches the devastated region of Petra where the whole Judean army sits smugly over the emaciated corpses of its vanquished Nabatean garrison.

After a fierce battle the Judeans are crushed and Petra is expected to fall within the year to the Egyptian liberators.

The main Egyptian forces continue on their designated route out of the sight of Judean spies.

In a co-ordinated move, to the South East Egypt's Arabian allies now capture Aelana region in Nabatea Province from the Judeans.

The misled Judean populace in Jerusalem are reportedly now turning on the High Priests in their gilded Temple and accusations fly around of false prophets promising them a huge Empire and easy conquests..........

Some priests are reportedly scanning the horizon to the south from the walls of Jerusalem with horses saddled ready to abandon their people to their fate...........

al_infierno

You wanna talk about a sad legacy??  Gus's avatar is broken.  No more Drugged Puddin' for any of us :'(
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

My game as Bactria is dead. DEAD!

If by broken you mean my avatar is awesome, then yes.

All things must change!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Quote from: Gusington on August 26, 2019, 08:40:23 PM
My game as Bactria is dead. DEAD!

If by broken you mean my avatar is awesome, then yes.

All things must change!

Nah I mean it's kaput.  If you're still seeing it it's likely still cached on your system.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

You can't see it?? Dammit.

...I can see it on my phone too... :'(

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Quote from: al_infierno on August 26, 2019, 08:03:02 PM
You wanna talk about a sad legacy??  Gus's avatar is broken.  No more Drugged Puddin' for any of us :'(

Possibly the most horrific news so far  :'(

Gusington

As Bactria falls, so do epic avatars.

I think I know what the issue is with my current one, will try and fix it later.

Yeah so anyway, I think my days are numbered in this game...it's looking bleak in the east.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Quote from: Gusington on August 27, 2019, 09:13:51 AM
As Bactria falls, so do epic avatars.

I think I know what the issue is with my current one, will try and fix it later.

Yeah so anyway, I think my days are numbered in this game...it's looking bleak in the east.

Not sure your so called "protector" state the Seleucids has done you many favours......in retrospect it maybe would have been better to break with the Seleucids just before the Mauryans and the Saka attacked and gone into an Alliance with them.

It may not have made a difference but it would have massively increased the Seleucid front lines.

This is the bible according to General Hindsight of course but it is a thought. :)

Sir Slash

If it's a choice between saving Bactria and The Fleshpot Bitches.... put me squarely on the side of the Bitches.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

devoncop

Quote from: Sir Slash on August 27, 2019, 09:55:14 AM
If it's a choice between saving Bactria and The Fleshpot Bitches.... put me squarely on the side of the Bitches.

Once again.........harsh but fair  O0

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Waiting to attack
Execrable foes,
Yonder rebels rise!
Zounds! -- ah quick, ally!

Ironically, the turn after I temporarily broke alliance to work on picking up the offered territory, rebels pop up randomly there! -- which I assure you I had nothing to do with, because they're going to make my problems more difficult. (And also I have no idea how to instigate rebellions in other territories in this game, or if that's even possible. But for many reasons I wouldn't do that to Egypt, including because pissing off Egypt would be suicidal.) Still, I can re-ally with Egypt faster now.  O:-) Hopefully this will add some legacy or civilization points for Egypt.

Having consolidated my expensive new army, I find I'm exactly the same power (in the AI's estimation) as the Qats, including fort for fort (or I'm one point more in fact). So I'm sure I'll be marching next turn for the rebellious coastal territory, and trusting my puissant fortifications (soon to be upgraded) to....

...um. I picked up a new navy last time, or so I thought. I totally forgot to check on their whereabouts. They didn't spawn in and attack the enemy blockaders -- I suppose I would have seen such a report -- although on the other hand the blockade is gone. Something to look into next turn.