Field of Glory Empires MP Game New Thread.

Started by devoncop, June 04, 2019, 01:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripoli

Antigonids-Rome has apparently inadvertently ended up in a war with you  Several turns ago, when I proposed an alliance with Rhodes, they were not at war with you.  Had they been at war with you at the time, I would not have proposed the alliance.  Since then, it appears that you and them have had a falling out.  Rome has no desire for a war with Antigonids.  Can we agree to some type of peace?
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

devoncop

This game now appears stuck with Jason and Gus to play their turn.

The timer expired 12 hours or so ago but the turn hasn't proceeded.

When they move hopefully it should resolve but I have a few games now that seem to have stal!ed.

I am hoping the techies can fix it.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Quote from: devoncop on August 18, 2019, 03:31:03 AM
This game now appears stuck with Jason and Gus to play their turn.

The timer expired 12 hours or so ago but the turn hasn't proceeded.

When they move hopefully it should resolve but I have a few games now that seem to have stal!ed.

I am hoping the techies can fix it.

I think there's an issue with the servers, I noticed the same thing with another game I'm in with 24-hour turns.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

JasonPratt

Interesting! -- consequently, the AI didn't take over my turn!

As I discovered this evening upon returning.  :bd: I finished out turn 20 and started turn 21, so things should be rolling again.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Yellow desert sands,
Zebra troops embrace.
Arab traitors, too!
But a different way.  >:(

Calling all aloud,
Downward to the sea!
Exit ancient fort,
Forward we shall ride!

Saba thanks the Antigonids for their donation to our poetic efforts, such as they are! The dam burst again this turn, embarrassing us with the Ptolemies nearby and the Arabs -- more on that in a moment -- so that we actually lost a progress point! I can't tell if that's a subtle game design detail, or a random confluence, but literally that's what happened: we lost the point out of the rickety dam being a shame to our nation! (...and lost a worker's group of population. Fortunately we were about to gain a pop and then randomly gained another pop due to our high health standards!)

While we appreciate the arrival of the Ptolemies, we do not entirely appreciate the arrival of their Arabian allies who took the opportunity of newly common borders to try taking over our final and home territory! We easily crushed them, of course; and I suspect this was less a formal invasion than that Arabia has a "raiding" mechanic, lacked by the Sabaeans (oddly, despite us being retrograde bedouins fallen from a higher civilization of more ancient times).

At any rate, we've sent our first assault army out in decades, with a reasonable chance of taking the ancient port area of southwestern Arabia -- unless, which is possible, Qataba fortifies it after their loss to the Egyptian visitors.

Relatedly, I may need to ask, at the risk of being impolite: will the local Hellenics be keeping their areas? No doubt if we fall again, the area should be put under allied management (apart from the treacherous Arabians), but one of our target areas has now been taken by Egypt.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

devoncop

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 18, 2019, 05:45:18 PM
Yellow desert sands,
Zebra troops embrace.
Arab traitors, too!
But a different way.  >:(

Calling all aloud,
Downward to the sea!
Exit ancient fort,
Forward we shall ride!

Saba thanks the Antigonids for their donation to our poetic efforts, such as they are! The dam burst again this turn, embarrassing us with the Ptolemies nearby and the Arabs -- more on that in a moment -- so that we actually lost a progress point! I can't tell if that's a subtle game design detail, or a random confluence, but literally that's what happened: we lost the point out of the rickety dam being a shame to our nation! (...and lost a worker's group of population. Fortunately we were about to gain a pop and then randomly gained another pop due to our high health standards!)

While we appreciate the arrival of the Ptolemies, we do not entirely appreciate the arrival of their Arabian allies who took the opportunity of newly common borders to try taking over our final and home territory! We easily crushed them, of course; and I suspect this was less a formal invasion than that Arabia has a "raiding" mechanic, lacked by the Sabaeans (oddly, despite us being retrograde bedouins fallen from a higher civilization of more ancient times).

At any rate, we've sent our first assault army out in decades, with a reasonable chance of taking the ancient port area of southwestern Arabia -- unless, which is possible, Qataba fortifies it after their loss to the Egyptian visitors.

Relatedly, I may need to ask, at the risk of being impolite: will the local Hellenics be keeping their areas? No doubt if we fall again, the area should be put under allied management (apart from the treacherous Arabians), but one of our target areas has now been taken by Egypt.

Ptolemy greets the leader of the heroic Sabaen resistance !

As far as the actions of our Arabian allies are concerned I am afraid controlling the Arabians is a little like holding a tiger by the tail.....a brave endeavour but ultimately futile :)Picts

We adopted the approach to ally with them as a way worshipping them raiding us so we feel your pain ! Maybe you could also get an Alliance with them ?

As far as the newly aquired Qataban teritory is concerned Egypt has no desire to  expand its lands in Arabia beyond the port which has been taken to reinforce the expeditionary force to allow them to move back north and construct a small naval force for their protection. This will also allow us to blockade the Qataban capital to assist in any Sabaen siege of it.

Hopefully this is acceptable to the Sabaeans.

Ptolemy, Pharoah of all Egypt.

devoncop

Bearing in mind the need for Saba to gain access to the port is greater than than for Egypt, a review by the General Staff has led to a decision to immediately remove Egyptian troops from this area of operations to allow immediate reoccupation by Sabaen forces when convenient.

Ptolemy, Pharoah of all Egypt.

JasonPratt

Great, thanks!

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure I recall (from when I owned it) that the territory you initially took from the Qats can be a port site, too. It just doesn't start with one built.  O:-)

JasonPratt

Gathered once again,
Harbor of the sea!
In a year or two,
Justice shall set free.

Alas that our first king couldn't live a few more years to see the sea again, but here we are! -- with a Qatabian navy blockading the harbor, true, but we'll deal with that soon one way or another.

Bless their hearts, the one slave work-group has been cruelly mistreated with an actual whipping program! We'll kick that out of the territory in a year or two, and start them on the path to freedom and citizenship. Assuming the Qats don't manage to surge out and recover from their setbacks.

Considering that the central Arabians feel no compunction about wandering down into their allied Ptolemic territories and trying to score some points on us, I would feel a lot safer if Egypt would somehow cede the territory connecting Arabia to our capital. However, I also acknowledge and comport with my ally's desire for a southern Red Sea port, and that territory does have a natural area which would make a good harbor, once developed.

If possible, perhaps a compromise could be reached? Once I have dealt with the Qats (or perhaps even before then), I could work my way over to the territory north of that one (your current northernmost of your pair in Arabia Felix), which would insulate my capital from Arabian raids just as well. Then if I can develop a decent harbor in that area (which doesn't look as promising admittedly), we could trade off so that you have a developed harbor territory in connection with your Arabian allies, paid for by my development efforts, and I still have insulating territories to buffer my capital from them.

A long-term consideration, contingent on many factors to be sure. We can revisit the topic later when-if-ever I survive my sad fraternal war down here.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

devoncop

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 20, 2019, 07:04:58 PM
Gathered once again,
Harbor of the sea!
In a year or two,
Justice shall set free.

Alas that our first king couldn't live a few more years to see the sea again, but here we are! -- with a Qatabian navy blockading the harbor, true, but we'll deal with that soon one way or another.

Bless their hearts, the one slave work-group has been cruelly mistreated with an actual whipping program! We'll kick that out of the territory in a year or two, and start them on the path to freedom and citizenship. Assuming the Qats don't manage to surge out and recover from their setbacks.

Considering that the central Arabians feel no compunction about wandering down into their allied Ptolemic territories and trying to score some points on us, I would feel a lot safer if Egypt would somehow cede the territory connecting Arabia to our capital. However, I also acknowledge and comport with my ally's desire for a southern Red Sea port, and that territory does have a natural area which would make a good harbor, once developed.

If possible, perhaps a compromise could be reached? Once I have dealt with the Qats (or perhaps even before then), I could work my way over to the territory north of that one (your current northernmost of your pair in Arabia Felix), which would insulate my capital from Arabian raids just as well. Then if I can develop a decent harbor in that area (which doesn't look as promising admittedly), we could trade off so that you have a developed harbor territory in connection with your Arabian allies, paid for by my development efforts, and I still have insulating territories to buffer my capital from them.

A long-term consideration, contingent on many factors to be sure. We can revisit the topic later when-if-ever I survive my sad fraternal war down here.

As far as the Egyptians are concerned Himjar Region and Mafonitare are both merely held in trust for the Sabaens. Whenever you are ready take both.
All I would say is that as there is no way for me to hand you the territory or give it up you will need to declare war on Egypt briefly to do it. Can I ask you are strong enough to occupy both on the same turn before you move so that we can then get a peace quickly as having several nations at war with me hurts my diplo standing.

As far as Arabia is concerned you can just build pallisades in the border regions and it reduces the raids a lot.

They are doing a fine job v the Judeans at the minute so they wont be bothering you down there as far as invasions are concerned. :)

JasonPratt

Ah, noted, thanks! -- although I do want Egypt to keep a port territory in southern Arabia somewhere. That being said, I'd get significant benefits from consolidating regions or provinces or whatever they are, and those two territories are part of Arabia Felix. So I'm unsure of where to help you keep a foothold as thanks for the assistance.

Well, I assume you'll be consolidating the Nubian areas eventually and maybe even all the area south to the horn; Ethiopia talks like they're my allies, but technically aren't which is weird, and sure haven't acted in any such way. I won't complain if they're removed. And then you'll have all the southern Red Sea port areas you could possibly want. But I still want to be helpful for the assistance.  O:-)

Re pallisades: in my experience, they don't help a lot so far. But they shouldn't: raiding calcs are based on roughly the same standard calcs as any non-manual battle, so what counts is how strong the garrison is, how strong any mobile forces in the region are, and then to some degree how strong the town/city protections are (like pallisades and walls). If they send a punkie-ass group down to randomly raid around one of your territories, and the dice roll up my capital, they're gonna get hammered -- probably. I'm not sure but there might always be a minor chance of success in raids, since the goal isn't to take and hold but to grab and leave doing damage along the way as a side-effect.

Anyway, I will definitely be herding the Qats first, and if the only way to trade territories is to declare war briefly then peace then I'll definitely want to bulk up first to get that done as quickly as possible against your local defenders. So that'll be a while.  :peace: I'll revisit the topic later.

Tripoli

Quote from: devoncop on August 21, 2019, 01:06:29 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on August 20, 2019, 07:04:58 PM
Gathered once again,
Harbor of the sea!
In a year or two,
Justice shall set free.

As far as the Egyptians are concerned Himjar Region and Mafonitare are both merely held in trust for the Sabaens. Whenever you are ready take both.
All I would say is that as there is no way for me to hand you the territory or give it up you will need to declare war on Egypt briefly to do it. Can I ask you are strong enough to occupy both on the same turn before you move so that we can then get a peace quickly as having several nations at war with me hurts my diplo standing.

As far as Arabia is concerned you can just build pallisades in the border regions and it reduces the raids a lot.

They are doing a fine job v the Judeans at the minute so they wont be bothering you down there as far as invasions are concerned. :)

I wish my negotiations with Syracuse over Bruttium could be as reasonable.... :(
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln