Yet another launcher...

Started by steve58, September 18, 2019, 10:09:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

:tickedoff: How many more freaking launchers/distributor thingies does the world need?  Pretty soon every single game company will have their own launcher... :pullhair:

The simply named Rockstar Games Launcher went live worldwide on Tuesday on Windows PCs, and it includes the ability to purchase and install a range of Rockstar-developed games (and their associated microtransactions). This is the first time Rockstar has offered direct purchases of its PC games, as opposed to serving games on services such as Steam. With that in mind, the launcher also lets players find and boot existing Rockstar games' Steam installations

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/09/rockstar-gives-away-a-gta-classic-to-get-you-to-install-its-new-games-launcher/
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Jarhead0331

I thought they already had something similar to this. It pops up when I run GTA5. Maybe it is just the "Social Club"?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

RommelFox

Quote from: steve58 on September 18, 2019, 10:09:01 AM
:tickedoff: How many more freaking launchers/distributor thingies does the world need?  Pretty soon every single game company will have their own launcher... :pullhair:

Ugh.  It's the same thing with everyone trying to do their own streaming service for their shows.  Just stop, it's getting to be too much.
My ancient Egypt site:
Gods and Pharaohs

Huw the Poo

I'm surprised Rockstar even bothered, considering they don't give a shit about PC.  Although I suppose this is all about making money and nothing beneficial for the customer, so....

al_infierno

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 18, 2019, 11:13:58 AM
I thought they already had something similar to this. It pops up when I run GTA5. Maybe it is just the "Social Club"?

It's a new launcher in addition to the Social Club, probably meant to eventually replace it.  A side effect of this is that people who purchased via Steam cannot play with people who purchased via Social Club.

This new launcher adds yet another layer of internet checks, lengthens the already ridiculous load times, and requires you to be always online for singleplayer.  Total garbage.  I actually uninstalled GTA V because of this, I'd already had it with the long-ass loading times and constant CTDs.  My SSD space could be better utilized with a shitton of Arma mods.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Tpek

Quote from: RommelFox on September 18, 2019, 11:48:08 AM
Quote from: steve58 on September 18, 2019, 10:09:01 AM

Ugh.  It's the same thing with everyone trying to do their own streaming service for their shows.  Just stop, it's getting to be too much.

Streaming services are in a worse situation.
Not only it means we (at least those of us outside the U.S) have to wait for those service providers to bother agreeing to service humanity as a whole, but everyone has to pay for each streaming service provider separately. :(

FarAway Sooner

They wouldn't be doing all of this if Steam were cheaper/easier to do business with.  I say let 'em try, and if the experience is better than what Steam offers, or just a similar experience, and the developers get to keep more of the money, go with it.  If your client experience sucks (and it often does), just limit yourself to Steam purchases.

I get that it complicates the landscape for us gamers.  But I think it's impossible to not lay some of the blame on Steam.  Both are for-profit firms trying to maximize revenue.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on September 19, 2019, 07:54:44 AM
They wouldn't be doing all of this if Steam were cheaper/easier to do business with.  I say let 'em try, and if the experience is better than what Steam offers, or just a similar experience, and the developers get to keep more of the money, go with it.  If your client experience sucks (and it often does), just limit yourself to Steam purchases.

I get that it complicates the landscape for us gamers.  But I think it's impossible to not lay some of the blame on Steam.  Both are for-profit firms trying to maximize revenue.

I don't think they are doing this so much because steam has hurt them. I think they are doing it because they want to emulate what Steam has built. Its been a gold mine for valve and has far surpassed their accomplishments as a developer of games.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Huw the Poo

Jarhead is 100% correct.  "If the experience is better than what Steam offers" - well it's not even close, with any client, and some of them have had years and haven't been hobbled by the same ridiculous kind of "flat management" style Valve apparently uses either.

Valve have said in the past that the cut they ask for is necessary in order to fund the development they do on Steam.  Without being privy to their accounting records, it's hard to argue otherwise.

It's easy to lose sight of just how much work Valve put into Steam.  And not just Steam either - Windows-only people will not realise it, but Valve contribute shitloads to the free software community as well.  Like, a TON.  Read about Proton, for just one example.

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: Huw the Poo on September 19, 2019, 11:34:35 AM
Jarhead is 100% correct.  "If the experience is better than what Steam offers" - well it's not even close, with any client, and some of them have had years and haven't been hobbled by the same ridiculous kind of "flat management" style Valve apparently uses either.

Valve have said in the past that the cut they ask for is necessary in order to fund the development they do on Steam.  Without being privy to their accounting records, it's hard to argue otherwise.

It's easy to lose sight of just how much work Valve put into Steam.  And not just Steam either - Windows-only people will not realise it, but Valve contribute shitloads to the free software community as well.  Like, a TON.  Read about Proton, for just one example.
Steam is estimated to have made more than $4BN revenue in 2017, which is the last year I can find numbers for.  Any time a privately owned Fortune 1000 company tells me that they're pricing just enough to cover their business, forgive me if I'm skeptical.

I've seen how much money Steam makes.  I'm not going into details, so I won't expect any of you to really believe me, and that's fine, but Steam is making PLENTY of money.  A ton more than almost all of the developers who put their goods up there.

I'm not bashing Steam.  It's a good product, and really the only game launcher I use.  But it is a free market.  If somebody else wants to try making another launcher that's just as good or better, more power to them!

Huw the Poo

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on September 20, 2019, 11:25:22 PM
If somebody else wants to try making another launcher that's just as good or better, more power to them!

Absolutely!  I didn't complain when GOG made their own launcher, or EA, or anyone else!  I have a particular problem with Epic because of their shitty practices, not because they entered the market.  Like I said, Valve use their powers for good, Epic use theirs for evil.