Started by PopeFrancis, December 04, 2019, 05:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

^well that clears everything up... :hide:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

SirAndrewD

Ok...at this point the only thing I can conclude is that this thread is some kind of weird elaborate trolling by the new posters. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

They do not appear to be trolls...just an eccentric lot of old curmudgeons.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4727818&mpage=1&key=

I wish them luck with their project, although not sure what the beef with TOAW is...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

76mm

Guys, I think it would be best if we have a dedicated forum.  I've set one up here:  https://russianfrontreview.com/AOC/

I've got it up and running, although I'm sure will need to tweak a bunch of things.  So far I've set up subforums on various topics, etc., hopefully it will provide for a more structured discussion.  Please go ahead and register and say hello.

Jarhead0331

^Surprised you didn't decide to go the full 88mm...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

DD696

Grown ups have to leave now!!

Goodbye, Kiddie World

You've been most gracious.
First to Fight:  United States Marine
We don't take kindly to Idjits

Gusington

Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

This whole episode was just...weird.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

W8taminute

Quote from: 76mm on December 06, 2019, 09:15:20 AM
Guys, I think it would be best if we have a dedicated forum.  I've set one up here:  https://russianfrontreview.com/AOC/

I've got it up and running, although I'm sure will need to tweak a bunch of things.  So far I've set up subforums on various topics, etc., hopefully it will provide for a more structured discussion.  Please go ahead and register and say hello.

I think you would need to stick to that link you posted then. 

The structure of this website is not meant for what you guys intended.  And from reading your posts it is not entirely clear what was intended.  Furthermore you all ignored the responses to your bellyaching which indicates to me that you were inserted here simply to cause destruction and then leave at the first sign of organized resistance. 

Who is the adolescent now?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

DD696

Quite obliviously, you. If you would like any more answers, please feel free to continue.

And the cow says, moooo!

Just trying to help out with your education.

Tomorrow we start with the letter "a".

DD696

Where did all the chill'uns go? Running home to mommy for dinner time.

Jarhead0331

DD696, you have been nothing by rude, hostile and belligerent since you came here, and for entirely no reason whatsoever.

You have tried my patience beyond that of any one in recent memory. We are fortunate to have a great community here.

I'm giving you a 7 day time out to think and reflect upon your attitude. You're welcome to start over when the ban expires, I do not hold grudges.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

PopeFrancis

Quote from: SirAndrewD on December 05, 2019, 09:51:44 PM
I for one can say I'm 1000% confused as to WTF is going on here.  So, sorry for my previous random comment, I try to be welcoming to new people with a bit of humor.

If you want to see how a developer can come to this forum and build a following, check out the Admiral's developer thread on Task Force Admiral.  He came on, was open, friendly, and directly discussed what he wanted to do. 

He got volunteers, financial offers, and a lot of support and advice.  We keep on giving it too. 

Being a Grog absolutely means there's some grumbles.  But, we're still a community that goes back to the old Wargamer days.   We have a sense of humor to which we are not apologetic.  And we also deeply support people that want to build and develop.  We just kind of like to know WTF is going on first. 

Forgive us for being a bit contrary and confused for a lot of people with less than 10 posts appearing and not telling us who and what they are.   We get a TON of bots here and sometimes we expect the worst.

Anyway, accept my apology for a random funny comment, or don't.  I can grumble with the rest of them, but I prefer not to if possible.
No worries.  I completely understand.  What we'd like to do is write a wargame to replace TOAW.  We're sick of the vaporware shuffle and we're trying to take matters into our own hands.  So far there's only 5 of us but it's only just now gotten off the ground.  We're moving over here from the Matrix site to avoid any unpleasantness or lawsuits, etc.  I'm one of the TOAW playtesters and I detected my boss peaking in yesterday so he probably knows what we're up to.  Oh well.  Can't keep it a secret for long anyway. 

I'm wondering if we should write it from fresh scratch in C# or if we should use one of those game-building software packages.  Anybody have any experience with those?  I'll have to look into it.  Google "free game building software" or something.  I've already downloaded the 2017 version of MS Visual Studio (Enterprise Edition) for free and installed it.  Now I need to teach myself C# I suppose. 

I have no idea what we're getting into but who knows it might be fun.
there's two things that everyone needs to know:
(1) 90% of the human race lives near the coast.
(2)  human beings can't breathe under water.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: PopeFrancis on December 06, 2019, 06:56:56 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on December 05, 2019, 09:51:44 PM
I for one can say I'm 1000% confused as to WTF is going on here.  So, sorry for my previous random comment, I try to be welcoming to new people with a bit of humor.

If you want to see how a developer can come to this forum and build a following, check out the Admiral's developer thread on Task Force Admiral.  He came on, was open, friendly, and directly discussed what he wanted to do. 

He got volunteers, financial offers, and a lot of support and advice.  We keep on giving it too. 

Being a Grog absolutely means there's some grumbles.  But, we're still a community that goes back to the old Wargamer days.   We have a sense of humor to which we are not apologetic.  And we also deeply support people that want to build and develop.  We just kind of like to know WTF is going on first. 

Forgive us for being a bit contrary and confused for a lot of people with less than 10 posts appearing and not telling us who and what they are.   We get a TON of bots here and sometimes we expect the worst.

Anyway, accept my apology for a random funny comment, or don't.  I can grumble with the rest of them, but I prefer not to if possible.
No worries.  I completely understand.  What we'd like to do is write a wargame to replace TOAW.  We're sick of the vaporware shuffle and we're trying to take matters into our own hands.  So far there's only 5 of us but it's only just now gotten off the ground.  We're moving over here from the Matrix site to avoid any unpleasantness or lawsuits, etc.  I'm one of the TOAW playtesters and I detected my boss peaking in yesterday so he probably knows what we're up to.  Oh well.  Can't keep it a secret for long anyway. 

I'm wondering if we should write it from fresh scratch in C# or if we should use one of those game-building software packages.  Anybody have any experience with those?  I'll have to look into it.  Google "free game building software" or something.  I've already downloaded the 2017 version of MS Visual Studio (Enterprise Edition) for free and installed it.  Now I need to teach myself C# I suppose. 

I have no idea what we're getting into but who knows it might be fun.

If you want some honest advice and thoughts based on the comments I have seen here and read over at the Matrix forum?  Team is well underestimating the effort to pull this off.  Creating a modern cross-platform strategy wargame would take considerable effort and skill to pull off.  Most of the discussion so far was about what development language or what file format the editor files should be in.....those things should be the furthest thing from your mind at this point.  How are you going to come up with the actual game design?  How are you going to figure out the AI?  How will this be different from TOAW?  TOAW was built over the last decade or more, how are you going to replicate that kind of knowledge?  Where is everyone going to find the time to devote thousands and thousands of hours to complete this work?

After you figure that out, you will eventually need to figure out how to physically develop it.  The tools mentioned so far are not going to cut it (i.e. Python, software game builders, COBOL, etc.).  Do you have people well versed and available to create code in modern tools?  And then when your complete, your going to give away in free open source?

Certainly applaud you for your goals and desire, but think your in for some surprises and a long road ahead of you.....

Staggerwing

Dude! You're harshing their mellow!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys