2016 Baseball HoF Ballot

Started by bayonetbrant, November 09, 2015, 11:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marty Ward

Quote from: MetalDog on November 12, 2015, 12:25:41 PM

And they don't elect players into the Hall based on 7 year snapshots of their careers :P

They don't elect them based on the position they played either. They elect them on whether they were a GOAT.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

Bison

I'm not sure what the hell criteria they use to elect players any longer.  Most of the criteria is apparently emotionally based.  The point of the JAWS is to compare players by position on offensive stats.  Yes it uses a 7 year best WAR averaged against their career WAR, so it isn't merely a 7 year stat that is a misinterpretation.  It also uses several dozen other stats in is construction.  Offensively, by career numbers and JAWS, and defensively which there is also a WAR score for Trammel is 34th of ALL players regardless of position.  Smith is #1 and Ripken is #2.  So coupled with is offensive JAWS and the defensive WAR, Trammel is clearly one of the best ever base purely on statistics.  Jeter FYI isn't in the top 50 defensively, hell I gave up looking after #100.  :)  Trammel suffered some injuries at the end of his career, like all of them do.  Trammel was an effective SS position player both offensively and defensively.  His stats regardless of which metric you use that are based on sabermetrics, which most of those writers rely on for stat analysis, are impressive for his position and era.  He does compare very favorably with his era and without question was one of the top SS.  I'd only consider Ripken and Smith better. 

It's cool your a Yankees fan.  They are like the Borg of baseball, however. 

What the hell is GOAT Marty?

Marty Ward

Quote from: Bison on November 12, 2015, 01:09:37 PM

What the hell is GOAT Marty?

Greatest of all time.

That is who belongs in the Hall regardless of position played, JAWS, WAR, OPS or WTF. :)
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

Bison

Ah...that's what I was thinking, but acronyms throw me off sometimes.  I'm thinking the WTF stat is what drives most of the "experts" voting. 

Bison

This is a very good breakdown of each player and I'm pretty sure this is what is sent to the voters.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/hof_2016.shtml

I think this will be a small HoF class this year Griffey Jr. and either Piazza or Bagwell.  It's a shame because Shilling and Lee should be in there too.

Marty Ward

Quote from: Bison on November 12, 2015, 01:26:41 PM
Ah...that's what I was thinking, but acronyms throw me off sometimes.  I'm thinking the WTF stat is what drives most of the "experts" voting. 

There was a time when the BBWAA writers covered baseball almost exclusively and mostly year round. They traveled with the teams, they knew the players and knew baseball. They probably were the most qualified to vote for the HOF.
It's different now, there are very few dedicated baseball writers, and the few that are left don't all even follow baseball much, and there are so many more measurements that can be used to determine who gets in. Since there are so few writers who really know baseball I do agree that others should be allowed to vote. I'm not sure if there should be a cut and dried formula to follow for election though.

Marty Ward

Quote from: Bison on November 12, 2015, 01:40:22 PM
This is a very good breakdown of each player and I'm pretty sure this is what is sent to the voters.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/hof_2016.shtml

I think this will be a small HoF class this year Griffey Jr. and either Piazza or Bagwell.  It's a shame because Shilling and Lee should be in there too.

I don't know about Schilling. The others should at least be put to a vote.

Bison

No Schilling?  OMG!  I'm alone on my island of baseball greatness!

I agree about the sports writers.  Baseball is unfortunately, like most sports, relegated to off-season football filler. 

MetalDog

Go Marty!! NO SCHILLING! NO SCHILLING! NO SCHILLING!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Bison

What's the name of the last great Yankees starting pitcher?  I know, I know, but for some reason I just cannot recall the name....hmmm...

Marty Ward

I'm just not sure Schilling is among the greats. He certainly had some 3-4 years out of the 20 he played and was really good in the post season but he is very similar to a lot of other guys who aren't/won't get in.

Bison

/sigh/ Life has no meaning now.  :)

Marty Ward

Quote from: Bison on November 12, 2015, 02:24:20 PM

Don't be sad. I'd vote for him to get into the Hall of above average players! :)

Bison

Quote from: Marty Ward on November 12, 2015, 02:29:47 PM
Quote from: Bison on November 12, 2015, 02:24:20 PM

Don't be sad. I'd vote for him to get into the Hall of above average players! :)

Well there clearly need to be a hall of better than average and not glamorized by park avenue players.

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob