Midway remake out in cinemas NOV 8

Started by Destraex, June 09, 2019, 04:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoganismyHERO

I'd go see it just for the prudy graphics. This movie isn't meant to be an academy award winner folks. Enjoy it for what it is, or don't.

JasonPratt

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 16, 2019, 09:27:53 PM
Looks like Pearl Harbor 2: PEARL HARDER!

As long as it isn't made by the South Park guys, I am willing to accept this.  O0 Bay's PH was meant to be a 1940s melodrama with updated effects, not a remake of Tora Tora Tora (though I would have preferred that, too.)

I do however look forward to the AMERICA, F-K YEAH videos.  :D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

I wonder if this new version of the battle will allow the Americans to win? Or will Halsey and Yamamoto meet at a neutral location and negotiate peace, then sink both their fleets to make reefs for the whales to live in.  :dreamer:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 17, 2019, 09:30:57 AM
I wonder if this new version of the battle will allow the Americans to win? Or will Halsey and Yamamoto meet at a neutral location and negotiate peace, then sink both their fleets to make reefs for the whales to live in China to claim the ocean with by building small bases on them.  :dreamer:

Have to think of the Chinese market nowadays.  >:D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Sir Slash

Halsey? Halsey wasn't even at Midway, but why let reality stand in the way of entertainment I say.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

Opens in a week.  Hope it does not suck. 

I have the original on DVD if it does.   :bd:

JasonPratt

TTT was a great consolation to Bay's Pearl Harbor (though that film has grown on me once I adjusted my expectations for what it was supposed to be).

Also I picked up a really nice Pearl Harbor documentary released around the time of Bay's film (or possibly re-released; I've watched it a few times and recall it being an older production, perhaps even dating back to TTT or before). It goes through several episodes into a ton of contextual material for the attack.

Gusington

This production definitely reeks of The Suck.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Now that I'm home, that doc's name was Attack on Pearl Harbor: Day of Infamy. It includes a single, shorter doc on the attack itself, iirc, but aside from the footage I wasn't as impressed with that one.

airboy

3 days before release and next to no reviews up - almost always a very, very bad sign.

Pete Dero

Today my local newspaper rated it 1 out of 5.

Google translation from Dutch :

Now that entire sea battle - which was also carried in the air - was filmed by Roland Emmerich, the captain of the disaster film. The man who blew up the White House in Independence Day puts in the necessary pathos and patriotism. "Are we going after the japs, Sir?" "Yeah, we're gonna smoke' m to death. ".

For 100 million dollars you can buy a lot, but apparently no good flying scenes. Who wants to know why Christopher Nolan really wanted to fly around in Dunkirk with airplanes, should see how ridiculously the computer work is doing here.

besilarius

A veteran who knew Dick Best had this to say:

In the LA Times review today, the character of Dick Best (the most important one in the story, at least in history), describes him as:

"Hot dog pilot Dick Best, a gum-chewer from New Jersey whose gifts as an aviator are overshadowed by a hot-headed desire to throw caution about the Japanese to the winds and "put a 500 pound bomb down their smokestack" - this when he's aboard Enterprise on December 7, 1941 and learns the Japanese are attacking Pearl Harbor.

The review continues: "While Best, aided by his wife Ann has to learn to moderate his temper to become a better leader of men..."

BULL-FUCKING-SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I knew Dick Best over the last ten years of his life, and I talked to several people who had known him "back in the day," and none of that Hollywood Horseshit above has the slightest anything to do with the reality of the man.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

airboy

Thus far, the people who went to see Midway liked it.

Grim.Reaper

Saw it yesterday, watchable but nothing special

Martok

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 09, 2019, 12:23:05 PM
watchable but nothing special
This seems to be the overall verdict of the movie so far. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces