The Great Old Ones are spreading their control

Started by besilarius, October 05, 2015, 05:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Nefaro

Somewhat related, Cthulhu Wars has hit retail shelves. 

At a seizure inducing $150-$200 price tag.

;D

Silent Disapproval Robot

Saw one on the shelves at the game store last weekend called Miskatonic School for Girls.  I'm starting to think that Cthulhu stuff reached peak nerd quite a while ago and is now becoming a self-referential joke. 

Wes

HPL is a very hot property right now. There are dozens of games out and more on the way. Films, radio style drama recordings and audio books are springing up everywhere.

The big thing is that it is finally being recognized that his work is in the Public Domain and and everyone has jumped in with both feet. FFG makes 5 games (soon to be 4...they are killing of the Call of Cthulhu LCG) just by them self.

Every week new games pop up on KS and this years NecronomiCon in Providence was the biggest event held so far celebrating the man and the work.

He's just finally getting his due...and stay away from that Miskatonic School for Girls...baaaaad game :)
"I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."  - Frank Herbert

Nefaro

Most gaming implementations have been pretty Blah.  A handful of tabletop stuff is quite good, of course, but there's a lot of junk too.  I think quality Lovecraftian digital games are still yet to be seen although there has been some promising indie developments in the works lately.

I'm happy to see Lovecraft, and Lovecraft-inspired stuff, finally become more popular.  It's been over 25 years since I first started reading HPL, in my early teens, and loved it.  Now I'm finally getting a dose of it in areas other than just novels & stories.    8)

Edit:  And why would we want to get a Lovecraft-themed Yahtzee when there are titles like Ancient Terrible Things that do it better.   ^-^

Wes

Best part is Elder Sign is often called Arkham Yahtzee :)

"I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."  - Frank Herbert

Arctic Blast

I have no interest in Chtulhu Yahtzee as a game.

As a bunch of awesome looking pieces, though...those dice are sweet and that Cthulhu dice cup is INSANE.

Nefaro

Quote from: Arctic Blast on October 06, 2015, 12:32:09 AM

As a bunch of awesome looking pieces, though...those dice are sweet and that Cthulhu dice cup is INSANE.

That's a dice cup?!

:o

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Nefaro on October 06, 2015, 11:21:03 AM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on October 06, 2015, 12:32:09 AM

That's a dice cup?!

:o

Sure is. And since it's driving you mad right now, it's also thematic!  ;D

Wes

"I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.