The Groginati Sales Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

Quote from: Huw the Poo on June 06, 2013, 01:15:47 PM
Dominions 3 is an obvious buy, but don't overlook Conquest of Elysium 3 for $2.50; that's a ridiculous amount of gaming for sod all money!

Damn you guys!   >:(
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

-budd-

Opinions wanted from the masses. I own Civ 4 complete[haven't sunk a lot of time into it even though i've had it for a few years] I see Civ 5 is on sale. I sunk a crap load of time into Civ2 and not quite as much into Civ 3 . I played deep into the games while playing 2 & 3 but never finished a game, the late mid-game onward just feel like it bogged down to me. hopefully people here with experience with both can't enlighten me on the differences in the games. I know there's hexes in 5 but not much else, i will be reading up on it before I decide to  purchase or not  and checking out some utube vids and AAR's but I wanted some opinions. Should i jump or stick with 4 and actually give it some time.just not sure i have the stamina or attention span anymore for these types of games.Thx for any and all opinions.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on June 06, 2013, 07:04:56 PM
Anyone try out the CoH2 beta?

Not yet. I'm going to be AFK most of the weekend until Sunday afternoon anyway, so unsure when (if ever) I'll get to it.

Still, I'm interested in impressions, too. :)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Toonces on June 06, 2013, 09:50:15 PM
Dominions 3 is an obvious buy, but don't overlook Conquest of Elysium 3 for $2.50; that's a ridiculous amount of gaming for sod all money!

Dive in, Toonces!  We'll start a game of Dom 3 in which we all pile on Jason! \o/

Gusington

Budd - like you I had not played a Civ game since Civ II, and that was on a Playstation no less. I picked up Civ V and Gods amd Kings along with some DLCs and I enjoy it. The end game can get a little bogged down still, but there is still a lot of fun to be had and the game is very customizable nd moddable. Some.ideas in the Civ games I still don't like, such as the spearmen vs. tanks sort of thing...but once I got over that I really enjoyed Civ V. Guys with more Civ experience could give you more specific info, but to start with, Civ V is a giant historically flavored play set. What you do with it is up to you, but with mods and expansions you'll have a lot to choose from.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Quote from: Huw the Poo on June 07, 2013, 01:28:39 AM
Quote from: Toonces on June 06, 2013, 09:50:15 PM

Dive in, Toonces!  We'll start a game of Dom 3 in which we all pile on Jason! \o/

I already called no alliances for the next game (whenever I get around to testing Groghawk). So the moment the dogpile starts, I boot you all and instantly win.

... ........ THIS IS THE GREATEST STRATEGY EVER!!! {scribbling anti-diplomacy secret diplomacy manipulations notes}
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

W8taminute

@ -budd- (shhhh not *budd*)  :)

I've been playing civ ever since the civ 1 days on Nintendo Entertainment System.  I own them all and I used to eat civ up with a voracious appetite.  I'm kind of burnt out with the game and there are so many really awesome modern games out now that I doubt I'll ever go back to civ.  Well that is not entirely true, MetalDog has been nice enough to setup a 5 human player game with Civ 4 that we play once a week online. 

At any rate, if you loved Civ 2 and have some exposure to Civ 4 then I think you will enjoy Civ 5.  Civ 5 has kind of sorta the same feeling as Civ 1 and 2 but looks and feels kind of sorta like Civ 4.  However, in my opinion Civ 5 is the best in the series. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

W8taminute

I was all over that deal yesterday like a cheap suit!  Can't wait to play it but it will have to wait as my backlog of games right now is huge. 

Can you play PBEM games with CoE3?  I would be willing to play with some of the guys here as both a learning tool and just to play another human being.   8)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Bison

Huw and I were talking about playing a MP game, but I'm not sure that it works the same as DOM3 pbem. 

W8taminute

Sounds good.  If this game is not as technically challenging to setup a PBEM game as Dom3 is count me in.  If there's room of course.

Bison

Yeah Huw actually understands the system more than I do.  I think it's cause he's Scottish or Welsh or Irish or something.   :P

JasonPratt

It's relatively easy to set up a Dom3 mp game through Llamaserver nowadays. But an internal engine for mp would certainly be much better.

I snapped up Civ3 and Civ4 complete today -- I've played Master of Magic, and some RTS games based on Civ (notably Rise of Nations Gold), and several MoM successors, but never Civ.

I figure I can get a lot of milage from those before the price drops on the new Civ5 expansion as part of an overall Civ5 set.

W8taminute

You wont' regret it Jason.  Civ3 has a ton and I mean a ton of really good mods, maps, and scenarios as does Civ 4.  Those mods alone caused me to waste almost the entire decade of the 1990's! 

Bison I work with both Scotsmen and Irishmen as well as one Englishwoman and I must say they're all cool.  Plus they know how to drink beer.

Huw the Poo

I know the game (CoE3) fairly well but I have yet to play multiplayer.  Don't quote me but I believe it's network play.  PBEM wouldn't really work since it's such a fast game (compared to Dom3 at least).

We really must get a game going at some point.  Unlike in Dom3, I know how to play a necromancer in CoE3! 8)

Nefaro

Quote from: W8taminute on June 07, 2013, 02:36:36 PM

I was all over that deal yesterday like a cheap suit!  Can't wait to play it but it will have to wait as my backlog of games right now is huge. 

Can you play PBEM games with CoE3?  I would be willing to play with some of the guys here as both a learning tool and just to play another human being.   8)

I believe CoE3 is direct IP (live) multiplayer.  Not sure if it has PBEM, but if it does - it would take forever.  There are a LOT of turns in most games, as you're mostly only moving a couple armies and every once in awhile recruiting or summoning reinforcements.

The multiplayer for COE3 seems to be well-received despite the luck of the random world possibly causing you to be unlucky at times.