The Groginati Sales Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Ah networked play.  That's cool.  Gives me another excuse for the warden to setup a game night out with the boys.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Kushan

Quote from: W8taminute on June 07, 2013, 02:34:02 PM
@ -budd- (shhhh not *budd*)  :)

I've been playing civ ever since the civ 1 days on Nintendo Entertainment System.  I own them all and I used to eat civ up with a voracious appetite.  I'm kind of burnt out with the game and there are so many really awesome modern games out now that I doubt I'll ever go back to civ.  Well that is not entirely true, MetalDog has been nice enough to setup a 5 human player game with Civ 4 that we play once a week online. 

At any rate, if you loved Civ 2 and have some exposure to Civ 4 then I think you will enjoy Civ 5.  Civ 5 has kind of sorta the same feeling as Civ 1 and 2 but looks and feels kind of sorta like Civ 4.  However, in my opinion Civ 5 is the best in the series.

Did they ever get around to patching the AI to be somewhat decent?
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

W8taminute

Quote from: KushanDid they ever get around to patching the AI to be somewhat decent?

It depends on which version.  Civ3 started out with a mediocre AI until it was patched.  Then the AI made fairly good use of arty and land warfare.  It still never got amphibious assaults right nor the naval war in general.  Some of the mods and scenario creators did a decent job though taking advantage of certain AI quirks to make the game challenging.  El Justo's Age of Imperialism scenario comes to mind.

Civ4 definitely was a little bit better and I recommend using the Warlords and/or Beyond the Sword add on for a challenging AI.

Civ 5 is pretty good right out of the box but is really good with the Gods and Kings add on.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Steelgrave

Civ 5 is my hands down favorite, and I've played them all. Adding hexes and ranged fire breathed new life into the franchise in a way that nothing else could have done. While still not a wargame per se, it's a helluva strategy game. And diplomacy has finally been fixed, so you're not piled on constantly no matter what you do. It's a must-have, imho.

Kushan

Quote from: W8taminute on June 07, 2013, 10:00:05 PM
Quote from: KushanDid they ever get around to patching the AI to be somewhat decent?
Civ 5 is pretty good right out of the box but is really good with the Gods and Kings add on.

Civ 5 is the one I'm looking at. I already own vanilla Civ 5. Got it a few months after it came out and wasn't to impressed with it. But with Civ 5 Gold on sale I'm considering jumping back in if its been improved. IIRC when Gods and Kings came out people said the AI was better, but after its first attack wave it wasn't really able to follow up.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat

Steelgrave

Civ V right out of the box was a bitter disappointment. It ran sloooowly, and no matter what you did, every other Civ hated you within a short time. There were other well-documented problems as well, but those two ruined the game for me. But every patch fixed something, and the Gods and Kings expansion elevated it to where it needed to be. The AI in attack mode IS much better than it was, but that being said, it's still not a strong point of the game if you are evenly matched. But the AI will occasionally pull a surprise and you can find yourself in hot water. If all else fails, adjusting the difficulty level can make quite a difference in the challenge level of the game.

republic

Right now you can get Bioshock Infinite for $27.99.

It is on sale at Gamefly for $34.99 and during checkout enter the code GFDJUN20 which takes it to $27.99.

It activates on Steam so that is a plus and a minus for some.

Tpek

Quote from: republic on June 08, 2013, 03:51:23 PM
Right now you can get Bioshock Infinite for $27.99.

It is on sale at Gamefly for $34.99 and during checkout enter the code GFDJUN20 which takes it to $27.99.

It activates on Steam so that is a plus and a minus for some.

It should be noted that this being Gamefly, the game is available through them for North Americans only.

Gusington

Company of Heroes 2 is 45.00 with voucher code at Green Man Gaming.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

steve58

Quote from: Gusington on June 08, 2013, 10:50:37 PM
Company of Heroes 2 is 45.00 with voucher code at Green Man Gaming.

...and the CivV: Brave New World DLC pre-order for $20 using code: GMG25-GDSAK-7FPWQ.

Code/discount good until June 14th at 11am ET...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

steve58

GetGamesGo is having a 75% off Total War Collections sale:

• Empire: Total War Collection         $7.49
  • Medieval II: Total War Collection      $4.99
  • Napoleon: Total War Collection      $7.49
  • Rome: Total War Collection         $3.24
  • Total War: Grand Master Collection      $41.24
  • Total War: Master Collection         $22.49
  • Total War: Shogun 2 Collection               $12.49
  • Total War: Shogun 2 Fall Of The Samurai Collection      $9.99

...all Steam codes
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Kushan

Anyone here able to recommend The Witcher 1 and 2?

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat

Silent Disapproval Robot

Witcher 1 yes. Witcher 2, not so much.

Tpek

I did really like Witcher 2 TBH.
Also, the Modding SDK for it was recently released so you can expect some nice mods to come out.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Tpek on June 15, 2013, 04:18:29 AM
I did really like Witcher 2 TBH.
Also, the Modding SDK for it was recently released so you can expect some nice mods to come out.

Can't believe I forgot about this one.....I picked Witcher 2 up in a sale when it was like $6 and never installed it.  Going to have to do that some day.