The Groginati Sales Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Star Ruler looks good.  Anyone ever played it?  Any good?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Rayfer

Quote from: Kushan on June 18, 2013, 07:52:42 PM
Any opinions on Planesscape Torment?

Edit: I hate you GOG....So many games I want on sale

Considered by many to be one of the great all-time rpg classics.  But be prepared to read lots and lots and lots of dialogue.

Nefaro

Quote from: W8taminute on June 18, 2013, 08:49:39 PM

I recall some mention of it feeling unfinished or incomplete in some way. 

With all the 4X space strategy games out there these days, I already own more than I have time to play so that didn't encourage me to try it.

JasonPratt

Anomaly: Warzone Earth is $2.49 today at Gamersgate. I've been playing this recently in what passes for my spare time, and it's a clever little anti-towerD game, where you run around the map as an armored scout shepherding your task force through the ruined roads of Baghdad and Tokyo fighting the towers of an alien invasion (and picking up the occasional Air Force drops). A more ambitious sequel was released a few months ago, and I picked that up on sale at the same time, but haven't played it yet.

The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Athena game is mostly only worth it for the "Escape From Butcher Bay" game packed with it, but certainly worth the $3.74 they're asking. New Riddick film sounds like it's shaping up good, word from Diesel is there will be at least one more game on the way as well!

Fantasy Wars was literally going to be a remake of Fantasy General before the devs lost the license, so they said screw it and wrote their own story. As a 3D port of the Panzer General mechanics to colorful high fantasy tropes (knights, elves, orcs, etc.), it works excellently. Technically the Elven Legacy sequel collection would be better but this is a good start into the story (such as it is). Panzer General with dragons? -- just under $4.00. (For some insane reason EL isn't available on GG or GoG, but you can pick the full EL collection up at Steam currently for $15. Well worth the full asking price, if fantasy-based Panzer General in 3D is of any interest to you, and twice as much content as FW.)

Personally I'm picking up Ascension to the Throne, which was sort of a test-bed either for the FW/EL or the King's Bounty remake series (or both), and Reign: Conflict of Nations which I've heard is essentially an updated version of Knights of Honor concentrated in Eastern Europe minus the wonky RTS portions of KoH.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

Post impressions of Reign: Conflict of Nations!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

panzerde

Quote from: W8taminute on June 18, 2013, 08:49:39 PM

The ship construction is incredible - there's probably no other game with as open and complete ship construction.  You can build anything from sub-meter sized robotic probes up to ringworlds, with an amazing array of weapons, armor, shields, drives, bridges, fighter bays, etc.

The game itself is totally sandbox.  There's no back-story at all.  Despite having cool ship building, ships tend to feel very anonymous and have zero personality.  Your empire ends up feeling the same way.  Diplomacy is very rudimentary - you're going to end up at war with everyone else simultaneously, so there's really no point.

The other issue with the game is pacing.  Despite the sandbox nature of the game, the AI plays in such a way that there's really only a limited number of strategies you can use at the beginning of the game to rapidly expand and set yourself up or you'll quickly be swamped.  In the end, every game feels the same and ends up being a colony rush.

There are some mods that try and even things out a bit and add even more to the ship building, but in the end the game just lacks soul and character.  Its worth messing with just to be able to build some mega-scale ships and for some halfway decent eye-candy, and the feeling of scope if you can get it cheap, but it's no DW or Endless Space.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on June 19, 2013, 07:29:00 PM

It's not-so-good.

Nefaro

The DCS Summer Sale starts tomorrow, the 20th!

DCS Summer Sale

Starting the 20th of June, we will offer massive 60% off sale of DCS products. The exception will be Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3 having a 40% off sale. The sale will last until the 30th of June:
DCS: UH-1H Huey - $19.99
DCS: Combined Arms – $11.99
DCS: P-51D Mustang – $15.99
DCS: Black Shark 2 - $15.99
DCS: Black Shark 2 Upgrade – $11.99
DCS: A-10C Warthog – $15.99
DCS: A-10C Warthog 1.1.0.7 (English DVD box) – $15.99
DCS: Black Shark (DVD box) – $15.99
Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3 – $29.99
DCS: Black Shark – $7.99

Jarhead0331

Air Conflicts: Pacific Carriers is 75% off at gamersgate.  Price comes out to $7.50.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

W8taminute

Thanks Nefaro and panzerde for the comments on Star Ruler.  I might hold off on this game then since I still have quite a backlog to get through and your comments on the game. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

eyebiter

Newegg has Aliens: Colonial Marines (Free after rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832203021

Aliens: Colonial Marines [newegg.com] (PC Game)
    Free after $15 Rebate [newegg.com] + Free Shipping
    Use Promo Code: EMCXPVX237

Gusington

^Hmm...is it worth even 'free' at this point?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on June 19, 2013, 07:29:00 PM

I admire your optimism in thinking that I'll have time to play any of the games I've recently bought in the past few months!  ;D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

I must stay positive in all things.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

Quote from: Gusington on June 20, 2013, 08:58:56 PM
^Hmm...is it worth even 'free' at this point?

I thought JH enjoyed it.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs