The Groginati Sales Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

I liked Fallout 3 and got pretty hammered for my positive review of it. Haven't played New Vegas yet...the majority of people like New Vegas more.

Question: what are the real differences between Imperialism and Imperialism II? The first game covers the 1880s (and earlier 1800s) which I am more interested in...it doesn't look like the second game covers the 1880s time period. Thanks all!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

I looked into those Imperialism games a while back, and IIRC there's a very significant difference in how the engines work (also Imp1 is set during the 19th century, apparently as far as freaking WW1, while Imp2 seems to be 16-18th centuries). They're still both highly regarded, and there are fans of each difference. Both games are cheap anyway at GoG, but are also both 50% off during the summer sale (about $3 each).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

Can't really argue with 3.00, even if the game is 15+ years old.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on June 22, 2013, 11:04:46 AM
I liked Fallout 3 and got pretty hammered for my positive review of it. Haven't played New Vegas yet...the majority of people like New Vegas more.

Question: what are the real differences between Imperialism and Imperialism II? The first game covers the 1880s (and earlier 1800s) which I am more interested in...it doesn't look like the second game covers the 1880s time period. Thanks all!

Aside from the eras represented, Imperialism 2 also has exploration of the new world.  The economic systems of the game are quite different and #2 features exploitation of resources from the new world to progress & get wealthier more quickly.  You still have to win in the old world to win the game but the resources of the new world drives you there.  There are also more diplo options because you can bribe native american tribes & some other extra options over the original.

Something else I like about 2 is the interface isn't so weird.  I find the original's UI rather strange & unwieldy but the second was a big improvement.

Gusington

^Thanks. I'm going to hold off until my backlog of games is a little lighter.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

War of the Roses is $5 on Steam today only.

Mount and Blade collection is like $8.75.

I'd probably pass on WotR at this point.  It's MP only and the community is very much dead.  It's really too bad as I think the game is better than Chivalry but the developers just made stupid decisions that somehow manage to make the game not fun.

Mount and Blade is awesome, but I don't need to tell you all that.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

Game of Thrones Special Edition, the RPG game, not the RTS, is on sale at GG for like $10.  It comes with all the DLC.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 23, 2013, 09:04:04 PM
Game of Thrones Special Edition, the RPG game, not the RTS, is on sale at GG for like $10.  It comes with all the DLC.

Is it any good?
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

JasonPratt

Quote from: Toonces on June 23, 2013, 03:48:18 PMMount and Blade collection is like $8.75.

Note that this is one of those crazy Steam sales where each of the components is 75% off, but the collection is already cheaper than all the components separately so the collection's 75% off means that unless you only want one or two (e.g. Warband and/or Fire and Sword), you'd be better off buying all four than only three.

In effect meaning that if you want everything except the original Warband, you're going to be paying a little extra NOT TO BE STUCK WITH THE ORIGINAL WARBAND IN YOUR GAME LIBRARY.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Quote from: TheCommandTent on June 23, 2013, 10:12:06 PM

Is it any good?

I hear moderately good things about it from fans of the books.

Since I'm not a fan of the books, that counts as "no".  ;D

Nefaro

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 24, 2013, 08:19:05 AM

Is it any good?

I hear moderately good things about it from fans of the books.

Since I'm not a fan of the books, that counts as "no".  ;D

I heard it was way too Cons-hole-ish.

Tpek

Is it any good?

I liked it.
The story and characters were pretty good.
Gameplay was okay.

Disclaimer: I've never read any of G.R.R Martin's books nor watched even a single episode of the show (despite constant pressuring to do so)

-budd-

F.E.A.R. collection  on steam for $13.74   or single titles for 75% off
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/12357/

I'm enjoying F.E.A.R. 1  so I picked up #2
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

steve58

Rise of Flight is having the first of ?? "Ace Sale" for the summer. 

To thank you for your appreciation of our efforts we've prepared several special sales for this summer. We hope they will allow you to get a better feeling of WWI history and expand your hangar with some of the most notable aircraft of the period.

2nd Lieutenant John Ingles Gilmour, was a Sopwith Camel pilot was born on June 28, 1896. Having graduated from Farnborough on 17 March 1916, he joined the war later that year. As an outstanding fighter pilot, John Gilmour was soon renowned for his consistent dash and great fearlessness and decorated accordingly. His Distinguished Service Order stated:

"He is a most inspiriting patrol leader who has destroyed twenty-three enemy aircraft, and shot down eight others out of control. While leading an offensive patrol he shot down one enemy biplane in flames and drove down a second. A short time afterwards he, with four others, attacked about forty enemy scouts. He himself destroyed one in the air, drove another out of control and a third in flames, successfully accounting for five enemy machines in one day".

The Sopwith Camel is the British fighter that brought Gilmour 36 out of 39 victories in aerial combat.

And to celebrate the ace's birthday we start a special discount week from June 22nd till June 28th which means that:

Sopwith Camel's price goes down to $1.99 for everyone who orders it during the week.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

son_of_montfort

So Rise of Flight went Free-to-Play, but charges for additional aircraft? Very interesting. I may have to give it a whirl!
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert