The Groginati Sales Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tinkershuffle

Quote from: Barthheart on July 08, 2013, 09:39:31 AM

Battlefront makes my eyes bleed... just can't stand the graphics styling.
John Tiller's Campaign Series is great. Units are platoon sized and you can control up to a division through an entire campaign. This release has TONS of content.

So the amount of counters/units to move is typically pretty much the same as in Panzer Campaigns (=huge)..?

Tinkershuffle

And how's the grapichs in 2-D view, are there mods available like there is for PzC?

Barthheart

Quote from: Tinkershuffle on July 08, 2013, 10:22:15 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on July 08, 2013, 09:39:31 AM

Battlefront makes my eyes bleed... just can't stand the graphics styling.
John Tiller's Campaign Series is great. Units are platoon sized and you can control up to a division through an entire campaign. This release has TONS of content.

So the amount of counters/units to move is typically pretty much the same as in Panzer Campaigns (=huge)..?

Yes they can be huge. There are a pile of scenarios however that are relatively small... few dozen units...

Barthheart

Quote from: Tinkershuffle on July 08, 2013, 10:26:18 AM
And how's the grapichs in 2-D view, are there mods available like there is for PzC?

The 2D view is really small... and no way to enlarge it.
There are graphics mods..... not sure where to find them now.....

W8taminute

The John Tiller Campaigns seem to be direct copies of Talonsofts West Front East Front series, no?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Barthheart

Quote from: W8taminute on July 08, 2013, 11:59:10 AM
The John Tiller Campaigns seem to be direct copies of Talonsofts West Front East Front series, no?

Not copies... the same thing. I think Matrix bought the rights when Talonsoft went belly up and renamed it John Tiller's because of his popularity in the wargame industry, oh and they are his designs.

Nefaro

Bart's right.  It's the exact same system.  However, this latest version has both East Fronts (I & II), West Front, and the Pacific one along with some (un?)released scenario expansion.  So it's the whole series and then some. 

Despite owning some of the old versions, I'm tempted to pick this up so I have the whole set.  Good old-fashioned turn-based wargaming there.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Nefaro on July 08, 2013, 04:35:05 PM

Bart's right.  It's the exact same system.  However, this latest version has both East Fronts (I & II), West Front, and the Pacific one along with some (un?)released scenario expansion.  So it's the whole series and then some. 

Despite owning some of the old versions, I'm tempted to pick this up so I have the whole set.  Good old-fashioned turn-based wargaming there.

Love me some Campaign Series.  The Matrix version includes alot of extras so I highly recommend picking it up.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Tinkershuffle

How about Battlefront? I've wanted to try those SSG titles for a long time but the price tag has been a an issue before. The 4 scenarios that are included seem a bit random, apparently those are quite large ones though?

JasonPratt

Quote from: Tinkershuffle on July 08, 2013, 11:11:16 PM
How about Battlefront? I've wanted to try those SSG titles for a long time but the price tag has been a an issue before. The 4 scenarios that are included seem a bit random, apparently those are quite large ones though?

Yeah, it's a bit of a grab-bag of operations they wanted to do but didn't want to make a whole game about. But the scale is smaller than the previous SSG games, and they wanted to work on adjusting their engine to accommodate behavior at that scale. It's an experiment of theirs, and they implemented what they learned in their subsequent games.

Not having played BF (or any of SSG's games before or after) I can't give any idea how well they succeeded in BF, I just know their subsequent games have a reputation as good or better than the games before BF.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Meanwile, at Gamersgate summer sale:

Space Hulk + RPG + Zombie pocalypse == Survivor Squad, $2.75 today only.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

At Steam Midweek, Valve lies through their teeth one way or another:

"Half-Life Complete" is at 75% off, along with all its components which include HL Ep 2, still described as part 2 of a trilogy of games.

smittyohio

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 08, 2013, 10:05:44 AM
Is there any detailed reviews available for Campaign Series?  This one escaped me but might be time to jump in.

You've probably already found these by now, but pretty much a compilation of these games (and maybe some expansions?), with some minor updates:

East Front 2:  http://www.gamerankings.com/pc/197203-east-front-ii-the-russian-front/index.html
West Front:   http://www.gamerankings.com/pc/71562-west-front/index.html
Rising Sun:   http://www.gamerankings.com/pc/198483-rising-sun/index.html

republic

Steel Armor: Blaze of War is on sale at Gamersgate right now for $6.80  http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SABW/steel-armor-blaze-of-war

Ubercat

Am I correct in assuming that JT's Campaign Series probably looks like crap on a modern 1920 * 1180 monitor? Matrix isn't known for doing much improvement of their older titles, so the price is still pretty steep despite all the content, right?
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell