Pay $2.49 or more and get also:

Steam Theatre of War 2: Kursk 1943  Steam

Steam Theatre of War 2 - Battle for Caen DLC Steam

Steam Theatre of War 2: Africa 1943  Steam

Steam Theatre of War 2: Centauro DLC  Steam

Pay $4.11 or more and get also:

Steam Theatre of War 3: Korea  Steam

PE

Any opinions on the Theatre of war games....what's the difference from CM games.... I remember there some issues when they first came out, don't remember exactly what they were. Wasn't one of the issue no infantry in buildings or something of that nature.
opinions please.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

W8taminute

Game Dev Tycoon on Steam.  Not a bad price and I'm probably going to pick this up.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/239820/
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

BanzaiCat

^I was thinking about getting this as well. There's several amusing videos on YouTube.

Also, Dungeon Siege I, II, and III can be had on Steam right now for 4.99 - that's all three of them for five bucks. I'm not a big fan, but if you are, have at it.

BanzaiCat

I went ahead and bought Game Dev Tycoon. Which I should not have done, as I am working from home today.  :-\

Greybriar

Amazon.com is having a huge sale on its digital PC games. One example is XCOM: Enemy Unknown with its two DLCs--Elite Soldier Pack & Slingshot--for $9.99 U.S.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

W8taminute

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 29, 2013, 10:24:19 AM
I went ahead and bought Game Dev Tycoon. Which I should not have done, as I am working from home today.  :-\

Nice.  I guess we all know how you will spend your 'working' afternoon then.   ;D

Let us know what you think if you get a chance to fire it up. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

JasonPratt

Dang, Amazon has over 1100 PAGES of digital games on sale...

And yet, their sale on WH40K Retribution is part of an overall Dawn of War package (via Steam). Which is an utterly amazing deal for only $30, but I already own everything else. I just want Retri (and not the Last Stand add-on or its DLC which I don't care about).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 29, 2013, 09:58:02 AM
Also, Dungeon Siege I, II, and III can be had on Steam right now for 4.99 - that's all three of them for five bucks. I'm not a big fan, but if you are, have at it.

I notice it's still on sale, and I have the games already, but please note that I can't tell from the descriptions if DS2 comes with its expansion pack which is pretty important for its story.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

BanzaiCat

Quote from: W8taminute on August 29, 2013, 12:08:59 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 29, 2013, 10:24:19 AM

Nice.  I guess we all know how you will spend your 'working' afternoon then.   ;D

Let us know what you think if you get a chance to fire it up.

Time will tell. It's pretty much a select-and-wait game, so I HAVE been working and letting it run (my work PC and game PC are separate so I can get away with that, ha).

- It's very repetitive. But then again, so is publishing games.
- It's frustrating trying to guess what will be a 'big' hit. You more or less will stumble on it eventually.
- The graphics are laughably simple.
- The sound is annoying.
- The developers inserted a "OH GOD THANK YOU FOR BUYING THIS" kind of message in the game, which is kind of cool to see from a new developer.
- The timeline seems to more or less advance according to how the real world did (you start out being able to publish for the larger C64 (called G64 in the game) or the smaller-market-share PC, then it moves to incorporate their world's version of the NES, SNES, GameBoy, Genesis, and others).

In my game, which starts you in your garage, I made a couple of mediocre titles until finally I created a hit that got me more than a million dollars, which moved me into a nicer office (guess that game was my company's 'Doom'). After that, I made several craptastic titles that sucked away the cash. I desperately continued to research and up my programming, still producing crapola. Only, I finally realized that you have to build a new game engine to incorporate all the new stuff you've been researching - $*@*$!!!

I had created a hit (a flightsim) that helped save the company, then when I figured out the engine debacle I created a sequel to it that sold just as well. Good thing, because when I released the sequel, my company was down in the red.

I think an AAR on this might be forthcoming. I think it could be rather fun to write it up.

Silent Disapproval Robot

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly
Paradox games on sale on the Humble Bundle deal this week.

W8taminute

@Banzai_Cat

Despite your description of the game being a bit repetitive and has laughable graphics you've convinced me to go ahead and buy this title.  The other elements you describe sound like my cup of tea.  I laughed at your 'Doom' reference.  I remember that game fondly.  That's not why I laughed however.  When you mentioned 'Doom' the first thought that popped in my head was the Dominion's 3 PBEM thread here at Grogheads entitled DOOM. 

BanzaiCat

I just didn't want anyone thinking this is some kind of eye-candy fest; it's certainly not.

I finally finished my game - I went bankrupt after 14 years, 3 months, and 2 weeks of creating wondrous titles such as Star Bollicks, Flightmaster 1 through VII, Cockzapper, and several others that don't even deserve mentioning.

I think the goal of the game is to last 35 years, but the history seems to repeat real life. Systems like the Dreamcast (can't recall what this game calls it) come and go, and there's no real reason to buy licenses and develop games for them, because you know it's not going anywhere.

I guess part of my problem was not going into the Playstation/Xbox realms. I did buy a GameBoy license and tried to create a martial arts game for it, but it was so terribly reviewed I didn't bother to make another game for it.

SgtRock

QuoteAny opinions on the Theatre of war games....what's the difference from CM games....

The Theatre of War games are more like Soldiers: Hero's of WWII than Combat mission games, the infantry model is weak and missions have almost a puzzle aspect too them. While I enjoyed the first Theatre of War game, the series just never evolved.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 29, 2013, 02:27:08 PM
I just didn't want anyone thinking this is some kind of eye-candy fest; it's certainly not.

I finally finished my game - I went bankrupt after 14 years, 3 months, and 2 weeks of creating wondrous titles such as Star Bollicks, Flightmaster 1 through VII, Cockzapper, and several others that don't even deserve mentioning.

I think the goal of the game is to last 35 years, but the history seems to repeat real life. Systems like the Dreamcast (can't recall what this game calls it) come and go, and there's no real reason to buy licenses and develop games for them, because you know it's not going anywhere.

I guess part of my problem was not going into the Playstation/Xbox realms. I did buy a GameBoy license and tried to create a martial arts game for it, but it was so terribly reviewed I didn't bother to make another game for it.

Is this live on Steam now? Nice! I shall install my Steam copy.  ;D

I picked this up several months back from the developer. It is a fun little game. I ended up making a game series at one point that reached 15 releases before people seemed to finally move on. And then my company collapsed like a house of cards.

JasonPratt

Quote from: SgtRock on August 29, 2013, 03:01:15 PM
QuoteAny opinions on the Theatre of war games....what's the difference from CM games....

The Theatre of War games are more like Soldiers: Hero's of WWII than Combat mission games, the infantry model is weak and missions have almost a puzzle aspect too them. While I enjoyed the first Theatre of War game, the series just never evolved.

Also, the first game was released with massive coding and design problems; and while the original author has labored heroically to patch the game long after Battlefront basically gave up supporting it, and deserves all honor for doing so, I also had to throw away a patch after my anti-virus tagged it. Possibly an anti-virus error, but who knows. :( (The patch, more importantly, didn't help me like the game any better.)