The Groginati Sales Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, I noticed Sang-Froid was put back on sale at Steam this afternoon (probably they're gearing up for a Labor Day weekend sale). I shall sing its praises again each time I notice it on sale. Thus, ahem:

I AM A LUMBERJACK AND I'M OKAYYYY! I CHOP ALL NIGHT AND I SHOP ALL---{mauled to death by a werewolf}

Sang-Froid. Buy it, or I shall sing at you again.

(This advertisement was not paid for by the friends of Sang-Froid.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Nefaro

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 29, 2013, 04:18:07 PM
Meanwhile, I noticed Sang-Froid was put back on sale at Steam this afternoon (probably they're gearing up for a Labor Day weekend sale). I shall sing its praises again each time I notice it on sale. Thus, ahem:

Steam is having a big Greenlight Indie sale right now.  Some of them are 66% off. 

Sang-Froid is one of them, so that's why you're seeing it on sale.

Steam Greenlight Sale
http://store.steampowered.com/sale/greenlightsale

Eador:MotB is 50% off.  Some of you also enjoy Euro Truck Simluator 2 (66% off).  Gnomoria, Inquisitor.  Some other stuff.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Nefaro on August 29, 2013, 04:21:52 PM
Some of you also enjoy Euro Truck Simluator 2 (66% off).

Yeah I bought this.  Just completed Felixstowe-Rotterdam, and Felixstowe-Dover.  Only got three speeding tickets and only collided with two other vehicles so far!

W8taminute

Picked up Game Dev Tycoon.  It's well worth the money even at full price.  Cute little game.  Perfect for when you don't have a lot of time to waste and just need to play something for 15 to 30 minutes. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Nefaro

Quote from: W8taminute on August 29, 2013, 06:34:33 PM
Picked up Game Dev Tycoon.  It's well worth the money even at full price.  Cute little game.  Perfect for when you don't have a lot of time to waste and just need to play something for 15 to 30 minutes.

Enjoying it too, for a light sim/management style game.  :)

jomni

RO2 has smoother movement too. Much more playable.  But some people think it's arcade already.

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on August 30, 2013, 12:40:38 AM
RO2 has smoother movement too. Much more playable.  But some people think it's arcade already.

??

???

JasonPratt

Quote from: Nefaro on August 30, 2013, 07:05:57 AM
Quote from: jomni on August 30, 2013, 12:40:38 AM

??

???

I'm going to treat that as a reply to my Sang-Froid promotional attempts, since that makes as much sense as anything else, and move along. :)

(Jomni must be replying to a discussion about Red Orchestra 2 back upthread somewhere.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Quote from: Nefaro on August 29, 2013, 04:21:52 PM
Steam is having a big Greenlight Indie sale right now.  Some of them are 66% off. 

Sang-Froid is one of them, so that's why you're seeing it on sale.

Steam Greenlight Sale
http://store.steampowered.com/sale/greenlightsale

Eador:MotB is 50% off.  Some of you also enjoy Euro Truck Simluator 2 (66% off).  Gnomoria, Inquisitor.  Some other stuff.

True; I've already got everything on the list I care about (even Miner Wars 2081 which I haven't played yet but which looks like a brilliant nod to the old Descent series.)

Dolan50

"Any opinions on the Theatre of war games....what's the difference from CM games"

For the price that probably sounds like a very good deal.
Especially considering what those ToW games use to sell for.

Theatre of War is an "OK" introduction into this type of tactical wargame-Meaning of course,that you never heard of or played a CM or APOS/GTOS game or if you just want an APOS or CM lite type of tactical gaming fare!
But I wouldn't purchase it expecting anything from the Theatre of War series that would rival either a CM or an Achtung Panzer Operation Star game.

I wanted to like this series(ToW) because I was interested in the battles they were trying to depict and it looked like it could have had some decent potential at one time if someone who knew what He was doing was at the steering wheel,but it never met any of my pre-conceived expectations as far as improvements in the gameplay mechanics or in what I considered important gameplay issues that always seemed to be moderately addressed or improperly recognized and swept under the rug.I never expressed these issues in the ToW forums(others did),but those very same issues were constantly in the back of my mind and grated my ass also.

While I liked what the developers where aiming at with their theatre and battle choices.They just never seemed capable of hitting or coming close to the target as far as fixing and improving the mechanics for the game.
Which I found very disappointing!

There were a few modders who did some decent stuff for the game,but not enough to save the series from itself.
All the "SOS" fan replies were simply ignored and most if not all the fans and semi fans including myself,eventually abandoned the series and jumped ship.

It doesn't surprise me in the least that the whole series bundle is now practically being given away on Steam!

A few guys are or were still trying to reserect the game on the BF forums awhile ago,but I thought it to be a complete and total waste of effort.
The patient already died and no amount of CPR or life support was ever going to revive him.It's been long past the time for making final funeral arrangements and now it's time to let go and bury the corpse.

Personally,after playing APOS/GTOS and CM(Pre-CMFI),I wouldn't download the whole ToW series today,even if it were being offered as free.

With that said,the ToW series wasn't really bad it just wasn't really all that good either.
For its time it was acceptable,but not special or ground breaking.I never loved the game,but it was semi entertaining in its own not so special way.

I could probably write paragraph upon paragraph about all the things I didn't like about the ToW series,especially if I were to compare it in the light of todays CMBN or the APOS/GTOS games,but its hardly worth the effort  considering the series is no longer a work in progress and has since passed on after its long bout with terminal incompetence cancer.

I suppose for less than $5.00 for the whole ToW series shebang you could probably get about a weeks worth of limited fun out of it before you finally gave up and said "WTF did I just try and play" and then go back to either CM or APOS/GTOS.

Next,you'll probably want to shelve or uninstall the ToW series forever(Like I have) and sit back scratch your head and wonder to yourself what might of or could have been with this series if someone of vision and competence had been producing the ToW series before it inevitably took its own life.

At one time I even thought it may have had the potential to rival APOS and even surpass CM in some respects-WTF was I thinking!
In reality and retrospect though,I doubt it could ever do either and was most likely doomed from its day one inception.
What surprises me most,is that it survived as long as it did before everyone realized how sick it was before it finally kicked the bucket.

ToW-Korea when it was announced entirely killed any further hopes or interests I had for this series and it looks like it also sealed the coffin with the final nail too,by not addressing(yet again)the poor mechanics issues of the game while just offering new content as a smoke and mirror substitute in an obviuos attempt to cover up it's basic inherent flaws.

ToW still reminds me in some respects of what the CM series was/is like but at least CM was able to gradually evolve and eventually morph away from a ToW type game.
And while Battlefront was able to move forward somewhat in improving both its graphics and gameplay mechanics in its effort to cater to and placate its core customer base for the CM series,ToW only stagnated,whithered and ultimately died by alienating their same customer base.

It's rather sad actually,because I would have liked to have seen this series evolve also for some strange unknown odd reason,but I'm not surprised either that I would one day be writing its eulogy and that fate would have its way and ToW would not be celebrated for any merits it sought during its long drawn out illness and uneventful demise but it would be unceremoniously relegated to and dumped upon the ash heap of PC wargaming history.

No fanfare,no mourning,no 21 gun salute followed by taps-just"POOF"now you see me,now you don't.This eventual unknown soldier(wargame) gets buried in an unmarked ethernet grave.

I still think the 3D maps in ToW look more graphically appealing than they currently do or ever did in CM though,but that's about the extent of my praise for anything ToW.
And one day,hopefully! GTOS will pick up the ball and run with it concerning a WW2 North African campaign the way it should have been done by the forever unloved and not so dearly departed ToW series.
A Corporate Executive,a Democrat and a Republican walk into a room.The CEO walks in first and notices 10 cookies on a plate and pockets 9 of them,then turns to the Republican and whispers in his ear  and says "The Democrat is trying to steal your cookie".

jomni

Please ignore my comment must be a discussion a few pages back which I thought is current.

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on August 30, 2013, 09:42:59 AM
Please ignore my comment must be a discussion a few pages back which I thought is current.

LOL.  I just didn't know if you had accidentally posted it in the wrong thread, since there was no quote.  Ain't nuthin'.  ;)

Gusington

Aliens: Colonial Marines on sale for 4.99 at Steam.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

-budd-

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 29, 2013, 04:18:07 PM

I AM A LUMBERJACK AND I'M OKAYYYY! I CHOP ALL NIGHT AND I SHOP ALL---{mauled to death by a werewolf}

Sang-Froid. Buy it, or I shall sing at you again.

(This advertisement was not paid for by the friends of Sang-Froid.)

I bought into your hype ;) .....got the game........played thru day 3, it's a nice take on tower defense..like it so far. I don't know about you but i can't get the damn rifle to reload faster no matter how fast i click the damn rt mouse button....reload...reload...faster.. the damn wolves are coming....shit. there are alot of nice touches to the game, looking forward to continuing on.

Had to uninstall one of windows security updates to get the video's to play full screen, works fine now.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

JasonPratt

Budd, which brother are you playing? The axe guy is more melee oriented and doesn't load as fast as his brother who on the other hand is better at shooting and setting traps.

I played the shooty brother (which is supposedly harder), and even he's quite slow loading at the start -- but buying better guns and spending skill points on the proper skill (if I recall correctly) will help with that. So the loading will get easier as the game goes on (depending on how you spend your cash/skill), but you're ALWAYS going to be planning your shots out in advance. Or going for your axe after you've (literally) shot your wad. (Which is what the axy brother probably ought to be doing anyway. ;) )

Still, I love the tension involved in trying to load the rifle.  8) It's something most games naturally don't have. (For those who haven't played, it isn't hard to load the rifle, it just takes time and there are built-in limits to how fast your clicking the mouse button will help.)