The Groginati Sales Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 02, 2013, 11:34:24 AM
Oh, and AI War with its current expansions are on sale again. (Didn't we just have one of those sales a couple of weeks ago...? I'm guessing this is preparation for the next expansion coming this fall -- or am I imagining I heard that?)

Arcen has a new Strategy game coming out next week, named Bionic Dues.   So that's probably why some of their stuff is on sale right now.

There's a recent post here about it.

Nefaro

Eador: Masters of the Broken World is on sale, again, at Gamersgate for another 8 hours. 

$10

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-EMBW/eador-masters-of-the-broken-world

JasonPratt

I tried starting that Eador reboot a few weeks ago (not having played Genesis, fwiw), and... I can't quite tell why, but I'm unable to get into it. The pacing doesn't seem right maybe. I can't put a finger on it.

I dearly love UoC as a sort of semi-randomized "puzzle" Panzer General game. If I can get that Splashtop 2 application to work with my brother's big Android pad and his Win8 machine, I'm sure he'll love it, too (although last I checked he was more in the mood of a grand strategy WW2 game first.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

PanzersEast

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 03, 2013, 09:26:55 AM
I tried starting that Eador reboot a few weeks ago (not having played Genesis, fwiw), and... I can't quite tell why, but I'm unable to get into it. The pacing doesn't seem right maybe. I can't put a finger on it.

It's not you, it's the game..... others may disagree, but the game is very repetitive and without any real strategic options.... outside of the battle screen which I feel does an excellent job of tactical combat.  I get quit bored with the game the more I played and quit all together...  and that is regrettable because I really wanted to like the game and there are aspects I do enjoy, unfortunately there are not enough of them.

PE

republic

Humble Bundle is pretty good this week:  https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly.

Name your price for the Neighbours From Hell Compilation DRM-free on Windows. Pay $1 or more and get Steam keys for Red Faction: Armageddon, Supreme Commander, Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance and The Guild 2. If you pay $6 or more, you'll also receive, ArcaniA, Darksiders II, Painkiller: Hell & Damnation and SpellForce 2: Faith in Destiny!

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Nefaro

Quote from: PanzersEast on October 03, 2013, 01:39:13 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on October 03, 2013, 09:26:55 AM

It's not you, it's the game..... others may disagree, but the game is very repetitive and without any real strategic options.... outside of the battle screen which I feel does an excellent job of tactical combat.  I get quit bored with the game the more I played and quit all together...  and that is regrettable because I really wanted to like the game and there are aspects I do enjoy, unfortunately there are not enough of them.

PE

Same.

Just doesn't seem to be enough variety in it to suit the extensive amount of time it can take to play the campaigns.  It may just be the impression I get but the unit variety (for example) seems to be rather small for the scope and amount of time a campaign takes, making it feel fairly repetitive when you're constantly playing out battles against the same handful of enemy army types/units.

It has something, but just not enough of other somethings.  I do think it's worth ten bucks, however.

Huw the Poo

Arctic Blast

2K sale on Steam. Today, XCom is 75% off.

PanzersEast

JasonPratt

Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 03, 2013, 04:36:02 PM
Wargame AirLand Battle is 50% off at Gamersgate.

One heck of a good deal there!

Meanwhile, this weekend GoG is putting their Interplay catalog on sale 50%. Some absolute classics in that list.

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

W8taminute

^I'm so tempted to pick up Conquest of the New World.  I still have the original disk but it only works on Win XP or earlier.  Although I never really did figure out that game I'm sure if I use my google-fu I can find some strategy guides out there. 

Since I'm still a GOG newb I have a question for you all.  If a game they offer is compatible with both Windows and MAC OS can I install it on two machines, one Windows based and the other my MacBook Pro?  Steam has a policy where if the game is available on both platforms you buy once and can install on both systems.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

JasonPratt

W8, yes you buy the right to download either platform version, or both (as far as I can tell -- I haven't tested that yet). Once the game is in your on-site library shelf, clicking on the box brings up a screen for downloading the installer, which unlike Gamersgate really is the full game (often packaged with DosBox tweaked to run it).

I would have thought a Win8 game would run a WinXP, once the right little tab was clicked; but if reviews there or elsewhere say Win8 has trouble, then you may have to leave it alone (as a WinXP install on a disk partition may not recognize Win8 modern hardware).

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, Gamersgate adds another huge wad of games to its sale over the weekend, including among other things a lot of Paradox/Clauswitz games (like Hearts of Iron 3 and its accoutrements), and Blood Bowl: Chaos Edition.

Nefaro

Quote from: W8taminute on October 04, 2013, 02:57:08 PM
^I'm so tempted to pick up Conquest of the New World.  I still have the original disk but it only works on Win XP or earlier.  Although I never really did figure out that game I'm sure if I use my google-fu I can find some strategy guides out there. 

Since I'm still a GOG newb I have a question for you all.  If a game they offer is compatible with both Windows and MAC OS can I install it on two machines, one Windows based and the other my MacBook Pro?  Steam has a policy where if the game is available on both platforms you buy once and can install on both systems.

I've had Conquest of the New World on my GOG wishlist for a long time.  At $2.99 there's little reason for me to keep putting it off.

My only concern is that the old school pixelated graphics will make my eyes bleed after a short time.  I'm surprised I can still see without need of eyewear after all the years of staring into monitors.  :o  Don't wanna jinx it!