Grand Tactician, American Civil War

Started by Phantom, May 04, 2018, 01:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 21, 2020, 05:30:18 AM
Quote from: WargamerJoe on July 21, 2020, 04:20:31 AM
Grand Tactician now has a release date of August of August 21st, but it's heading to Steam Early Access first.

Steam page hasn't been updated yet.

thanks but a clarification please.  will early access start on august 21 or will early access be sometime prior to august 21st with full release on august 21st?

never mind, just saw the tweet....it will start early access on august 21.

HoodedHorseJoe

I've updated my post anyway as you're right, it is worded a bit weirdly! Apologies.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

devoncop

Great news.

This could be a total triumph if it achieves its aims.

My concern is that we have only seen scripted tactical batttles so far.......the crux will be if they can get the strategic side balanced and well integrated.

Fingers crossed.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

ArizonaTank

The Total War guys should have done ACW a long time ago. Glad to see an indie stepping into the gap. Hopefully the game will do transition from tactical to strategic well.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

devoncop

Quote from: ArizonaTank on July 22, 2020, 09:22:00 AM
The Total War guys should have done ACW a long time ago. Glad to see an indie stepping into the gap. Hopefully the game will do transition from tactical to strategic well.

This title is promising depth that Creative Assembly have never even attempted. The Total War franchaise has in my opinion largely abandoned the serious wargaming crowd for a more mainstream audience whereas this looks to have done the opposite. I share your hopes !

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

If this game is a success I would give anything for them to use their game model and engine on a European of a similar era, like the Franco-Prussian War or the Crimean War.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

HoodedHorseJoe

If my memory serves, back when they first announced themselves it seemed liked it was a toss-up whether they'd go down the ACW route or the Napoleonic route. They may have even run a poll on it to try and decide, not sure.

Clearly you yanks wanted to spoil it for everyone and voted for the minor, uninteresting conflict that is the ACW.

On a serious note, if they had the will to do Napoleonics all those years ago, hopefully they may return to it (or something similar) once The Civil War is out the door.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

devoncop

Quote from: WargamerJoe on July 22, 2020, 11:28:33 AM
If my memory serves, back when they first announced themselves it seemed liked it was a toss-up whether they'd go down the ACW route or the Napoleonic route. They may have even run a poll on it to try and decide, not sure.

Clearly you yanks wanted to spoil it for everyone and voted for the minor, uninteresting conflict that is the ACW.

On a serious note, if they had the will to do Napoleonics all those years ago, hopefully they may return to it (or something similar) once The Civil War is out the door.

Given that at least one of the developer's of this offering has already released his interesting but ultimately flawed Seven Years War game I imagine the chances of a European follow up are pretty high. The issue of course is that with the ACW diplomacy and all of its minefields of credibility v flexibility for the player can be pretty much ignored whilst Europeans being expert backstabbers and master's of subterfuge would require a big investment in a diplomatic mechanism that made sense :).

Having said all of that a game based on this engine for either a Napoleonic or Seven Years War in Europe era would be phenomenal.....

I could see an American War of Independence conflict fitting in pretty well too.....could that satisfy both Europeans and the colonials ? 😉

Manassassas

Quote from: Gusington on July 22, 2020, 10:58:38 AM
If this game is a success I would give anything for them to use their game model and engine on a European of a similar era, like the Franco-Prussian War or the Crimean War.

One of the developers was the brains behind Seven Years War - which showed a lot of promise but was ultimately quite slow and buggy.

Gusington

An American Revolution game would be choice!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on July 22, 2020, 02:34:14 PM
An American Revolution game would be choice!

Or World War 2!  There are so few!   >:D

But, on a serious note, I'd like to see Napoleonic Wars done this way as well.

But yeah, there's a much bigger gap for the Revolutionary War in games.  Kind of a surprising one.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

HoodedHorseJoe

If they can nail asymmetrical design - Zulu War.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd