Grand Tactician, American Civil War

Started by Phantom, May 04, 2018, 01:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anguille

The right soundtrack is very important to me. It would like a movie without soundrack.

Some of my favorite games have also fantastic music: Knights of Honor, Civilization VI, Glory of the Roman Empire and Civil War 2: Generals. For the latter, american folk music of the time really helps me dive into the historical period. But yeah, if the soundrack isn't good, like in MOO3, it's better to lower the volume. The first game i had, MOO, didn't have a working sound on my computer so i always played Queen: made in heaven.

Geezer

The first thing I do with every new game is turn off the music.   ;D
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

devoncop

Quote from: Geezer on August 18, 2020, 07:15:42 AM

Whereas the John Tiller ACW music is wonderfully atmospheric for me at least so I guess we are indeed all very different  :)
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Gusington

The music of Shogun 2 and Medieval 2 (TW) are absolutely epic.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

twitter3

I really like (and turn up) the music in BOA:WIA.

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Con

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

hellfish6

Yup

JasonPratt

I noticed today that the game has the soundtrack for sale separately! (For those people who can't find out how to find and use the music in the folders, perhaps. ;) )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

nelmsm

Quote from: devoncop on August 18, 2020, 08:56:49 AM

Whereas the John Tiller ACW music is wonderfully atmospheric for me at least so I guess we are indeed all very different  :)

+1

hellfish6

Early access starts today. Soon, I hope...

SirAndrewD

Quote from: hellfish6 on August 21, 2020, 09:43:20 AM
Early access starts today. Soon, I hope...

Noon EST according to the chat on Steam.  Going to download while I'm working and dig in after my end of day.  Hopefully some first impressions tonight.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

ArizonaTank

Just happened to have the day off and the wife is out of the house   <:-)

Game downloaded and spent about an hour with it.

First impressions are very, very good.  The interface is polished and pretty clean.

But the game is deep, and there is a bunch going on. It will take me a while to learn it. Still, it looks like everything I ever wanted out of a strategic ACW game. Reminds me somewhat of a mix between Matrix's Forge of Freedom and Ageod's Civil War II, and that is a good thing.

Still, very early in my toe dipping, so no idea how the AI holds up, or if ultimately it manages to hold my attention.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

SirAndrewD

My noon appointment cancelled so getting a quick spin. 

First impression overall...man I have so had reenactor videos in these games ruined for me after spending over a decade in the hobby going from buck private to officer.  Now all I do is nitpick their gear.  I couldn't help but yell "FARBS!" more than once.

Liking the initial impressions on presentation and UI.  Mechanics seem straightforward. 

There are a few formatting resolution issues  with ultrawide monitors, so beware on that front.  Some stuff is cut off and the toggle to disable the field manual is hidden behind the manual.  Also seems to be no way to zoom the OOB screen on an ultrawide and therefore it's nearly impossible to read.  I'm sure these will be sorted fast. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback