Grand Tactician, American Civil War

Started by Phantom, May 04, 2018, 01:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayfer

Quote from: ArizonaTank on August 21, 2020, 12:19:15 PM
Just happened to have the day off and the wife is out of the house   <:-)

Game downloaded and spent about an hour with it.

First impressions are very, very good.  The interface is polished and pretty clean.

But the game is deep, and there is a bunch going on. It will take me a while to learn it. Still, it looks like everything I ever wanted out of a strategic ACW game. Reminds me somewhat of a mix between Matrix's Forge of Freedom and Ageod's Civil War II, and that is a good thing.

Still, very early in my toe dipping, so no idea how the AI holds up, or if ultimately it manages to hold my attention.

Got it too but haven't put much time into it yet.  The Early Access info detailed in the game makes it very clear there is a lot more to come.  It openly states the Campaign AI and balance need work, there are limited saves and limited battle maps, all of which are historical.

devoncop

This is a definite buy for me but I am going to wait either until full release or further through the Early Access process.

I don't want the inevitable bugs and balancing issues to disillusion me so I fail to return to the game when it is more complete.

This is my mature and considered approach.

This is my grand plan

The chances of it surviving first contact with the enemy (in this case a host of gushing reviews from early adopters like Sir Andrew,Arizona Tank and Rayfer above)  are probably not good.

Gentlemen. Consider your responsibilities... ;)
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

jamus34

Well I will admit sometimes it's fun to watch a game grow and change (Factorio, Oxygen not included), at least when the developer continues to work, support and communicate with the fans and customer base.

Then you get the games that arrive on EA have a strong 2-3 weeks of sales along with developer communication and then becomes vaporware. I've bought a couple of those games too.

Insert witty comment here.

SirAndrewD

Got to finally get to work and get on my 2:30 call, but I will say, I've seen finished Civil War Grand strategy games in worse shape than this EA title. 

It's very polished for what it is.  Clearly a ways to go in some areas, but I'm so far impressed, even if the videos have Farbs. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Toonces

I feel like I'm going to have to buy this game and some beer, and settle in for a long, long night....   :coolsmiley:
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

hellfish6

So I've definitely had some bugs, the UI went missing on me, a CTD, and I don't know how some of the mechanics work (I upgraded the rifles of most of the Union Army... not sure if/how/when it is actually implemented and the units get new weapons). I'm trying to standardize my army on one rifle, one carbine and a couple of artillery pieces for the bonus.

But overall it's fun. Definitely don't buy into this if you're on the fence - give it at least a few weeks for the most egregious bugs to be fixed. It's largely holding to its promise of being the be-all and end-all of ACW games.

Queeg

Downloaded and poked around for a bit.  Good first impressions.  The game looks great.  And it appears to be the first game I've seen at this scale to have an actual, relevant Shenandoah Valley.

I can confirm the ultrawide issues.  Menus cut off at 3440x1440.  Looks fine at 2560x1440, albeit with black bands on the edges.  Hopefully that will be fixed. 

I'm encouraged.     

MOS:96B2P

Grand Tactician ACW sounds very interesting.  I was a big fan of Sid Meier's Gettysburg and I bought Ultimate General Civil War while waiting for this.  I would like to wait until the game is a little more finished but each positive review makes it more difficult to wait .......  Looking forward to more impressions of the game.       

MetalDog

Quote from: MOS:96B2P on August 21, 2020, 05:31:25 PM
Grand Tactician ACW sounds very interesting.  I was a big fan of Sid Meier's Gettysburg and I bought Ultimate General Civil War while waiting for this.   would like to wait until the game is a little more finished but each positive review makes it more difficult to wait .......  Looking forward to more impressions of the game.       

^This

A question.  Is/will there be mp?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

W8taminute

Quote from: ArizonaTank on August 21, 2020, 12:19:15 PM
Just happened to have the day off and the wife is out of the house   <:-)

That is the greatest gift a wife could give to her man.  Ladies take note.  LOL

Quote from: devoncop on August 21, 2020, 01:14:00 PM

The chances of it surviving first contact with the enemy (in this case a host of gushing reviews from early adopters like Sir Andrew,Arizona Tank and Rayfer above)  are probably not good.

Gentlemen. Consider your responsibilities... ;)

Was it Napoleon who said all plans go out the window on first contact or something like that?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

steve58

Eisenhower I think. Nope was von Moltke.  maybe both  :-\
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

CJReich46

""No plan survives first contact with the enemy, what matters is how quickly the leader is able to adapt"- Helmuth Von Moltke.

Sorry googled it  ;)

But the game does sound interesting. I don't think I have many if at all Civil War Games. I think the only one I have is Civil War Gens 2.   :hide:
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

al_infierno

"No plan survives first contact with the enemy, what matters is how quickly the leader is able to adapt - Helmuth Von Moltke"  - Dwight Eisenhower   ;)
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

AchillesLastStand

Quote from: MetalDog on August 21, 2020, 05:33:52 PM
Quote from: MOS:96B2P on August 21, 2020, 05:31:25 PM
Grand Tactician ACW sounds very interesting.  I was a big fan of Sid Meier's Gettysburg and I bought Ultimate General Civil War while waiting for this.   would like to wait until the game is a little more finished but each positive review makes it more difficult to wait .......  Looking forward to more impressions of the game.       

^This

A question.  Is/will there be mp?

Found this quote from a developer about a month ago.

"The game will not have multiplayer on release. But we are planning on getting into multiplayer later"