Main Menu

Epic?

Started by Jarhead0331, January 30, 2019, 10:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tpek

Steam isn't going away any time soon.
They've had a monopoly on PC gaming for over a decade now, it'll take years to break them down.

@Huw, actually Fortnite is not doing as well as it used to. Kids have longed started migrating to other games and Fornite's Battle Royale mode, which never really gets any more interesting, will only generate so much money for so long.
It seems like they've already begun to offer less and smaller bribes to developers.

Huw the Poo

Good!  Let's hope the decline continues!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 07, 2020, 01:38:35 AM

Why would you hope for this? Their existence will only threaten the competition if the competition fails to adapt or offer a superior user experience. Jeez...are you in favor of a single company controlling the entire market share of anything? That's called a monopoly and they are pretty much universally bad.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

undercovergeek

Steam pretty much has a monopoly already and no one is really complaining about the service they provide

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on January 07, 2020, 08:03:51 AM
Steam pretty much has a monopoly already and no one is really complaining about the service they provide

They mostly aren't complaining about the service, but they are complaining about what will happen if the service ever folds or decides to cease operating.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

undercovergeek

agreed - do we 'buy' on the understanding that it could go pop and that was our risk or do they release a statement saying servers will be established to run the games or download the source code

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on January 07, 2020, 09:48:02 AM
agreed - do we 'buy' on the understanding that it could go pop and that was our risk or do they release a statement saying servers will be established to run the games or download the source code

Or, do we encourage competition so all of our eggs aren't in a single basket?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

undercovergeek

But see the gnashing and wailing when another service comes up and everyone has to 'have another password and have another account'

Yskonyn

Indeed, it was not long ago that even Jarhead himself was very sceptical about Epic, was it not? 😊
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on January 07, 2020, 10:45:54 AM
Indeed, it was not long ago that even Jarhead himself was very sceptical about Epic, was it not? 😊

I'm still not a fan of it. I just don't necessarily want them to go out of business. I don't see how anyone benefits from that, other than Steam, financially.

Furthermore, my reservations were (and still are) the product of: (1) rumors about security flaws; (2) aggressive exclusivity deals; and (3) basic UI with bare bones features. However, these are grounds to just continue using another service, like Steam, not a reason to pray for Epic's demise.

I use uplay, origin, GOG, Battle.net, Rockstar Social Club, among others, so i have nothing inherently against using multiple platforms.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 07, 2020, 06:13:55 AM
Why would you hope for this? Their existence will only threaten the competition if the competition fails to adapt or offer a superior user experience. Jeez...are you in favor of a single company controlling the entire market share of anything? That's called a monopoly and they are pretty much universally bad.

Seriously?  We don't need to have this conversation Jarhead, you know damn well why I hate Epic.  You even share some of my concerns.  I have nothing against the half-dozen other stores I can name just off the top of my head (and there are more) - only Epic because of their disgusting practices.  I don't hope GOG fails, for example, even though I have personal reasons not to buy from them.

I'm also getting pretty tired of hearing Steam described as a monopoly - see above.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 07, 2020, 11:58:52 AM

Seriously?  We don't need to have this conversation Jarhead, you know damn well why I hate Epic.  You even share some of my concerns.

Sorry. I really don't know. I apologize for not making a mental note of every complaint you may have posted on the issue.

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 07, 2020, 11:58:52 AM
I'm also getting pretty tired of hearing Steam described as a monopoly - see above.

Why? It is as close to a monopoly on digital gaming sales and distribution as I can think of.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

glen55

The economy would pretty much croak instantly if we didn't have regulated monopolies delivering utilities. Can you imagine what the market price of water would be in a city?

Not to derail the conversation or anything, but I can't let "monopolies are universally bad" just sit there.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Jarhead0331

Quote from: glen55 on January 07, 2020, 05:51:10 PM

The economy would pretty much croak instantly if we didn't have regulated monopolies delivering utilities. Can you imagine what the market price of water would be in a city?

Not to derail the conversation or anything, but I can't let "monopolies are universally bad" just sit there.

I'm obviously speaking about consumer goods, not items like public utilities.  :uglystupid2:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

undercovergeek

That's called a monopoly and they are pretty much universally bad.

So when you said this you were just referring to monopolies in the games industry then?

Are there some others you could remind us of