New Operational Level WWII Game That Allows Tactical Battle Resolution

Started by choppinlt, July 16, 2013, 09:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

choppinlt

Hello, my name is Matt and I have designed a concept for an operational level WWII war game that can use tactical games (computer, board, or miniature) to resolve tactical battles that develop in my game called Combat Operations: Overlord (COO). As the game name would imply, I will start off with June-August in Normandy '44. If you are a computer programmer or mobile app developer and you are interested in participating in this project, please send me a list of verifiable qualifications to cmbnrocks@gmail.com. Otherwise if you are interested in this project please join the forum I have set up to discover more about my project: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!fo...ord-game-group

Key Game Points and Features

COO players will receive data from my game that can be used to manually set up a battle they wish to fight out. Otherwise battles can be fought quickly using an in-game battle resolution system
If battles are fought using a tactical game, results will be entered manually back in to my game, and play will continue
Players would command anywhere from Regimental size to multiple Corps or troops
Unit size is primarily Battalion, with some Company sized units.
Players would issue orders to their forces during a game pause using a "wego" style of play
Multiplayer
A fully functional Scenario Editor would be included
More detail included at my forum site

In conclusion, we need all sorts of support to make this project a reality. This is a unique opportunity to have a voice early in the game development process and guide the direction. Again, please join my forum listed above for further information or just follow the game development.

Thanks,
Matt

choppinlt

(merged duplicate thread from Mobile gaming subforum with permission of OP)

gameleaper

Campaigns on the Danube had some ideas you may be interested in, you could playout a battle with miniatures and then feed it into the game engine

bayonetbrant

Just asking about some clarification...

So if I'm a COO user, I've got a game on my table with division-level counters that I'm manuevering through Normandy towards Paris.
I hit a German division in hex 2345 on my map.
The two of us pull up those two divisions in COO and fight the divisional-level fight in your WEGO-style interface with only those div-level units that are colliding in hex 2345 over on the tabletop.
Someone wins the fight in COO, and the results are updated on the map.  So if the US wins, the German division is removed from hex 2345 on the map (either retreats or is killed, however the rules work out), and the game continues.

Is that the use case you're describing?

If it's not, could you take a sec and walk us through how it would integrate into the 'larger' game?

I think it's a fascinating concept but want to make sure I understand how you're piecing it all together.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

also - you've got 2 threads running in 2 places on this.  Let's unify them somewhere - you tell us where you prefer them - and have one point to the other, rather than (potentially) parallel conversations in 2 places.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

choppinlt

choppinlt

Fair enough, we can unify them in the computer section. However I am trying to let all people know that might have interest from the game.

To answer your question no, it is the other way around. COO would be the larger scale (moving battalions), and it would allow players to resolve battles that develop on a tactical level. For instance, you have an infantry battalion reinforced with armor and arty attacking an enemy position. COO would provide data to players IF they choose to fight the battle using a different tactical system. So they could use minatures (eg. Flames of War), a board game (Advanced Squad Leader) or a computer game (Combat Mission Battle for Normandy). If players prefer, the battle resolution system in COO can resolve the battle(s). In other words player pick and choose which (if any) battles they wish to play out. Does this make sense?
-Matt

bayonetbrant

Quote from: choppinlt on July 18, 2013, 12:04:49 AM
Fair enough, we can unify them in the computer section. However I am trying to let all people know that might have interest from the game.

I think you'll find that our folks read pretty much the entire forum, and not limit themselves to 1-2 primary sub-forums the way folks in some other forums do.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: choppinlt on July 18, 2013, 12:04:49 AM

done :)

Quote from: choppinlt on July 18, 2013, 12:04:49 AMTo answer your question no, it is the other way around. COO would be the larger scale (moving battalions), and it would allow players to resolve battles that develop on a tactical level. For instance, you have an infantry battalion reinforced with armor and arty attacking an enemy position. COO would provide data to players IF they choose to fight the battle using a different tactical system. So they could use minatures (eg. Flames of War), a board game (Advanced Squad Leader) or a computer game (Combat Mission Battle for Normandy). If players prefer, the battle resolution system in COO can resolve the battle(s). In other words player pick and choose which (if any) battles they wish to play out. Does this make sense?
-Matt

Yep. I just had it backwards.  In my defense, I'm a bit brain-addled right now and have been running on about 4-hours sleep/night for the past week and change.

choppinlt

I totally understand, I've got 3 kids... ;)

So I am trying to reach out to the gaming community to see how much interest there may be in such a concept. With enough interest and support, we can make it a reality. I am currently at Historicon doing some gaming and promoting my project to various people and companies. My primary support is coming from the Combat Mission computer game community, but I would love to hear from others.

-Matt

Boggit

Quote from: choppinlt on July 20, 2013, 11:21:54 AM
I totally understand, I've got 3 kids... ;)

So I am trying to reach out to the gaming community to see how much interest there may be in such a concept. With enough interest and support, we can make it a reality. I am currently at Historicon doing some gaming and promoting my project to various people and companies. My primary support is coming from the Combat Mission computer game community, but I would love to hear from others.

-Matt
I remember a while back that there was a project on the Combat Mission forums that would have built around Combat Mission Barbarossa to Berlin to create an operational enivronment for the Combat Mission game. I think to a lesser extent this has been done with Graviteam's Achtung Panzer Operation Star series. Is this the sort of thing you're hoping to create for the Normandy/France battlefield in 1944?
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

choppinlt

Boggit, yes my project is similar to CMC and Achtung Panzer. However, I am trying to allow battles to be played out in multiple ways, to include other computer games, board games, or miniatures....whatever the players decide. And players can of course resolve it quickly with the in-game battle resolution system.
-Matt

Boggit

Quote from: choppinlt on July 24, 2013, 09:17:27 PM
Boggit, yes my project is similar to CMC and Achtung Panzer. However, I am trying to allow battles to be played out in multiple ways, to include other computer games, board games, or miniatures....whatever the players decide. And players can of course resolve it quickly with the in-game battle resolution system.
-Matt
Sounds good. I'd love to see it for Combat Mission.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

choppinlt

I would too!!!!

I am a long time gamer and have done board games, miniatures and of course computer games. Originally when I came up with this concept it was primarily to work with CM. But the more I got in to it, the more I saw no reason to limit the audience. Why not open the audience up? You can go to battlefront's forum and see that I am doing this with some support from BFC. If this project gets off the ground, then BFC will allow our games to be compatible IF they think it will be a profitable venture. In the mean time I am drumming up as much support as I can.

-Matt