WDS/Tiller Summer Sale

Started by Rayfer, June 10, 2022, 01:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayfer

For those of us who enjoy the WDS/Tiller games, their summer sales is from June 17th through July 4th.  25% off all titles, exclusing any new releases within the past 12 months.

smittyohio

Quote from: Rayfer on June 10, 2022, 01:13:07 PM
For those of us who enjoy the WDS/Tiller games, their summer sales is from June 17th through July 4th.  25% off all titles, exclusing any new releases within the past 12 months.

I need to finally pick up one of the Civil War or Napoleonic games...  I wonder if there's any consensus on the best title for versus AI play.

devoncop

Quote from: smittyohio on June 10, 2022, 01:18:09 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on June 10, 2022, 01:13:07 PM

I need to finally pick up one of the Civil War or Napoleonic games...  I wonder if there's any consensus on the best title for versus AI play.

Unfortunately the Tiller/ WDS games are notorious for their poor AI, especially in the bigger scenarios.

There is however a very active MP scene on "The Blitz" forum and also the " Wargaming Society" run a Tiller Ladder and tournaments for all the Tiller/WDS games.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Tripoli

I agree-If you are wanting to play solo, the Tiller games are pretty much a waste of time, as the AI is not very challenging, even for new players.  However, if you want to play MP, they are pretty good.  They are simple, quick and reasonably accurate.  They also have a very wide variety of battles to choose from.  Further, I use them to teach myself some of the history of a battle.  For instance, I will frequently read an article or two about a battle I know little of.  Then, I'll  playing a scenario on the battle in the WDS series.  This gives me a pretty good idea of how the battle was and could have been fought, and gives me a good jumping off point for more in depth research.   
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

devoncop

Quote from: Tripoli on June 10, 2022, 02:04:29 PM
I agree-If you are wanting to play solo, the Tiller games are pretty much a waste of time, as the AI is not very challenging, even for new players.  However, if you want to play MP, they are pretty good.  They are simple, quick and reasonably accurate.  They also have a very wide variety of battles to choose from.  Further, I use them to teach myself some of the history of a battle.  For instance, I will frequently read an article or two about a battle I know little of.  Then, I'll  playing a scenario on the battle in the WDS series.  This gives me a pretty good idea of how the battle was and could have been fought, and gives me a good jumping off point for more in depth research.

+1

Historically the research in the games and orders of battle are usually spot on.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

nelmsm

You can also hotseat them.  Might play one side one day and one side the next.  If that isn't fitting your gaming time then start two different scenarios and play one side of each and then flip them the next time you sit down

Grim.Reaper

sale is up and running...may pick up a game or two myself although no idea what yet....

Sir Slash

Me too. What's good? What's great? What's not?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

nelmsm

I've got them all except for two of the Naval Campaigns and the Modern Air Power Middle East.  So I may pick up Guadacanal as I had a lot of fun doing some testing on Kriegsmarine.  Any questions feel free to ask.  They are right though I wouldn't pick them up for playing the AI in the big campaigns but the AI will give you a good fight in the smaller scenarios.  Just got done playing a medium sized scenario in the upcoming Panzer Campaign and the AI did a credible job on the attack, rotated worn troops out and fresh troops in, etc.  Ended up with just a draw and glad to get it.

Grim.Reaper

The strength (or lack of) of the AI doesn't bother me much as I am sure my own ability is worse than the AI itself.  Always has presented me a reasonable challenge.  Lot of different topics to choose from so I'll probably procrastinate for a few days before deciding.

Rayfer

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 17, 2022, 11:54:59 AM
The strength (or lack of) of the AI doesn't bother me much as I am sure my own ability is worse than the AI itself.  Always has presented me a reasonable challenge.  Lot of different topics to choose from so I'll probably procrastinate for a few days before deciding.

+1 My experience exactly.  I can only conclude that my wargaming intelligence is artificial as well. 

jamus34

Quote from: Rayfer on June 17, 2022, 12:15:41 PM

+1 My experience exactly.  I can only conclude that my wargaming intelligence is artificial as well.

I rate my military tactics skills somewhere between a lobotimized circus seal and a civilian cow puncher.
Insert witty comment here.

Rayfer

Quote from: jamus34 on June 17, 2022, 04:30:50 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on June 17, 2022, 12:15:41 PM

I rate my military tactics skills somewhere between a lobotimized circus seal and a civilian cow puncher.

Good one! When guys here post coments like 'WDS/Tiller game AI's are braindead', I cringe, curl up in the corner of the room and suck my thumb in humiliations.

Sir Slash

I'm so bad, I once played against myself in a game...and still couldn't win.  :wow:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Grim.Reaper

Anybody have a site that has the release order of the civil war games?  I know they all get updated, but interested to know the chronological release order.  Thanks