Grogheads Fantasy Football 2014 Season

Started by Bison, July 14, 2014, 08:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Con

Thanks for the explanation

If my final roster contains players that I never drafted (ie players I traded for or took off free agents as the season progressed) whats the impact of choosing those players on my draft order?

For example I dropped Gronk after he shredded his knee (he was a high pick for me) and picked up Julius Thomas in week 7 or so from available free players.  Since I never drafted him what impact does that have on my draft sequence?

Thanks
Con

Bison

The default to keep players that were not drafted but picked up as a free agent last year will be to the projected round to be drafted this year.

Bison

Well we need one more manager to have the required even number of teams in the Pro league. 

Marty Ward

Quote from: Arctic Blast on July 24, 2014, 02:25:57 PM
Quote from: Con on July 24, 2014, 09:01:11 AM
OK first thoughts...how did I ever make it third place with such a putrid team (that is if I am reading this correctly?).  I had greater than 50% turnover in active layers from my draft picks

Also I am completely confused by the Keeper league and rules and how to execute this.

Do we keep players we drafted or do we chose from our end of year (2013) roster?
Where and how do we select what players we keep on the Yahoo site (I think I get that we can choose three)
What exactly does it mean when you say that it costs us 1 draft pick higher?  Can  someone please provide a scenario of how this works.

Thanks
Con

Pick your Keepers by hovering the mouse over 'My Team' once you're looking at the League page. One of the options (very bottom of the list) is Choose Keepers.

As for what you'll lose by keeping them, you'll surrender your pick in this year's draft that's a round higher than where you chose that player in last year's draft. For example, I'll use my choices :

LeSean McCoy was last year's 1st rounder. I'm keeping him, and thus surrendering this year's first rounder. Note that I would not have been able to also keep my 2nd round pick from last year, since that also would have surrendered my 1st rounder this season.
Peyton Manning was last year's 3rd, and I'm dumping this year's 2nd by keeping him.
Alshon Jeffrey was last year's 14th rounder, making him a 13th round mega-bargain this season.

You can see where you drafted players last season by choosing the 'Last Season' option under Draft Central.

So you can't keep your 1st and 2nd rounder from last year? Why?
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Marty Ward on July 25, 2014, 10:21:26 AM
OK first thoughts...how did I ever make it third place with such a putrid team (that is if I am reading this correctly?).  I had greater than 50% turnover in active layers from my draft picks

Also I am completely confused by the Keeper league and rules and how to execute this.

Do we keep players we drafted or do we chose from our end of year (2013) roster?
Where and how do we select what players we keep on the Yahoo site (I think I get that we can choose three)
What exactly does it mean when you say that it costs us 1 draft pick higher?  Can  someone please provide a scenario of how this works.

Thanks
Con

Pick your Keepers by hovering the mouse over 'My Team' once you're looking at the League page. One of the options (very bottom of the list) is Choose Keepers.

As for what you'll lose by keeping them, you'll surrender your pick in this year's draft that's a round higher than where you chose that player in last year's draft. For example, I'll use my choices :

LeSean McCoy was last year's 1st rounder. I'm keeping him, and thus surrendering this year's first rounder. Note that I would not have been able to also keep my 2nd round pick from last year, since that also would have surrendered my 1st rounder this season.
Peyton Manning was last year's 3rd, and I'm dumping this year's 2nd by keeping him.
Alshon Jeffrey was last year's 14th rounder, making him a 13th round mega-bargain this season.

You can see where you drafted players last season by choosing the 'Last Season' option under Draft Central.

Last year's 1st round pick costs you this year's 1st. However, every pick from beyond the 1st round last year costs you one round higher this year, meaning your 2nd rounder last year also costs you this year's 1st. Since you only have one 1st rounder this year, you can't keep both.

Marty Ward

Quote from: Arctic Blast on July 25, 2014, 12:40:31 PM
Quote from: Marty Ward on July 25, 2014, 10:21:26 AM

Thanks
Con

Last year's 1st round pick costs you this year's 1st. However, every pick from beyond the 1st round last year costs you one round higher this year, meaning your 2nd rounder last year also costs you this year's 1st. Since you only have one 1st rounder this year, you can't keep both.

Is that the way keeper leagues work? Seems kind of odd if you are building a team not to keep your two best players from last year no matter where they were drafted.

How in the heck do I know what round someone was drafted in last year?
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

Arctic Blast

I like the fact that you can't keep your top 2 picks from last year. It keeps talent in the pool and forces you to look beyond the guys you snagged early on.

You can see where you drafted players by choosing the 'Last Season' option at the bottom of the list under Draft Central. Guys you didn't draft but picked up during the season can be kept by surrendering the pick in whatever round they're expected to go in this year.

Bison

It's sort of a forcing function to put talent back into the pool, but rewards good late round picks.

BanzaiCat

So...what if you want to keep a guy that you picked up after the draft, and he went undrafted in the first place? Does he count against anything?

My only issue is wondering if my first round pick is worth Aaron Rodgers (whom I picked 2nd last year). No way I'm keeping Arian Foster for a first round pick, not as banged up as he is. Rodgers, though, might be worth it.

My other keeper is Vernon Davis. I'm loath to keep a TE, but he went undrafted last year I think, and he had a big year last year. Which is reflected of course in his little holdout from camp over his salary, but he finally reported. I gotta wonder if he'll step up again.

My other option is Decker from the Jets; he had a good year, he went undrafted as well...but, you know, Jets.

Marty Ward

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on July 28, 2014, 06:42:41 AM
So...what if you want to keep a guy that you picked up after the draft, and he went undrafted in the first place? Does he count against anything?

Good question.

Con

Quote from: Bison on July 24, 2014, 10:32:35 PM
The default to keep players that were not drafted but picked up as a free agent last year will be to the projected round to be drafted this year.

OK I can see where players who were drafted last year and at what round but how can you find out what is the projected round this year for an undrafted player from last year?

More than half my roster is these undrafted last year players

Thanks
Con

Bison

If you look at the draft projections for this year, it will list the player and the average round the player is expected to be taken.  So if a player is project to be taken in the 2.8 round, it would be a second round pick. 

BanzaiCat

Thanks, Bison. Vernon is a 5.2 so I might just keep him.

Bison

Well right now we have an issue.  We are stuck at 7 teams and need an even number to set the draft.  So either Steelie comes back or we need to find a replacement.

Arctic Blast