Crusader Kings III - Coming 2020

Started by Grim.Reaper, October 19, 2019, 08:06:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moreb

Lol. RPS. I remember that site. Vaguely.

Just add it to the ever expanding list of things that gets special snowflakes triggered. Is anyone really surprised? It's always a great idea to let the most fringe people dictate the status quo.  ::) Up next in a expose in RPS, the originator of the most vile of internet hatreds....

Sheep get led.

p.s.
If you're bothered by followup comments to the op, maybe it's best to comment on the sections that are of interest to you?
When dongles fly? - mirth

JasonPratt

Well, apparently you can create your own hideous eugenics program and design your own hideous form of religion perhaps including it! as long as you don't use Deus Vult as a slogan cough

...not that I'm interested in such things, but the previewer seemed to think it was important. So, yay?

Honestly, not much about the posted details made me interested in a game upgrade, other than the UI being cleaned up. Like, y'know, in a good update overhaul.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Moreb

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 20, 2019, 05:21:55 PM
Well, apparently you can create your own hideous eugenics program and design your own hideous form of religion perhaps including it! as long as you don't use Deus Vult as a slogan cough

...not that I'm interested in such things, but the previewer seemed to think it was important. So, yay?

Indeed. It's all just so predictable. Manufactured outrage by those that consider their own selves to be the curators of proper individual thought. Whatever a company decides to do while risking their own capital in the process is certainly their business. But leave it to RPS to dictate their outrage de jour when given the opportunity. Comment to the contrary on their site and be set upon by a 37th Level Woker with their Sword of Hypocrisy and enchanted Shield of Echo Chamber. I tire of the modern day Puritans and their ever invasive, biased, selective, and often times hyperbolic, creep into all things, casual or otherwise.

Hopefully Paradox will put their best game forward and we can all choose to be offended or not. Most importantly, hopefully they can produce a game that doesn't need a ton of dlc's to make it well-rounded and one that has intuitive UI's that won't rely on modders to clarify and organize the information.

al_infierno

Quote from: Moreb on October 20, 2019, 08:13:43 PM
Comment to the contrary on their site and be set upon by a 37th Level Woker with their Sword of Hypocrisy and enchanted Shield of Echo Chamber.

Maybe I'm "getting too old" now but I have no idea what this means.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 20, 2019, 05:21:55 PM
Honestly, not much about the posted details made me interested in a game upgrade, other than the UI being cleaned up. Like, y'know, in a good update overhaul.

Well, my main point (aside from irony) was this: and I think maybe this ambivalence is reflected in our focus on the part that doesn't matter at all for gameplay?

Is anyone actually excited to pay for (the beginning of) a whole new game on the same system, for the UI revisions?

...for the increase in grotesqueries?

...for combat-buff characters (distinct from combat-buff leader characters)?

...for any or all of that combined?

Uhhhh, hey, coming up next, some exciting announcements about how Paradox will adjust their political correctness in the game! -- really? That's what the next article is going to be about, to promote the upcoming game??

Completely aside from specific socio-political issues involved in this type of thing being a focus, to me this sounds like there's not much information about the game yet, worth marketing the new game on.

Imagine the difference if the announcement had been DARK KINGS: Paradox takes the CK2 engine with its updates through Holy Fury, and makes an official game covering the end of the Roman Empire to the starting period of CK2, with an eye toward allowing a smooth (as possible) game from AD 350ish, to the end of CK2 at least (and thence into EU4 as far as remains possible).

Would we not be all going HECK YEAH, FINALLY, and celebrating? -- and then rolling our eyes briefly at the p.c. foofaraw before going back to the celebration? Even those of us who didn't care about playing the engine through that time period, at least the game's existence would be clearly reasonable. The p.c. marketing would be at most a distraction, not the main topic in lieu of anything else interesting going on.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Moreb

I can't disagree with any of your post Jason. You certainly have a knack of seeing the larger picture. Fortunately for all parties, there are many actual game sites that don't constantly push an agenda. I'll await their coverage on what may be a good game, even if just another incremental focus. I'd be ready to preorder something as grand as your example if only Paradox could allow themselves to break away from their current, and possibly too safe, path.

I think Paradox will have an uphill battle as most of the concern by players is the bare bones releases and the seemingly lack of desire to repurchase dlc's. I'd say they are at least half of the comments I have read on the various sites. Time will tell if this is just CK 2.5.

Hanging up my pitchfork.

FlickJax

I have CKII but never got into it, felt like i wasn't doing anything and the game was playing itself... is it my lack of patience?

Gusington

Me too but I am willing to try it again. And again.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

OJsDad

JP, when I was reading your last post, the thought occurred to me that, perhaps, due to the current PC environment, that Paradox has chosen not to do Victoria 3. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

JasonPratt

:timeout: :wow:

Man, that hadn't even occurred to me, OJD! Makes some sense, though!

JasonPratt

There's an announcement trailer. Was that upthread somewhere...??

No gameplay or details, other than the main theme is back!

Martok

I have no intention of getting this game, unless maybe a decade from now when there's a "complete" version on sale for cheap.  Even setting aside everything else (which is a lot), CK2's ridiculous DLC bloat, combined with my experience with Stellaris, has alone made me wary of Paradox games. 

They come up with great concepts, but the way they evolve and develop their games after release has come to leave a pretty sour taste in my mouth.  I know I'm not supposed to complain about game companies that actually continue to support their titles after launch, but IMO Paradox's model for doing so sucks big donkey balls. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

JasonPratt

This guy has collected news up to this point into a 10 list. Topical intro ends at around 1 minute, if you want to skip ahead.

Short version:

DLC won't entirely repeat (though obviously some of it will like China mechanics eventually); the most popular DLC and their related patch functions will start off already incorporated.

Map is huge and deep, with baronies now manageable on map. Barons will still not be playable characters however.

Earliest start dates won't be included (no Charlemagne period), but a Viking invasion date will be.

Way of Life DLC will be included in effect, but expanded upon with new UI. Stress will be introduced as a factor for example (if characters act against their traits -- this applies to npcs as well as to player characters.)

Espionage upgraded.

Dynasties will be upgraded, such as having houses within the dynasties which don't necessarily get along (i.e. War of the Roses, but no such civil wars slated at launch yet).

The religion designer is obviously meant to recreate things like Henry 8th and the Anglo-Catholic Church. No overt supernaturalism will be included in the launch (so if your character is a witch there will be events but not like spawning the antichrist to lead an army of undead and demons. ;) )

The Muslim political system will be revamped to be less like Christian/pagan feudalism and more Middle-Eastern in structure.

Claim fabrication is being reworked to make it smoother and more realistic, and (hopefully?) can or will be integrated into the espionage system.

Combat is being revised for more tactical realism (plus knight characters as previously noted). Strategic quality-of-life changes will also be made, such as how pieces of an army travel to gather at a forming-up-point on the map.

It's a sober and cautious but optimistic overview by someone who cares about past and future game mechanics.

OJsDad

Quote from: Martok on October 30, 2019, 01:12:47 AM
I have no intention of getting this game, unless maybe a decade from now when there's a "complete" version on sale for cheap.  Even setting aside everything else (which is a lot), CK2's ridiculous DLC bloat, combined with my experience with Stellaris, has alone made me wary of Paradox games. 

They come up with great concepts, but the way they evolve and develop their games after release has come to leave a pretty sour taste in my mouth.  I know I'm not supposed to complain about game companies that actually continue to support their titles after launch, but IMO Paradox's model for doing so sucks big donkey balls.

Can't disagree with that Martok. I'm pisses how much they screwed up stellaris sectors.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.