Warhammer 40K: Darktide

Started by Jarhead0331, July 24, 2020, 08:52:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

HoodedHorseJoe

I never played Vermintide - is it a game that would translate well to 40K do we think?
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Destraex

My initial thoughts upon seeing the trailer are that I don't know whether I can handle another hordes game:

Plz. Less hordes and more smart fighting enemies and enemy generals. More unit variety.
Their is only so much replayability even from level to level in a game that is just a shooting gallery where the only interesting thing is the number of enemies.
I would like to request tactics and variety of enemies. Vermintides enemies all seems the same.
Oh and story that is compelling. Vermintide's story was pedestrian at best.

So in closing. I am bored with hitpoints. Been playing fatshark games since war of the roses... love them. I know this will be good and love the setting. But am wondering if less enemies and more newer mechanics in a horde "left4dead" style game would add more character and atmosphere.

They have to have distinct groups that play in particular ways and have particular characters.

Also. I just noticed the trailer seemed to have a lot of melee enemies. So it will be like Deathwing (space hulk) I guess. Dumb enemies mindlessly streaming towards you.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

I've been playing the closed beta, and WOW! This game is going to be awesome. The beta build is very impressive so far. Try it out. I think it runs until the end of the day.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

^Have you been playing solo or with other people?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on October 16, 2022, 06:30:19 PM
^Have you been playing solo or with other people?

I don't think there is a solo option. When you select missions, you're automatically paired with a group.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 16, 2022, 12:43:13 PM
I've been playing the closed beta, and WOW! This game is going to be awesome. The beta build is very impressive so far. Try it out. I think it runs until the end of the day.

I tried it and thought it was enjoyable enough. I think though that there are two things which stop me from really thinking it's a stand out game:
1. They removed directional swinging that was in Vermintide
2. The enemies are very specifically zombie hordes rather than how I imagine 40k combat would be against an actual 40k enemy like the Eldar or Tau etc. By this I mean that you can tell that a 40k skin has been applied to the zombie hordes of vermintide which in turn were probably from left for dead. Sure 40k does have this sort of thing. But 40k was a lot more nuanced and intelligent about it. What I am trying to say is I have played this game before at least twice in vermintide and left4dead. It's just a reskin. It's fun enough and probably a best of current breed. I'd probably get it cheap and just run trough the "on rails" levels for the story and any 40k lore I can enjoy along the way. Very little replay value except for on those days you just want to hit stuff imho. I think Space Hulk Deathwing enhanced edition suffers from the same thing, very repetitive dreary charactarisations that should instead jump out at you oozing with character. Basically what you imagine when you play board games is much more boring in a brain dead shooter. In fact I think Deathwing enhanced was probably a better game, just poorly optimised and the motion or FPS problems kinda gave me headaches.
This also reminds me a little of that old game Space Marine in that it is on rails except the game is coop.
3. The story is not told with enough conviction and personality. As far as I can tell so far playing the first level, everybody acts like they know each other including the briefing people but nobody is really interacting with each other so that you get to know them and feel a little connection. I was very disconnected which I guess is kinda 40k.

Fatshark Developers:
> War of the roses (excellent with amazing revolutionary physics based close combat, you could aim and hit anywhere and the game would know if it was soft cloth or armour including an armpit or toes)
> War of the Vikings (excellent but a step down because of the skills system)
> Vermintide (good but lesser close combat mechanics and very basic hitboxes now, you no longer fight the enemy you just hack them down very rarely blocking)
> Vermintide 2 (More of the same)
> Darktide (More of the same with even lesser close combat mechanics with a 40k skin. Blocking and hitting are one dimensional now).

Gusington

No solo option at all...damn :/

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on October 16, 2022, 08:13:13 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 16, 2022, 12:43:13 PM

I tried it and thought it was enjoyable enough. I think though that there are two things which stop me from really thinking it's a stand out game:
1. They removed directional swinging that was in Vermintide
2. The enemies are very specifically zombie hordes rather than how I imagine 40k combat would be against an actual 40k enemy like the Eldar or Tau etc. By this I mean that you can tell that a 40k skin has been applied to the zombie hordes of vermintide which in turn were probably from left for dead. Sure 40k does have this sort of thing. But 40k was a lot more nuanced and intelligent about it. What I am trying to say is I have played this game before at least twice in vermintide and left4dead. It's just a reskin. It's fun enough and probably a best of current breed. I'd probably get it cheap and just run trough the "on rails" levels for the story and any 40k lore I can enjoy along the way. Very little replay value except for on those days you just want to hit stuff imho. I think Space Hulk Deathwing enhanced edition suffers from the same thing, very repetitive dreary charactarisations that should instead jump out at you oozing with character. Basically what you imagine when you play board games is much more boring in a brain dead shooter. In fact I think Deathwing enhanced was probably a better game, just poorly optimised and the motion or FPS problems kinda gave me headaches.
This also reminds me a little of that old game Space Marine in that it is on rails except the game is coop.
3. The story is not told with enough conviction and personality. As far as I can tell so far playing the first level, everybody acts like they know each other including the briefing people but nobody is really interacting with each other so that you get to know them and feel a little connection. I was very disconnected which I guess is kinda 40k.

Fatshark Developers:
> War of the roses (excellent with amazing revolutionary physics based close combat, you could aim and hit anywhere and the game would know if it was soft cloth or armour including an armpit or toes)
> War of the Vikings (excellent but a step down because of the skills system)
> Vermintide (good but lesser close combat mechanics and very basic hitboxes now, you no longer fight the enemy you just hack them down very rarely blocking)
> Vermintide 2 (More of the same)
> Darktide (More of the same with even lesser close combat mechanics with a 40k skin. Blocking and hitting are one dimensional now).

Valid points, I guess, but you're reviewing it like it isn't a closed beta. There is very obviously a lot of content missing. Aside from that, they never advertised it really as anything other than vermintide in 40k, so really no basis to expect anything much deeper.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

We are talking about the basic mechanics. Doubt that will change. I think what we see here is probably what we will get mechanic wise and that IS the game. I am not talking about performance or total existing content as I would with a release. As I understand it this game is very close to release. 30th of this month or something close to that?
Apart from that I am not interested in what they advertised, but what I want from the game. I did not insinuate that the developers are not delivering or that it is a bad game. I just want a different product. Darktide seems like a solid coop shooter at a reasonable price. But I would be like one of those zombies coasting through it on autopilot. One that I will eventually get in all likelihood.

P.S. ATM I am really pumped by what Star Citizen seem to be doing with their AI in shooting situations.... that is going to be an experience. Guards clearing rooms properly and communicating with each other.

SirAndrewD

Absolutely going to dive i this one.

I've got three friends that I play with consistently on Vermintide 2 every Monday and Tuesday.

We're going to rock this one out.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Destraex

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 16, 2022, 11:47:32 PM
Absolutely going to dive i this one.

I've got three friends that I play with consistently on Vermintide 2 every Monday and Tuesday.

We're going to rock this one out.
The only way to play these games. I jumped in with two friends and the other was made up by another random person.
A really great feature of Darktide is that if you disconnect you can reconnect really easily and people can join on top of any bots that may be on your team.

Close combat feels strange after playing mordhau and chivalry 2, melee weapons are so short. I made my character so tall as an Ogryn that I had trouble hitting the smaller enemies  :2funny:

Jarhead0331

Been dicking around with the pre-order early release. Pretty friggin' cool so far.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 17, 2022, 05:54:07 PM
Been dicking around with the pre-order early release. Pretty friggin' cool so far.

Which would you prefer, Deathwing Enhanced or Darktide?
Which do you think has mechanics that make it feel like a game set in the "40k" universe as you imagine it would be?

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Destraex on November 17, 2022, 06:28:07 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 17, 2022, 05:54:07 PM

Which would you prefer, Deathwing Enhanced or Darktide?
Which do you think has mechanics that make it feel like a game set in the "40k" universe as you imagine it would be?

So far, and it's with just a couple of hours of piddling with it, I feel Darktide feels a lot better and more 40k like than Deathwing. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback