Tally Ho Corner - Tim Stone's new column

Started by al_infierno, January 02, 2021, 08:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

https://tallyhocorner.com/

Thought people here would like to know that Tim Stone (formerly of The Flare Path on RPS) has started his own website after being fired by RPS.  I started a thread on R&P if people want to discuss the nature of Tim's firing.  Please limit this thread to discussion of the new website.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Father Ted

Thanks for the heads-up chap, I do miss those Friday Flarepaths

spelk

Thanks for the info, Tim has been a real strategy/wargaming beacon over at RPS and its cool to see him rustle up his own place to be. Will be following the Tally Ho Corner for sure.

Yskonyn

<deleted link to avoid confusion>
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

RyanE

I think that link is a circular reference.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: RyanE on January 04, 2021, 09:48:14 AM
I think that link is a circular reference.

It is now. It wasn't when he posted it. I merged the threads.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

solops

Never read RPS regularly. Will be SURE to read Tim Stones new site daily.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Toonces

Why is there so much hate for RPS?

I don't frequent RPS often, but I've never found anything to dislike there.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Ubercat

Quote from: Toonces on January 04, 2021, 08:58:48 PM

Because they can't just stick to gaming. They're WOKE AF and want everyone to know how virtuous they are. Just like BoardGameGeek.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Ubercat on January 04, 2021, 09:09:19 PM
Quote from: Toonces on January 04, 2021, 08:58:48 PM

Because they can't just stick to gaming. They're WOKE AF and want everyone to know how virtuous they are. Just like BoardGameGeek.

Not only do they shove their social virtue down everyone's throat, but I've never liked their reviews. Most of their writers think they are far more clever than they actually are and they can't  just write a succinct and clear piece. I often find myself wondering what exactly it is that the writer is trying to say and I can't count the times I read a review and couldn't figure out for the life of me what the author thought of the game.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

al_infierno

I liked Jim Rossignol's reviews before he left, but I agree with JH.  Their other writers always felt like they were trying too hard to be quirky and cute with their reviews and inject their personality into everything instead of just reviewing the damn game.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: Ubercat on January 04, 2021, 09:09:19 PM

BGG never really catered to wargamers anyway.  The site's game listings are good, but the forums are hidden away in their "subdomain" and the moderators there actively dislike the wargame crowd, or at least did when I was frequenting the forums there.

If grogheads were able to replicate their cataloguing system there would be no need at all to go to boardgamegeek.

Michael Dorosh

Incidentally, is Tim planning on actually talking about games in his new blog?

airboy

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 04, 2021, 09:15:17 PM
Not only do they shove their social virtue down everyone's throat, but I've never liked their reviews. Most of their writers think they are far more clever than they actually are and they can't  just write a succinct and clear piece. I often find myself wondering what exactly it is that the writer is trying to say and I can't count the times I read a review and couldn't figure out for the life of me what the author thought of the game.

I had the same experience.  I hate reviews that don't clearly specify what the game is, how it works and only then what the author's impression of the game is.  Someone with enough knowledge to compare the game to other, similar games is an added plus. 

Aside from The Flare Path, I've never bought a game based on a Rock-Paper-Shotgun review.  In contrast, I've bought many games based on other reviewers and even game descriptions done off-hand by people here.