Introducing TASK FORCE ADMIRAL Vol.1: American Carrier Battles

Started by The_Admiral, October 11, 2019, 12:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

I think a lot about what makes, to me, a good WW2 carrier-centric wargame. 

I keep coming back to the belief that most of the important decisions are made before the strike is launched.  It's the maneuvering and planning, usually taking place the night before, that leads to putting your force in position to land the first effective strike.

In order to do this, the player really needs access to time and sea room.  Intelligence regarding enemy intentions and force construct is important, too, if only to help the player find ambush points, search arcs, and strike composition.

I don't know how you make that initial part exciting.  For as sterile as the combat in WitP:AE is, I feel like it accomplishes the important pieces leading up to the CV vs. CV strikes very well.  To me, the perfect TF:A game is going to give me enough scope pre-battle to move forces hundreds of miles a day, move and counter-move, but on strike day allow me to zoom in and make a few tactical decisions.

Frankly I'm not even sure I could write this game; to some extent I'll know it when I see it.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

GDS_Starfury

Ive seen what you want.  there was a very old game that let you take control of a plane in a strike after you did all the strategy stuff.
so do the same here but expand it to scouts.  time compression could be used and if somethings spotted it automatically resets to 1 or pauses.
the same would work for a plane you picked in a strike or as CAP or ASW patrol.  fuck, you could almost make a sub-game of just playing the rescue PBY.
theres also the Homeworld approach wherein you can follow anything from an over the shoulder or cockpit view.  you have no direct control of individual fighter size craft but you do control what they do and how as a squadron.  the catch is its up to you to pay attention and know what might be interesting to watch while also conduction the rest of your fleets actions.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Pete Dero

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on April 14, 2021, 01:54:08 AM
Ive seen what you want.  there was a very old game that let you take control of a plane in a strike after you did all the strategy stuff.

Pacific Storm Allies ?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/11260/Pacific_Storm_Allies/

Whether you chart the conflict's progress from a strategic level or man a deck gun or get behind the controls of a fighter or bomber and personally take the fight to your foes, seize the day and rewrite history of some the most intense battles of World War II!

Staggerwing

Rowan's old Battle of Britain game was like that. You could fight the war strictly from the map if you wanted or jump into an individual plane and fly it during the mission you planned. IIRC, Matrix still sells a version of it.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

The_Admiral

If you have nothing better to watch on the TV this weekend, allow me to point you in a fine direction, courtesy of the Military Aviation History channel :coolsmiley:

Destraex

Admiral, did you watch history buffs first part of his midway movie review?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

The_Admiral

Aye a few days ago already - a friend of yours? :)

(in all honesty though I have felt that most of the contents seemed to be about the strategic picture more than anything, so I did fast forward a tad bit)

Was talking to Drachinifel yesterday, he has his own - so do I, and so does Chris. I guess even Bernhard has one. We all feel like there's something that should be said. Probably very different from what the history buffs channel focus on though :)

Destraex

History Buff's first part is usually about the history and then the second part which will be out this week focuses on the movie itself and any mistakes. He is not a friend of mine, but I do enjoy his videos.
I have watched some of drachinfels stuff in the past. Not sure about the others you mention though, do they have youtube monikers?

The_Admiral

Chris is Military Aviation History, Bernhard is Military History Visualized. :coolsmiley:
By the way Drachinifel just released an outstanding interview with Jonathan Parshall, co-author of Shattered Sword. Midway is approaching indeed  O0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN79g34wjQA

Destraex

ArizonaTank

Quote from: The_Admiral on May 26, 2021, 07:53:43 PM
Chris is Military Aviation History, Bernhard is Military History Visualized. :coolsmiley:
By the way Drachinifel just released an outstanding interview with Jonathan Parshall, co-author of Shattered Sword. Midway is approaching indeed  O0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN79g34wjQA

Great video!!!
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

The_Admiral

Quote from: Destraex on May 26, 2021, 05:11:35 PM
History Buff's first part is usually about the history and then the second part which will be out this week focuses on the movie itself and any mistakes. He is not a friend of mine, but I do enjoy his videos.
I have watched some of drachinfels stuff in the past. Not sure about the others you mention though, do they have youtube monikers?

Second part came out.
I suppose it's useful as a vulgarization for the larger audience.
In regard of nit-picking clearly as always he is a great writer, but some of his researchers probably let him down. His description of most air operations show there was no specific research here, or more exactly a complete lack of (aka you can compare at 5:35 his rendition of the US launches that day with what was pointed out in the flight to nowhere vid). The mere fact that there is a total absence of sources just doesn't put this kind of work in the kind of category I am interested in as an individual - but obviously he also covers a much larger spectrum of topics time-wise, and it wouldn't fair to just criticize one vid while failing to take into account the amount of vastly different domains he tackles. Chris from MAH and him are not really in the same trade I would say, and it's fine, but it's not my kind of stuff. But to each his own  :)

I told Chris he should definitely do a Midway thing at some point and could do the same with many works out there, but he feels more interested in actual research (like the latest video on German air ASW) than reviewing movies that are, truth be told, literally filled with inaccuracies, pretty much all of them - to a point where you'd wonder if trying to point at the wrong things won't make you end up with a longer video than the movie was itself.

Destraex

I will watch the second part soon.
BTW I got the message on spacebook about your studio being interviewed by the single malt strategy guys. I sometimes listen to their podcast. It gets me all excited to play a grand strategy game.... that I realise I won't have time to play between multiplayer games with friends, usually after buying them :P

The_Admiral

Hehe thanks for being a good fan Daes  :coolsmiley:
Here's the link to tomorrow's happenin'. Feel welcome to join, all of you! Jo & Nils from the Sea Power team will be there too :)

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd