Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redwolf

I'm officially too dumb for the A-10C II.

By the time I get to the next crazy targeting mechanism I have already swapped out some basic things I learned the day before. I just want to cluster bomb some bad guys.

Time for some simpler F-86 instead of whining on the forum :)

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 28, 2020, 12:05:47 PM
Has ANYONE EVER successfully refuelled?

I tried it the other day...it took me an absolute age to close with the tanker only to have it turn to follow it's track...I then had to catch it again - I see-sawed forward and backward, left and right, up and down...there's just not a chance in hell I'm going to refuel this aircraft. Normally I'd say practice practice practice...but good gawd it's the most difficult thing to do.

Everything else in the sim - including carrier landings - are baby easy compared to this.

I've done it, but it did take a lot of "practice practice practice!" LoL. I presume you're in the Hornet? Which tanker? The S-3 is harder than the larger platforms. Also, are you using a warthog HOTAS? I found it impossible when I was using the X-55 Rhino. It wasn't until I upgraded my HOTAS that I was able to get it right.  The inputs can make this challenging task even more challenging.

Ultimately, it is not a procedure I enjoy so I avoid missions that require it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

Congrats.

It was a bigger one than the S3. I'm using Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

I guess I'll practice practice practice. I'd like to be able to do it
Alba gu' brath

Yskonyn

If you're using a TrackIR then pause it when you're connecting to the tanker. Especially with a more nervous profile it makes it very hard.

In VR its much easier due to the depth perception. Much easier to detect speed differences early.

Otherwise its just stick time. Drogue and chute is easier than boom imo.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Skoop

Quote from: Gusington on December 28, 2020, 11:34:58 AM
I don't know when I will get the time or brainpower, but now I want to dip my toe into the DCS side of the pool. I have been in love with the Warthog since I was a little kid.

You can configure dcs to run with simlite or even arcade features.  You can modify all the sp content with editor to air start only and just learn how to blow stuff up.

Gusington

Really? Crap. All I really wanna do is blow stuff up...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Yskonyn

Then go play the newly released Project Wingman!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/895870/?snr=1_5_9__205

And SkyKnights is awesome for some quick topdown fun!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/595430/?snr=1_5_9__205
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Skoop on December 28, 2020, 06:52:21 PM
I don't know when I will get the time or brainpower, but now I want to dip my toe into the DCS side of the pool. I have been in love with the Warthog since I was a little kid.

You can configure dcs to run with simlite or even arcade features.  You can modify all the sp content with editor to air start only and just learn how to blow stuff up.
Or keep all your SIM stuff and just press Windows Key+Home to auto start and Windows Key+End to shutdown. I learned how to start the A-10 from cold - but honestly after a while I didn't see the point - especially when learning so many aircraft - I'd rather spend the time learning the key systems for fighting than start up and shut down.
Alba gu' brath

Pete Dero

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 29, 2020, 06:59:16 AM
Quote from: Skoop on December 28, 2020, 06:52:21 PM

Or keep all your SIM stuff and just press Windows Key+Home to auto start and Windows Key+End to shutdown. I learned how to start the A-10 from cold - but honestly after a while I didn't see the point - especially when learning so many aircraft - I'd rather spend the time learning the key systems for fighting than start up and shut down.

It is your game and you are allowed to have fun with it any way you want  (and I also use the auto start function  O0).

Jarhead0331

I think I have more fun with the advanced routine procedures than I do with actual combat. lol

I love cold and dark start, taxi, take-off, navigation and landing. For some reason, it never really gets old for me and I find successfully pulling off a mission, even routine ones, from start to finish is exceptionally rewarding and part of the immersion. But yes, it is a sandbox and part of the beauty of it is that it can be played and enjoyed in so many different ways.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mikeck

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 28, 2020, 08:29:00 AM
Quote from: Pete Dero on December 28, 2020, 06:40:14 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 28, 2020, 05:34:56 AM
Basically I want an F/A-18 campaign from a carrier that is solely for ground support.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305852/ Oil In The Water - F/A-18C & Persian Gulf Campaign
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305784/ Operation Saber Thrust - Supercarriers (This Campaign involves the use of Air-Air / SEAD / Air-Ground / Intercept)
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3307739/ Arab Spring (12 missions of A-A, A-G and a Harpoon sortie too)
wow. I actually didn't know there were user campaigns. Thank you

User campaigns AND user missions.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

Quote from: Gusington on December 28, 2020, 07:29:08 PM
Really? Crap. All I really wanna do is blow stuff up...

Try the viggen
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

SirAndrewD

Looking forward to finally getting to dig back into DCS. 

Just assembled a new full HOTAS rig mount and I have two MFD's and LCD's coming in tomorrow. 

Still no Warthog in stock.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

The Viggen looks sassy in a Swedish bikini team sorta way.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

I've been thinking of picking up some maps to play Combined Arms on as my HOTAS is packed up at the moment.  Any of you guys still messing with CA?  I actually quite enjoy it, in an arcade sort of way.  I absolutely suck at all forms of ground warfare, though, so I don't mind the lite nature of it.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs