Midway remake out in cinemas NOV 8

Started by Destraex, June 09, 2019, 04:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Quote from: Tripoli on November 10, 2019, 04:04:30 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on November 10, 2019, 02:26:06 PM
There's nothing on par with two Mustangs playing chicken with each other to cause Zeroes to crash. ;) (Come to think of it, I realize American fighters must have been in the film but they sure don't get much attention!)

While ramming generally isn't an accepted air defense tactic, it could be effective in a Dauntless against the lightly-built Japanese Zero.  In one encounter with Zeros in May 1942, Stanley "Swede" Vejtasa was attacked by three A6M2 Zero fighters.  He shot down two of them and cut off the wing of the third with his wingtip in a head-on pass .  See https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3qhcjy at the 1:44 mark.

Yeah, it's been probably said already but the SBD is the only bomber of WW2 to have a greater than 1:1 air to air kill ratio (actually about 3:1). With all but the first SBD-2s having two 50 cals in the nose they were even occasionally used for combat air patrols.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

airboy

What was amazing to me the first time I saw a Dauntless (and an F4F Wildcat) were how tiny they were.

RedArgo

Saw the movie this afternoon with one of my sons, didn't have high expectations, but we both really liked it.  It surely has some Hollywood moments, but they do a good job of generally sticking to the real story and making it entertaining.

Tripoli

Quote from: airboy on November 10, 2019, 05:41:37 PM
What was amazing to me the first time I saw a Dauntless (and an F4F Wildcat) were how tiny they were.
Yep, they are small compared to modern aircraft.  The Dauntless as also deliberately made as small as possible because it didn't have folding wings.  That decision was made in order to make the airframe as strong as possible to withstand the g-forces from pulling out of a dive bomb attack.  But because it didn't have folding wings, it would take up a lot of deck space, thereby limiting the size of the embarked airwing on a carrier.  So, to minimize that, Heinemann designed the SBD to be as small as possible.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

airboy

I rewatched the 1976 Midway movie this evening.  It starts out with the Doolittle raid.  Coral Sea is talked about, but not shown on camera.  A lot of the footage was WW2 combat footage.  The big flaw with the 1976 Midway was the unnecessary and irritating romance between an F4F pilot and a Japanese girl who is interned with her parents.  Fortunately, with DVD you can zip right through all of that.

Tom Sellick has a bit part (forgotten all about that) and Eric Estrada (CHiPS) has a minor role. 

SirAndrewD

I honestly never liked Midway '76.   

It's a poor man's Tora Tora Tora. 

Mifune, Fonda and Holbrook are highlights though.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JudgeDredd

I'm going to see it based on you boys feedback - but I have to say I am very, very disappointed with the cartoon CGI in the trailer. WTF is going on with CGI nowadays. There's really no excuse for bad CGI in films now...they've perfected it.

I'm glad it appears to be not as bad as the trailer shows it to be - and I'll give some feedback when I've been
Alba gu' brath

besilarius

After listening to all the discussion, the historical people, will find things to be disappointed in.  Corners were cut, and personalities misrepresented.
However, for the vast majority of people, who have no idea that there was a Battle at Midway, this is a great spectacle.
It draws them in, and may be a gateway for the more thoughtful ones.  This may get their curiousity aroused to dig down and learn more of Midway and World War II.
I never expect Hollywood to be very accurate, they are selling entertainment.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

JasonPratt

I didn't think it was bad CGI at all, and I had that impression from the trailer, too. Possibly it was unfinished, but I suspect the impression came from a lot of the trailer showing dive bombing and flying into gunfire at various angles so it looks sparkly and fireworkish.

Then again, I play a lot of computer games, so it isn't hard to clear my bar for cut-scenes and quick-time events.  >:D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

There are a bunch of little details I hadn't noticed often in prior naval movies either, like everyone with binoculars has cheescloth or a shammy or something like that between the binocs and their hands. Not so important on a set, but kind of important out where you might get spray on your binocs.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Gusington

There...there are people out there who don't know there was a battle at Midway?

Don't answer.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Based on a poll I recall being made back around 2008 or 2010, 20 to 25% of British citizens under 30 think Winston Churchill is a fictional character. And Montgomery, iirc.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on November 11, 2019, 12:47:43 PM
There...there are people out there who don't know there was a battle at Midway?

Don't answer.

Gus, I taught History for almost 20 years.   I could tell you stories of what people don't know, kids and adults, that would make you cry, literally cry.  There's a reason I switched careers upon hitting middle age.

Yes, there are people that don't know there was a Battle of Midway.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

^I knew I liked you. I also taught history and social studies for a few years.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on November 11, 2019, 03:27:25 PM
^I knew I liked you. I also taught history and social studies for a few years.

Then you know the pain of writing "Europe is not a country, it is a continent.  Austria and Australia are not the same."  in huge letters on a white board and making a class stare at it for 45 minutes as a lesson.