WWI lecture for history buffs

Started by Mr. Bigglesworth, January 13, 2015, 01:09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bigglesworth

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Martok

I'd swear I'd already heard this gentleman's talk on the subject; I think someone here might have beat you to linking it.  It's a good lecture, though, and worth bringing to folks' attention again. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

besilarius

If you like lecturers on military history, here is the New York schedule:
http://bobrowen.com/nymas/schedule.html

It caN be daunting to get to a lecture in NYC from out of the area.  However, it is worth it if you have any interest in the particular subject.  Besides the speaker, many of the audience know a lot and are all willing to share.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Martok on January 13, 2015, 03:23:11 AM
I'd swear I'd already heard this gentleman's talk on the subject; I think someone here might have beat you to linking it.  It's a good lecture, though, and worth bringing to folks' attention again.

Presumably if you've read Sleepwalkers a lot of this should sound familiar, too. ;)

Going to dl it for Mom and Dad, since the book is tough to plow through.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Mr. Bigglesworth

JasonPratt

Eh... the Sleepwalkers lecture wasn't so much an overview of the book, as 1/2 a recount (in some detail) of the Ferdi's assassination (without much context for why it happened), and 1/2 an apologetic for why he thought to write the book.

Did he go on afterward to do more lectures in the series from the book? {checking} No, dangit.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Mr. Bigglesworth

JasonPratt

Yay, I can use it to buy new games!

;D