Greater resonance to you

Started by bayonetbrant, July 22, 2013, 02:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

There are a few.

The Marines 'Yomping' overland.

The battle for Goose Green.

The terrible pictures of RFA Sir Galahad ablaze.

The final raising of the flag at Port Stanley.

Too many really - but those stand out to me.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

airboy

Fall of the Berlin Wall & the Collapse of the USSR was the biggest military/political event of my lifetime.

My Dad within 30 days of the collapse of the USSR showed me a history book published before WW1 showing all of the cultural and political fault lines going through the Balkins.  He predicted that the next set of wars would take place there.  He also said that the world politically & militarily was going to go back to where it was prior to WW1 with lots and lots of small wars.

Personally in terms of "remembering where I was" that was 9-11.  I was teaching an 8:00am college class.  I got in early that day as usual.  Less than half the class showed up and I could not figure out why.  I was answering a student question after class and a young co-ed came in and told me that we had been attacked in New York and that "I guess we are at war or something."  I told her not to ever make flippant comments like that.  The next day the Provost asked the faculty to not count absent students who missed class that day.

But I remember all of these events very well (excepting the JFK murder because that is a little before my time of remembering stuff).

bayonetbrant

bump...  b/c I know we've added folks since this discussion 5 years ago :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers