Mount and Blade Bannerlord

Started by Bison, June 12, 2017, 08:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

Quote from: acctingman on October 27, 2022, 03:58:39 PM
So, I'm not really into these sorts of games but I read that there is a mod for this in the works (Kingdom of Arda...big middle earth mod) and this has really peeked my interest. Upon more googling I guess the same person(s) did a Kingdom of Arda mod for the original game.

I watched a couple intro youtube videos for Bannerlord 2 and wowsers...learning curve up the keester.  But, damn...this game looks amazing. I might grab it on sale. Gives me time to learn the mechanics of the game before they make the middle earth mod  ;D

Mount and Blade Warband is on sale now for the price of a fancy cup of coffee. I highly recommend it if you think you just might be interested but aren't sure.

M&B series are deep games, but they are really great in the 'play and learn mode'...actually, the best way to play. So don't worry about the 'learning curve.' Just play. 

One of the other great things about the series is that all of the games are easy on folks like me who aren't really good twitch jockeys. I can fine tune difficulty to the extent that I feel like a warrior and not a spoon-fed ham-fist. Even though I really am a spoon-fed ham-fist. Of course, for those out there who are true wonders of nature when it comes to reaction time, the game has modes for you as well.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

acctingman

Quote from: ArizonaTank on October 27, 2022, 05:31:09 PM
Quote from: acctingman on October 27, 2022, 03:58:39 PM
So, I'm not really into these sorts of games but I read that there is a mod for this in the works (Kingdom of Arda...big middle earth mod) and this has really peeked my interest. Upon more googling I guess the same person(s) did a Kingdom of Arda mod for the original game.

I watched a couple intro youtube videos for Bannerlord 2 and wowsers...learning curve up the keester.  But, damn...this game looks amazing. I might grab it on sale. Gives me time to learn the mechanics of the game before they make the middle earth mod  ;D

Mount and Blade Warband is on sale now for the price of a fancy cup of coffee. I highly recommend it if you think you just might be interested but aren't sure.

M&B series are deep games, but they are really great in the 'play and learn mode'...actually, the best way to play. So don't worry about the 'learning curve.' Just play. 

One of the other great things about the series is that all of the games are easy on folks like me who aren't really good twitch jockeys. I can fine tune difficulty to the extent that I feel like a warrior and not a spoon-fed ham-fist. Even though I really am a spoon-fed ham-fist. Of course, for those out there who are true wonders of nature when it comes to reaction time, the game has modes for you as well.

Thanks for the comments AT. I might just pick up Warband and give it a spin.

al_infierno

Warband and the original Mount and Blade also have a lot of great mods if you can get them to work, like 1886 for original M&B and the Game of Thrones mod for Warband

Definitely gonna reinstall Bannerlord and give it a shot not that it's in 1.0 state.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

JasonPratt

I still have the With Fire and Sword (historical Poland) semi-official mod for one of those games. Not sure I ever got it to work well...
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

ArizonaTank

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 27, 2022, 08:44:25 PM
I still have the With Fire and Sword (historical Poland) semi-official mod for one of those games. Not sure I ever got it to work well...

With Fire and Sword is great...and is a fully supported stand alone "expansion." It is $2.50 on sale now...

The only place in game land where you can lead first person winged hussar charges.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Gusington

^Was just gonna post that about the Polish winged hussars!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

joram

Bought this game, downloaded all 50GB of it.  Oof.  It is early but so far plays surprisingly smooth on my ancient computer.   This game may just break me of my Shadow Empire habit.  Maybe.

acctingman

So, I've been watching some tips/how to videos on this game and it looks amazing. I've never played a game like this so it looks a little daunting, but damn....there is so much to do!!

Question - how twitchy is the hand to hand combat? I dislike (aka, I suck at them) games where you have to swing left, double click right, shake your ass to get the proper swing in. The learning curve seems high, but it also looks like there is an "easy" mode for me to use to learn the game.

How are people liking it so far?

ArizonaTank

Quote from: acctingman on October 30, 2022, 03:08:05 PM
So, I've been watching some tips/how to videos on this game and it looks amazing. I've never played a game like this so it looks a little daunting, but damn....there is so much to do!!

Question - how twitchy is the hand to hand combat? I dislike (aka, I suck at them) games where you have to swing left, double click right, shake your ass to get the proper swing in. The learning curve seems high, but it also looks like there is an "easy" mode for me to use to learn the game.

How are people liking it so far?

It's not too twichy IMHO. However, some tasks take a little practice...like hitting an infantryman with a sword from a horse.

I recommend you start with bows at first. They are pretty easy to get the hang of.

Also, I strongly recommend you turn down the difficulty. You can set it so that you can't be killed in combat, also so that you take only 25% of damage (ie. a sword hit on you does only 25% of the damage it might have otherwise done). That will help you alot. Also, while you are learning, you might want to set it up so that your men also take less damage.

Sword fighting is not too difficult. Get a shield, and when you see the enemy move to strike you, right click to block it. Then attack with left click. You will quickly get the hang of it.

One way to practice using weapons from horse is to wait until the enemy breaks in a battle (usually you are fighting looters in the early game, and they break pretty easily). Don't exit the battle right away. Instead, run down the looters. They won't attack back, and they make good targets. If you are having trouble finding the running looters, give your men a charge order, and they will start running in the direction of the escaping looters.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Trooperc7

Fight in the arena as often as you can. This will help you hone your fighting skills on foot and also on horseback. If you fail there it is no problem. If you win the tournament you get prizes which are worth a lot of money  or things you can use for the betterment of your character.

Start with the bow on horseback. it will help you fight the looters and even up those fights you get into at first.

The game gets easier as your group grows.