Outerra World Sandbox

Started by Jarhead0331, November 01, 2022, 05:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Interesting...another MicroProse published title that for some reason hasn't received much publicity or public information.

I believe this is the same engine used to develop Titan IM.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/575020/Outerra_World_Sandbox/
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Skoop

Imagine if dcs was built with this.

Destraex

Quote from: Skoop on November 01, 2022, 09:40:32 PM
Sometimes I wish DCS was built into the latest MS flight sim with the whole world included as a result. But in reality the population is not large enough to support that in a multiplayer environment which is where I mostly play. Believe it or not the multiplayer community scales down after the free default map considerably. Because even if you own other maps that one guy that has not got a map determines that you play in the default free map. The same would probably apply for the most popular area of a world map like Outerra. You would only use a tiny portion anyways in multiplayer.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

JasonPratt

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 01, 2022, 05:14:58 PM
Interesting...another MicroProse published title that for some reason hasn't received much publicity or public information.

I don't know about Titan IM (failed a search on Steam), but Outerra is also the ones developing the Bloody 100th. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1752530/B1

"All made possible by an engine that can render the entire globe."
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 02, 2022, 12:43:43 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 01, 2022, 05:14:58 PM

I don't know about Titan IM (failed a search on Steam), but Outerra is also the ones developing the Bloody 100th. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1752530/B1

"All made possible by an engine that can render the entire globe."

You won't find Titan IM on steam. It is not available on the commercial market.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Skoop

Quote from: Destraex on November 02, 2022, 02:21:33 AM
Quote from: Skoop on November 01, 2022, 09:40:32 PM
Sometimes I wish DCS was built into the latest MS flight sim with the whole world included as a result. But in reality the population is not large enough to support that in a multiplayer environment which is where I mostly play. Believe it or not the multiplayer community scales down after the free default map considerably. Because even if you own other maps that one guy that has not got a map determines that you play in the default free map. The same would probably apply for the most popular area of a world map like Outerra. You would only use a tiny portion anyways in multiplayer.

The Map as DLC is slippery slope for the reasons you just expressed.  I like how IL2 does it, the map comes with the planes as a package and you get the single player content.  Multiplayer, everyone has map access, and you just fly the planes you have.  MP is way less fractured in IL2, it's more about are you feeling west front or east front or maybe both.

Skoop

Also have heard from quite a few DCS enthusiasts that ED might transition to a global map system as the community map fracturing is a huge issue.  It would work exactly how des described, like MSFS.  So everyone gets a low to moderate detailed world, but if you want the really good high detailed world, you buy the map DLC.  At least this system would not economically bar anyone from MP.

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: Skoop on November 02, 2022, 04:41:44 PM
Also have heard from quite a few DCS enthusiasts that ED might transition to a global map system as the community map fracturing is a huge issue.  It would work exactly how des described, like MSFS.  So everyone gets a low to moderate detailed world, but if you want the really good high detailed world, you buy the map DLC.  At least this system would not economically bar anyone from MP.

I wish they'd do this, but I have a hard time believing they'd ever in a million years do that. They make so much money off the maps.

Skoop

Again, there still would be a market for maps.  If you've flown MSFS the out of the box scenery is great at 5,000 feet up.  Once you get low, you start seeing all kinds of imperfections in the bing scenery.  If you look at the MSFS scenery retailers, they are still making a lucrative living by adding payware highly detailed scenery.  I usually buy high end scenery for MSFS for the routes I fly frequently.  And there's no reason this couldn't exsist in dcs, people aren't gona want to do helos in the weeds with that bing feed scenery.