Holiday Sale Regrets

Started by Rayfer, January 14, 2020, 03:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayfer

Now that the holiday sales are mostly over I see that I have two different regrets. Do you have either of these two?

1)Game I wanted to get but didn't.  I wanted to take advantage of the Tiller sale (a rare event) by getting  a Panzer Battles games, probably the newer one set in North Africa. I screwed up thinking their sale ran like the Matrix sale into January. When I went to make the purchase it was no longer on sale. A lost opportunity.

2) Game I got on sale but now wish I hadn't. Interstellar Space Genesis...after 7 hours of gameplay I realized this was just another iteration of many games I already have; i.e. Master of Orion, Stellaris, Stars in Shadow, Polaris Sector, Endless Space, etc.  It's a decently good 4X space game but nothing better than what I already have.

W8taminute

Quote from: Rayfer on January 14, 2020, 03:15:48 PM
Now that the holiday sales are mostly over I see that I have two different regrets. Do you have either of these two?

1)Game I wanted to get but didn't.  I wanted to take advantage of the Tiller sale (a rare event) by getting  a Panzer Battles games, probably the newer one set in North Africa. I screwed up thinking their sale ran like the Matrix sale into January. When I went to make the purchase it was no longer on sale. A lost opportunity.

2) Game I got on sale but now wish I hadn't. Interstellar Space Genesis...after 7 hours of gameplay I realized this was just another iteration of many games I already have; i.e. Master of Orion, Stellaris, Stars in Shadow, Polaris Sector, Endless Space, etc.  It's a decently good 4X space game but nothing better than what I already have.

I did not experience option 1 above however I totally agree with you on option 2.  I did however get ISG a while ago, not during this past Steam sale, and really like the game.  It's fun but got bored of it quickly as I too have MOO, Stellaris, Stars in Shadow, Polaris Sector, Endless Space 1 and 2, and many more.  Space Empires IV and V.  I could go on and on.  Bottom line is that ISG is not really that different from what I already have. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Yskonyn

Interesting remark about ISG. Wasn't that the whole sales pitch all along? Taking what's good in past games and make it a classic 4x game but with better, more fun, gameplay elements?
Do you conclude they failed and its just standard fare 4x?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Anguille

I agree mostly, ISG is a good game but doesn't bring enough new things. The support however is great and they still have plenty of ideas (races, graphic updates etc.). I am also one of the space 4x nerds.

1) i have all the games i want for now. No regrets.

2) Not really a regret, but i bought by accident Unity of Command 2...it was on my wishlist but it's not the game i want to play right now. It took me also a while before i played the first one to the end.

Jarhead0331

No regerts here. My trick is to buy so much crap that I actually don't remember what I bought. If you can't remember what you got,  there can be no regerts. Easy peasy.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mbar

Anguille

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 15, 2020, 07:38:45 AM
No regerts here. My trick is to buy so much crap that I actually don't remember what I bought. If you can't remember what you got,  there can be no regerts. Easy peasy.
That's a good trick!

Sir Slash

Spock would say, "Logical. Twisted, but logical".
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Steelgrave

As evidenced by the number of times we have ALL gone to buy a game on Steam....only to discover we already own it  :uglystupid2:

Tripoli

Quote from: Steelgrave on January 16, 2020, 01:45:12 PM
As evidenced by the number of times we have ALL gone to buy a game on Steam....only to discover we already own it  :uglystupid2:

This sounds like the beginnings of a metaphysical discussion: If you purchase something, but dont recall it, did you really purchase it?   :)
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Martok

No real regrets here.  I'm content with the few purchases I made. 

There were a few games I would've liked to have picked up, but still held off on anyway.  Something I've started doing the last several years is to force myself to honestly answer the question "How likely am I to actually play this game sometime in the next year?", and then compare/contrast to how much I'd be paying for it at the time.  If I end up admitting (if only to myself) that I probably won't play said game anytime soon, then I'll wait for a sale next year...at which point it will probably be even cheaper, and/or more fully patched/polished. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

airboy

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 15, 2020, 07:38:45 AM

:DD

airboy

I'm impressed that you have played all of your Holiday Purchases.

Strike that: I'm amazed that you have played all of your purchases.

I have not played/read everything I bought in 2018 Holiday sales - much less 2019.

Sir Slash

Our passion is either a curse or a blessing depending on how you look at it. Same as marriage I suppose.