The "Holy %$%# It's Hot Out There" Summer 2018 Thread

Started by bayonetbrant, April 02, 2018, 07:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

The closest I ever came to a tornado before this week was an F1 in Albuquerque of all places and I was terrified. I actually saw the funnel cloud move between buildings downtown there while driving - never saw anything like that before or since. Poop inducing fear.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

I saw one while I was driving through either North Haven or Hamden on the Merritt/Wilbur Cross Parkway back in 1989. All I could think was  "Please don't let it see me... please don't let it see me... :o"
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Sir Slash

Years back, I was in Memphis with an old girlfriend going to see Graceland. We were staying at a hotel close by when a big-ass tornado hit less than a mile away from us. It got dark out like midnight and scared the shit outta me! But the Ghost of The King watched over us and we weren't touched. I said, "Thank-you. Thank-you very much".  :clap:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

trailrunner

The DC area set a record with seven straight days with at least 0.25 inches of rain each day.  Indeed, it was a pretty soggy week. 

And then this morning something strange happened: a round object appeared in the sky, bringing light.  Rumors says it's something called the sun. 

Seriously, my run this morning was warm and completely humid.  Summer's back.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Quote from: Staggerwing on May 18, 2018, 08:57:08 PM
I saw one while I was driving through either North Haven or Hamden on the Merritt/Wilbur Cross Parkway back in 1989. All I could think was  "Please don't let it see me... please don't let it see me... :o"

(That one Gus saw between the buildings in Albuquerque sounded shivery, too.)

Despite my close calls, I've never seen a funnel actually on the ground. I've seen them in the air a few more times than those stories, though. Drove under one coming back from the golf course with Dad.  I guess the funniest one (so to speak) was the funnel I followed on I-40 (in Tennessee, going east to Knoxville) to Cracker Barrel! It was just a grey overcast day, but I could see this shape up in the sky at about 10-o'clock high, hard to say how far away maybe half a mile, over the trees and road-ridgeline to the north. I almost couldn't watch the interstate for trying to figure out what it was or wasn't: it looked for all the world like a tornado funnel, and shifted size and (somewhat) shape regularly. But none of the clouds looked up for a tornado. Just featureless grey overcast, almost no cloud definition. But then again that's why I could definitely see it up there!

This went on for twenty miles or so, and eventually I pulled off to go eat at a Cracker Barrel, north of the road so I wondered jokingly if it had passed over them. I told the waitress what I had been seeing, and she answered (a little freaked out) that the radio had said there was a radar-indicated funnel in the air nearby but she hadn't thought it was that close or that the clouds were right for one!

A few years ago a very thin F2 went across the field behind our factory, but we weren't there -- we had packed up the guys and taken them to a brick church with an underground level. (Not really the best idea, but tons better than in our factory.) Our church has a sort of L-shaped concrete trench around part of it, covered over -- why, I have no idea, but it'd be pretty great for rifle defense! -- and the guys were spending their time going back and forth between the relative safety of that, and the far-back door of the church (not safe at all) looking for the funnel. We never did quite see it (despite it being less than half a mile away when it passed by), but from the trench we could see this tiny stuff flying around way up in the air, which we figured were branches or other debris. Suddenly one of the little specks looped out of the flock and with a few jinks and janks BWAAMMM! slammed down within fifty feet, between the trench and the family-center building.

It was one of the main roof panels of my uncle's large warehouse across the highway, near the factory. It took a direct hit, ripped off most of the roof, gave us one of the pieces back! Made all the guys (myself included) jump hard when it whammed down! -- but it had still been thrown around so high it was just a speck.

We went back into the church for a few minutes after that. Rather quickly.  :2funny:

(The factory took a direct hit from an F1 a year or two later, punched one of our walls out, blew in one or two of the roll-up doors. That happened at night, and we found the damage the next morning.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

I hesitate here but...what do you make in your factory?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

mmm, let's see, send you to the old site or the new one still under construction... I'll try the new one.

http://dyerfiberglass.blogspot.com/

Many of the links still go to the old site material, some of which are broken.  :buck2: Been busy on other things, haven't caught up with new material here yet. Another of many cats to be juggling!  :D

The short version is, molded and custom fiberglass enclosures for the water and wastewater industry. (Mostly for municipalities.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Gusington

^I never would have guessed that! I worked for a water/wastewater consulting company from 2006-2011 before working for the gub'mint.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on May 20, 2018, 01:09:58 PM
^I never would have guessed that! I worked for a water/wastewater consulting company from 2006-2011 before working for the gub'mint.

Which one? I might have heard of it!

(I mean company; I assume I've heard of whichever government you work for.  :coolsmiley: )

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Barthheart

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Barthheart