Gary Sheffield
Lee Smith
Sammy Sosa
Mike Sweeney
Alan Trammell
Billy Wagner
Larry Walker
Randy Winn
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

My picks (remember, you're capped at 10)

Jeff Bagwell
Ken Griffey Jr.
Trevor Hoffman
Edgar Martinez
Mike Mussina
Mike Piazza
Tim Raines
Curt Schilling
Lee Smith
Larry Walker

How Raines, Walker, Bagwell, and Piazza aren't in is just mystifying.  It's Hoffman & Jr's first year, so they'll go in quick.

guys I'd vote on next year's ballot after some of these get in
Nomar Garciaparra
Fred McGriff
Gary Sheffield

I don't think McGriff and Sheff get the credit they deserve for being truly fearsome mashers in an era when the hitting stats are all inflated by the steroidians.  Nomar goes in after Edgar gets in.  I'd be fine with either Moose or Schilling getting in this year, and another next year.

with an extra set-aside for the steroid guys...
Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Mark McGwire
Sammy Sosa
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

Jeff Bagwell
Ken Griffey Jr.
Trevor Hoffman
Edgar Martinez
Mike Mussina
Mike Piazza
Tim Raines
Gary Sheffield
Lee Smith
Larry Walker

These guys would be on my ballot.  Although, I seem to remember Shef was a steroid guy.  If that's the case......Jeff Kent?  Those three Angels, Anderson, Edmonds, and Glaus all cancel each other.  Schilling was a really good pitcher who shone on the brightest stage.  Twice.  I just wouldn't vote for him.  Could be my bloody sock bias  O:-)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Arctic Blast

Tim Raines
Jeff Bagwell
Mike Piazza
Ken Griffey Jr.
Trevor Hoffman
Edgar Martinez
Gary Sheffield
Mike Mussina
Fred McGriff
Jeff Kent

Of the known roid crew, I'd toss my vote at Bonds. That guy was a beast BEFORE the doping when he was still a skinny little twig. Same goes for Clemens.

Bison

Garret Anderson
Brad Ausmus
Jeff Bagwell
Barry Bonds
Luis Castillo
Roger Clemens
David Eckstein
Jim Edmonds
Nomar Garciaparra
Troy Glaus
Ken Griffey Jr.
Mark Grudzielanek
Mike Hampton
Trevor Hoffman
Jason Kendall
Jeff Kent
Mike Lowell
Edgar Martinez
Fred McGriff
Mark McGwire
Mike Mussina
Mike Piazza
Tim Raines
Curt Schilling
Gary Sheffield
Lee Smith
Sammy Sosa
Mike Sweeney
Alan Trammell
Billy Wagner
Larry Walker
Randy Winn

MetalDog

I really have no problem with any one on your list except Trammell.  He was a good hit, fast, on base guy.  But HoF?  I wouldn't vote for him.

Bison

Quote from: MetalDog on November 11, 2015, 09:49:25 PM
I really have no problem with any one on your list except Trammell.  He was a good hit, fast, on base guy.  But HoF?  I wouldn't vote for him.

He is one of the best defensive SS of all time and he put up very good numbers for SS of his era from the plate.  It's like you aren't a real American or something. :'(

MetalDog

Oh stop.  Not liking Trammell has nothing to do with not being American :P  He won 4 Gold Gloves in an almost 20 year career.  That's not elite defensive production.  He scored over a hundred runs three times and eighty three or four more.  Then it's a bunch of 40's, 50's, and 60's.  He could smack a double and had a year or two for homers, but, not Hall worthy, I don't think.  Look for yourself.

http://m.mlb.com/player/123437/alan-trammell

Bison

Pfft...

Player X Career  BA .262, HR 69 RBI 793 .978 fielding percentage  (HOF Player guess who?)
Trammel Career BA .285, HR 185, RBI 1003, .977 field percentage

MetalDog

What I'd really like to see is a position comparison by era.  I think that's where the HoF debate breaks down.  Strictly by numbers, Trammell doesn't have it, but, who else in his era was comparable?  Ripken was his contemporary.  Ozzie Smith was, too.  Both were better than him and Oz played the same type of game.  Good hit, fast, but, his 13 consecutive Gold Gloves puts him way above Trammell.

Bison

Ozzy Smith is the stat line is Player X.   Ripken didn't play SS his entire career.  He shifted to 3erd Base and SS is arguably a harder position to play a consistently high level for 20 years.

Bison

Jeter stat line - BA .305, HR 260, RBI 1311 Field% 976

Trammel is much closer to Jeter in just numbers.  Jeter only won 5 Gold Gloves.  And considering the era differences.  I think Trammel stacks up pretty danged good.

Bison

Ripken BA .276, HR 431, RBI 1695 Field% .977.  Ripken is one of the all time greats and he only won 2 gold gloves.

MetalDog

Jeets has more stolen bases, double the homers and was a clutch performer and vital cog in multiple World Series runs.  Trammell can't match that.  Best thing I can say is join the BBWA and get a vote.  Then you can throw your vote away on whoever you want ;)

Bison

260 isn't double of 185 that'd be 370.  Elephant math.    Trammel was the MVP of the Tigers 1984 World Series.