Main Menu

Exercise Habits

Started by Bison, July 31, 2012, 01:59:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arctic Blast

^^Whey protein isolate is your friend.

Keunert

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Gusington

^Hopefully Star won't answer that.

I have been running 5k, 5 times a week for 18 months and lost between 15 and 20 pounds. I am going to start doing some rowing and some light weights to get back some mass because running really does cause some serious loss...my arms are like twigs now.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Keunert on April 17, 2014, 02:42:36 PM
what is this?

Basically, I'm talking about protein powder. Mix it into whatever you eat/drink after working out and there's your protein.

GDS_Starfury

actually I could really benefit from a good protein shake in the morning or evening.  my job is pretty aerobic as it is and I eat like a horse.  food has been the biggest monthly expense my entire adult life.  not only that but, I no matter what I do I cant break the 180 lb barrier and put on muscle weight.  its the only weight I can put on as I have an absurdly low body fat index and I have a hyper metabolism.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

airboy

I've been going to the gym regularly (2-4 times a week) doing weight lifting (machines) and walking on an indoor track.  I've been doing this for three months now.

My back is a lot better.  I was in almost daily back pain and almost all has vanished.  My stress levels are way down - despite some severe external stress factors.

I was not aiming to lose weight.  But my muscle ratio has gone way up. 

I'm very type A and have a desk job.  So this is pretty much the only exercise I get.  Especially when it is too hot in Bama in the summer to walk outside much.

My gym has all of my routine on a computer setup.  Thus the total weight lifted is given at the end of each workout.  I've gone from around 11,000 pounds to almost 19,000 pounds per workout.  This seems like a whole lot - but it really is not.  My circuit is 9 machines.  On the leg press I do 155 x 3 sets x 12 reps per set = 5,580 pounds.  In contrast, on curls I'm doing 35 pounds x 3 sets x 12 reps per set = 1,260 pounds.

One thing I have noticed (again) is how many people lift weights in a manner that minimizes the usefulness of the routine.  I've seen somebody do a "12 rep set" where they jerk the weights on a leg curl 4 times really fast.  Then stop for 15 seconds.  Then another 4 really fast.......  They are letting the momentum do most of the work.  I've also seen a lot of people really jerk weights with their entire body when they are supposedly exercising specific muscle groups.  Both of these activities get you a lot less benefit while greatly increasing the chance of injury.  The machines at my gym tell you when you are going to fast, when you let the weights rest, etc......

GDS_Starfury

I just bench Gus 20 times.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GJK

I benched 405 the other day.  I hadn't done that in years.  Squats are consistent at 500lbs with strict form or a cheat squat at 545.  I stopped deadlifting but will dont bent over, reverse grip rows with 365.  I'm also running 4 miles in the morning, 3 or 4 mornings a week.

I've gone through a bit of burnout the past 2 weeks however, doing more running than weight lifting but I'm hoping to get some motivation back with a solid workout tonight.

The biggest things that helped me...dropping all the fun things in life....no drinking and I don't sit at the computer for hours after work like I was doing a year or so ago.

How do I feel?  Tired.   :2funny: ... seriously, I feel great and have had to purchase a new wardrobe twice now.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer