The "Uber" Command: Modern Air/Naval Ops Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 19, 2012, 03:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 18, 2017, 08:20:59 AM
Are the new features for this standalone DLC included in a free patch? I don't particularly care for the campaign and scenarios, but the new features are very interesting. Not sure they are worth $20 to me, though...

I don't think so....
My Steam version updated yesterday and provided a list of things like "laser weapons", "disrupted communications", "aircraft damage", etc. after each it said "available only with 'Chains of War'"
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

RyanE

I think any time you add features that need an upgrade to use, it becomes messy.  The only solution is to start seperating into games and not DLC.  Which has its own issues.  Its not much different than BFC's upgrade policy.  In fact, that might have been a better solution. 

The issue that guy is dealing with is different.  He went and built a scenario on a beta build that had a warning on it about the new features.  Several people complained about it and the simple solution is don't build scenarios on beta builds without back ups.  I really hope the devs don't reward bad behavior by stopping beta releases of updates.  That would be the "unmessy" way of doing it.

Jarhead0331

I'm not faulting the developer for charging for engine updates and new content. Totally reasonable. I just need to make a judgment call if the engine upgrades and additional features are worth $20. In all reality, they are features I will rarely, if ever use, but I enjoy having a complete, up-to-date product...it helps me sleep better at night.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mikeck

That, and you may see a user scenario you REALLY want to play but it requires something only Chains of War has...maybe an EMP pulse detonation or some such. Maybe a piece of kit or whatever. Don't want tomiss out on your dream scenario because you don't have one component
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Pete Dero

Quote from: mikeck on May 18, 2017, 01:50:34 PM
That, and you may see a user scenario you REALLY want to play but it requires something only Chains of War has...maybe an EMP pulse detonation or some such. Maybe a piece of kit or whatever. Don't want tomiss out on your dream scenario because you don't have one component

Couldn't you go to the editor and edit the one component out (if you know what you are looking for) ?

RyanE

I don't think so.  Can run the game in the editor so I would think it would be hard for the devs to work around that.  I think its more like BFC and CM.  They don't give you access to the scenario if you don't own the features.

RyanE

I do have to wonder what makes some want to deal with the general public after they get a defense contract.  Look at this posts on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/400225503448206/permalink/1311313579006056/

While these devs have had a few missteps and aren't the best PR guys around, they have done enough for their community without asking for money that they really don't deserve this kind of stuff.  Its like people are just waiting for a screw up.

Capn Darwin

<:-) break out the popcorn and soda, here we go again.  :hide:
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

mikeck

Quote from: Pete Dero on May 18, 2017, 02:12:42 PM
Quote from: mikeck on May 18, 2017, 01:50:34 PM

Couldn't you go to the editor and edit the one component out (if you know what you are looking for) ?

Of course.... or you could just drop 20 bucks and not worry about it

MikeGER

...sooner or later there will be a sale for that DLC

i would have preferred in addition a separate 5 bucks for a features-only-update, or something 

i find that  Cargo / landing / airdrop operations feature might be interesting to test out for own little test scenarios and playing around with editor in a wider time frame beyond near future.

RyanE

Funny, they got accused of nickel and dime-ing with the release of single scenarios.  Hate to imagine what would happen for single features.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: RyanE on May 18, 2017, 04:59:55 PM
Funny, they got accused of nickel and dime-ing with the release of single scenarios.  Hate to imagine what would happen for single features.

They would be accused of the same thing.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

RyanE

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 18, 2017, 05:16:51 PM
Quote from: RyanE on May 18, 2017, 04:59:55 PM

They would be accused of the same thing.

Actually thought it might be more severe than that.  Considering what they have been accused of in just releasing features as an add on.

Kushan

PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play