Snow Terrain Mat

Started by RooksBailey, November 16, 2013, 11:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RooksBailey

Can someone recommend a place to get a snow-themed terrain mat?  I have a 4'x4' gaming table that is currently covered in some very old and faded grass paper and I would like to cover it up with a snow theme.  Any recommendations?  I'm in the States, so a domestic supplier would be preferable. 

Thanks!
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

GJK

Buying enough white felt to cover a 4x4 would get a bit costly from what I just googled.  How about going to a local Walmart or fabric shop to see if you can get some cheap, near or off-white fabric to lay over the table?

My downstairs gaming tables that I use for mini's are already white, so personally, I'd just go with the tablettop for any snow scenarios.  You may not have that option however.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

RooksBailey

Quote from: GJK on November 17, 2013, 12:47:50 AM
Buying enough white felt to cover a 4x4 would get a bit costly from what I just googled.  How about going to a local Walmart or fabric shop to see if you can get some cheap, near or off-white fabric to lay over the table?

My downstairs gaming tables that I use for mini's are already white, so personally, I'd just go with the tablettop for any snow scenarios.  You may not have that option however.

Those are some good ideas.  I'll have to explore some options like painting the table or looking for fabric. 
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

GDS_Starfury

white crushed velvet seems to look good and not be expensive.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Staggerwing

What about polyester batting used in sewing? If you get the very thin kind it might work.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

RooksBailey

All good ideas, guys.  Thanks!  I have to start training my brain to think less like a "spoon feed me" PC gamer and more like a scrappy miniatures enthusiast.   :)  I think I am going to go with GJK's idea of painting the table.  ONE side is covered with grass paper, but the other is just raw plywood.  Why not just paint the underside white?  Then I have a two sided table!   :D 

GJK

Sounds like a perfect solution; easy and cheap and effective.  ;)
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

GDS_Starfury

when you get to making elevated terrain call this guy, he makes the best mountains:

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

RooksBailey

LOL! 

Finished painting the table.  Now I just need to finish painting the last of my minis for the first Tomorrow's War tutorial scenario. 

I see the tutorial on mechanized warfare comes next.  I think I might try a set of paper minis like these:  http://www.wargamevault.com/product/17655/Ice-%26-Sand-Tank-Pak?it=1

I've been browsing through these paper minis and I am really impressed by the selection.  It won't ever replace having actual minis but they do make for a cheap way to fill out a force, not to mention saving a lot of time when you just want to get some units on a board.

GJK

Let me know what you think of the mechanics of Tomorrow's War.  Me and my son have played a bit of its sister game, Force on Force and I like it for the most part but we have found that it needed some house rules to satisfy our needs for the game. 
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

RooksBailey

Quote from: GJK on November 20, 2013, 06:50:37 AM
Let me know what you think of the mechanics of Tomorrow's War.  Me and my son have played a bit of its sister game, Force on Force and I like it for the most part but we have found that it needed some house rules to satisfy our needs for the game.

Will do.  I am still working my way through the infantry combat rules.  Seems a bit dicey at times but I won't know for sure until I do an actual play-through.