Afrika Korps by SGS

Started by Boggit, October 31, 2020, 03:55:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philthib

Quote from: MengJiao on November 12, 2020, 08:23:21 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on November 12, 2020, 07:47:34 PM
Waiting on comments.  :notworthy:

I like it, but then I will play almost anything with Tobruk in it.  Naturally, I like it better than their Winter War -- but that was definitely a good game and anyway for 20 bucks -- how can you go wrong?

Okay....well you can go wrong.  I even tried last summer in writing some games in the system (WAW wars across the world) that underlies this game and well when things go bad it all turns French and I took Crete ( a mistake somewhere there since I thought Greece held Crete in 1940 and I'm the Imperial forces with Commonwealth assistance) and I hit "Le Niveau de Reddition" which might be French for Level of Perdition...but anyway there are some serious bugs in Operation E.

This is a rather surprising issue, as the Crete card (operation Merkur, the German airborne assault) is not listed in the scenario, nor assigned to any of the sides decks. So if you were able to draw it, it may be a rare engine bug that we are currently investigating.

Can you also explain what is the issue you have with the Churchill Meddles card? I am not sure to understand it: do you mean your Axis units have vanished? Because that card effect is simple: the allies can't play cards on their next turn...so what you seem to have is a totally unplanned effect

We are checking this out right now. I guess that would be helpful you send us a save of the situation. Send it to: support@avalon-digital.com

Philthib

Quote from: Boggit on November 14, 2020, 05:19:22 AM
FWIW, I've played a couple of scenarios and I'm of the opinion that it is fun and enjoyable. My main gripe is the lack of a grand campaign, but who knows that may (or may not) make an appearance in a future update.

A bit surprised  here, no GC. Well, there is one, called Afrika Korps 1941, 42 turns of 2 weeks each. If by Grand Campaign you mean something starting with only the Italians in 1940, we have decided NOT to include it for now, because there was a real difficulty to represent the Italian conduct of their initial offensives and, in turn, Operation Compass to succeed (or even occur) against a competent Axis player... It's in the books, but for now needs more playtesting

Philthib

Quote from: Boggit on November 14, 2020, 05:25:47 AM
@Mengjiao and 88mm

The good news is that Philippe Thibaut and Kevin Buster (both of Avalon Digital) may be soon engaging with the thread once the competition gets started and that will be a perfect opportunity to raise any questions/concerns with the game engine bugs etc. I have been in contact with both for several years now and they are both nice guys, very approachable and will listen to constructive criticism.

I am here  C:-)

Boggit

I have received the Steam keys for the competitors and am sending them by DM. Check your inboxes.

Let loose the Dogs of War! :knuppel2:

If MC and 88mm can confirm their interest, then we can match you both and get your Steam keys.

Just to confirm the line up for round one (remembering that this round consists of the first three scenarios, alternating axis/allies) is...

Millipede (Axis, Allies, Axis) vs Shelldrake (Allies, Axis, Allies)

Tripoli (Axis, Allies, Axis) vs Nelmsm (Allies, Axis, Allies)

MC (TBC) vs TBC (88mm?)

Good luck and have fun.  O0

BTW feel free to post AARs, moments of glory etc. :)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

Quote from: Philthib on November 14, 2020, 06:07:00 AM
Quote from: Boggit on November 14, 2020, 05:19:22 AM
FWIW, I've played a couple of scenarios and I'm of the opinion that it is fun and enjoyable. My main gripe is the lack of a grand campaign, but who knows that may (or may not) make an appearance in a future update.

A bit surprised  here, no GC. Well, there is one, called Afrika Korps 1941, 42 turns of 2 weeks each. If by Grand Campaign you mean something starting with only the Italians in 1940, we have decided NOT to include it for now, because there was a real difficulty to represent the Italian conduct of their initial offensives and, in turn, Operation Compass to succeed (or even occur) against a competent Axis player... It's in the books, but for now needs more playtesting
I did mean one starting with the Italians in 1940. I'm glad you are still considering the option.

Perhaps if the Italians lose badly and Tripoli is captured that might operate a sudden death condition, or if Alexandria is threatened then troops from India, Ethiopia, Far East or elsewhere get withdrawn with a heavy cost in VP's to defend the ME oilfields threatened by the risk of losing Egypt...?? Anyway, just a bit of food for thought. Thanks for the reply BTW. :)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

MengJiao

Quote from: Philthib on November 14, 2020, 05:58:48 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on November 12, 2020, 08:23:21 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on November 12, 2020, 07:47:34 PM
Waiting on comments.  :notworthy:

I like it, but then I will play almost anything with Tobruk in it.  Naturally, I like it better than their Winter War -- but that was definitely a good game and anyway for 20 bucks -- how can you go wrong?

Okay....well you can go wrong.  I even tried last summer in writing some games in the system (WAW wars across the world) that underlies this game and well when things go bad it all turns French and I took Crete ( a mistake somewhere there since I thought Greece held Crete in 1940 and I'm the Imperial forces with Commonwealth assistance) and I hit "Le Niveau de Reddition" which might be French for Level of Perdition...but anyway there are some serious bugs in Operation E.

This is a rather surprising issue, as the Crete card (operation Merkur, the German airborne assault) is not listed in the scenario, nor assigned to any of the sides decks. So if you were able to draw it, it may be a rare engine bug that we are currently investigating.

Can you also explain what is the issue you have with the Churchill Meddles card? I am not sure to understand it: do you mean your Axis units have vanished? Because that card effect is simple: the allies can't play cards on their next turn...so what you seem to have is a totally unplanned effect

We are checking this out right now. I guess that would be helpful you send us a save of the situation. Send it to: support@avalon-digital.com

Sorry about my misunderstandings (particularly of the Churchill meddles card -- there is no problem there)...I've worked with the WAW engine so I know the cards can have some unexpected interactions so I'm not worried about whether you can fix those bugs or not because I'm sure you can.  The Italians on Crete thing was possibly a map problem as may be the Gulf of Taranto turning up in Cyrenica unless it is a period joke or something.  I know the map problems can be very odd.  The crete bug dropped me all the way to a WAW "niveau de Reddition" screen so that was quite odd.  Oh and the Churchill meddles thing was simply that the Axis did nothing observable on the next turn while the Imperial forces and their Allies seemed Okay.  ie I think there is no problem there at all.

Philthib

Good to hear overall. In all cases if you happen to face any suspicious issue, send me an email

88mmkwk

@Boggit -

I unfortunately did not see this thread until today.  I am most definitely interested.  I have watched several YouTube videos of the game and perused the rules and so could be perhaps far enough along to be able to jump in if it is not too late.  Homebound on medical leave for a while so I have the time to play.

Just let me know and I fully understand if I am too late to the party.  I'll send a PM to you also....
Gaming Rig:
HP Spectre x360 Convertible Laptop w/Pen Support
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz w/16GB RAM
HP Omen Thunderbolt 3 External GPU/Storage Chassis with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti and 1TB SSD
27" Dell S2716DG 144Hz 1440p with GSync at 2560x1440

-----------------------------------
"Still here and alive. On kindlenso thisnwill be short.  Of wtf.
Day 3 to.borrow.  weather is bad.  Had first fall; good call on gloves.  Heavy rain tomorrow.ngut check.  Inshall prevail.  Jesus thisnisnworse than a drunk post.  F you kindle."        - Toonces

demjansk1942

Boggit

@ 88mmkwk and demjansk1942

Hi guys,

I've been offline for a few days and just seen this. I'll contact Philippe and send the keys to you directly I receive them.

You'll be playing each other in the first round three scenarios...

Demyansk Axis/Allies/Axis 88mm Allies/Axis/Allies

Good luck and have fun! :)

MC

Did I fall off the list? I posted in the sign-up thread since that would seem appropriate but the action appears to be here. Maybe I'm just extremely confused.  :crazy2:

Boggit

Quote from: MC on November 18, 2020, 12:03:19 PM
Did I fall off the list? I posted in the sign-up thread since that would seem appropriate but the action appears to be here. Maybe I'm just extremely confused.  :crazy2:
No, I was looking at the wrong thread and saw you later. Hang in there Bud, at Grogheads we leave no one behind! (or at least try not to  :pullhair:)

Philippe is out of the office and I was lucky to get two more codes fro 88 and Demyansk. I have sent Philippe another mail asking for a key for you. The bigger problem I have is finding you an opponent, but don't give up as I have a "cunning plan" or two.

88mmkwk

@Phillippe - where/how would you like game feedback submitted?  In this thread?  Or via personal message?

I'll submit my first input here in case someone needs to blow me out of the water on it...

Game Manual

1) Colorful with lots of examples.  Seems quite complete and I quite like the look and feel.
2) Index:  The index is at the very back, and I would suggest moving it to the front after the cover page.  As a reference guide, I find it easier to load the PDF and quickly get to the index to look for what I want.  But there's an easy solution to this listed below in #3.
3)  PDF Bookmarks:  As the manual is a PDF, please consider using PDF bookmarks for the various sections listed in the index.  Why?  In most (if not all) PDF readers (I personally use and highly recommend PDF-Xchange Editor), a user can open a bookmark navigation panel on the left and have a reading panel on the right.  This lets me navigate topics on the left and immediately see the content in the right.  Most editing software will allow you to set the bookmarks to map to a document Style when writing documentation, and then the Index via Bookmarks is automatically updated.  This allows you to quickly move around sections of the documentation and re-arrange/update/edit as needed without having to update the bookmarks manually.
4)  Pg 108 Index Sequence:  While on the topic of indexes, the lettering and numbering sequence on the Index starting on page 108 is a bit wonky with multiple duplicates of letters and sections that should be "outdented" as new sections.  See page 109 "XI - Playing Cards" as an example.  Multiple Letter A sections, and several need to be numeric-numbered sections instead.  Of course, suggestion #3 above would help with spotting when this occurs!  ;)

I'm reading though the manual now, so wanted to submit this before I forget.  Hopefully you can consider the above feedback...
Gaming Rig:
HP Omen Thunderbolt 3 External GPU/Storage Chassis with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti and 1TB SSD

Day 3 to.borrow.  weather is bad.  Had first fall; good call on gloves.  Heavy rain tomorrow.ngut check.  Inshall prevail.  Jesus thisnisnworse than a drunk post.  F you kindle."        - Toonces

JasonPratt

Did 88mm get matched against MC?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

88mmkwk

@Jason -

I am matched against demjansk1942, and so you should let Boggit know you are interested in matching against MC in round 1.  MC still needs an opponent for round 1....

The more the merrier!
Gaming Rig: