Total Tank Generals, by the creators of TTS, Panzer General reimagined

Started by The_Admiral, September 30, 2022, 06:28:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Admiral

Made by the creator of Total Tank Simulator, so obviously they know their trade & they have a very nice, modern, friendly artstyle that has worked wonders with their previous game. Had a small word with the designer on Twitter, guy said that it was his dream since his youth to make his own interpretation of Panzer General. Obviously, sounds like the only logical explanation to go for a wargame after a smashing success like TTS, but one can say he certainly doesn't do things

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1770050

Sherman has made a video. Obviously, there are PanzerCorps 2 vibes, but I find the combat system interesting (stacking is allowed within the same hex, combat ranges are much longer too or so it feels) and the production value is great.

Destraex

I don't think I could play this when combat mission, close combat & Steel Division 2 exist. I know some find this sort of "board game" relaxing though.
I am guessing this is a single player game? 
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Grim.Reaper

Single player...developer said May look into multiplayer later depending on the demand

Destraex

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 02, 2022, 08:48:45 PM
Single player...developer said May look into multiplayer later depending on the demand

I think I would consider playing a game like this if it was combat mission with AAA title graphics and animations. I imagine a combat mission WEGO physics game that has photo realistic terrain and amazing 3D animations of crews and machines. Instead we get "this is a single AT gun 3D model in a hex" now just imagine that whole square has everything else and watch the stats fly. It's just a little counter intuitive to me in 2022. I'd like it to be easier for devs to put more visual detail and correlating unit actions into their games even if they are HEX based.

The_Admiral

Well, considering the raving numbers of players Panzer Corps 2 has, it is still a genre in 2022 for sure, and a working one at that  :coolsmiley:

I am actually rather interested in seeing how it plays. Ain't no unity of command for sure as far as mechanics are concerned, but it's still a bit above PC2 too in terms of complexity. We'll see. The free demo will be available from today, so ain't nobody taking any risk here, see for yourself  ^-^

Destraex

Quote from: The_Admiral on October 03, 2022, 01:12:55 AM
Well, considering the raving numbers of players Panzer Corps 2 has, it is still a genre in 2022 for sure, and a working one at that  :coolsmiley:

I am actually rather interested in seeing how it plays. Ain't no unity of command for sure as far as mechanics are concerned, but it's still a bit above PC2 too in terms of complexity. We'll see. The free demo will be available from today, so ain't nobody taking any risk here, see for yourself  ^-^
Sure there is a market for it. Just like their is a market for hollywood remakes albeit they are generally never as good. Just personally I like things to advance so that I get to play with something new. Resting on laurels and all that... you know.

FarAway Sooner

I'd be lying if I said I'd played every incarnation of those games.  But I do find the introduction of numerous innovations in the mechanics to make it feel like a much more nuanced game.  Offering players an Overwatch mechanic, an Assault mechanic, branching skill trees for individual units, and a "stacking limit of 3 per hex" make it very fresh.  The whole "infantry shoots 1 hex, vehicles shoot 2 hexes, and anti-tank guns shoot 3 hexes" mechanic also adds a level of complexity to it that the previous games didn't have.

At first glance, it still suffers from the "Puzzle Game" phenomenon that defined the very first Panzer General game and continues to this day.  You play once to find out which enemy units are where, and then carefully craft a force of units and advances to solve the game in the fewest turns possible.  If you still find that formula engaging, I think this will be an excellent addition.

I only have two real complaints with the play from the demo scenario.  First, I find that tank units in towns feel OP as defenders, compared to even very well entrenched infantry.  While infantry gets a bonus that tanks do not for fighting in "Close" territory, the tanks feel OP.  Second, while I understand the "% chance you hit" as one check and the "damage if you hit" done as a second check, for the most important attacks (think of those full-strength tank units defending city objective hexes) you too often end up at the mercy of RNGesus for the "Do I hit?" check.  It spoils the immersion when my anti-tank gun has only a 60% chance of hitting a tank but will do 5-7 hit points of damage if it hits.

The game looks interesting.  It'll be worth following.

JasonPratt

I feel pretty sure I'll be picking this up upon release: I'm a sucker for PG games (though I haven't pulled the trigger on PzCrp2 yet. Its campaigns have been getting some dire reviews quite steadily since release!)

While the recent Strategic Mind games remind me of an upgraded Panzer General engine married to a 3D action map (very similar to the Fantasy Wars/Elven Legacy system which was originally meant to remake Fantasy General), this seems to me more like doing the same thing with John Tiller's Campaign Series (now being excellently revived by Crossroads and his team of course.  O0 )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!