Falcon Northwest vs. Alienware vs. NewEgg

Started by Gusington, November 19, 2020, 02:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

It's funny Gus as I was going to bet that you don't end up purchasing anything on Friday:)

You have to prove me wrong...eagerly watching:)

WYBaugh

Quote from: Father Ted on November 25, 2020, 10:14:40 AM
Quote from: trek on November 25, 2020, 09:13:28 AM

I am worried about my mental well-being right now because the most exciting thing I'm looking forward to about Friday is finally finding out which PC rig Gus is going to buy. Seems like we should be able to set up a "Let's Make a Deal" game show type presentation with the question: "Is it Door Number 1, 2 or 3?"

There could be a cliff-hanger...

I'm invested now too

Gusington

You're all killing me. I don't need this added pressure! :)

Anyway I was just perusing the sales again while eating lunch and prices on monitors, on Amazon here in the US at least, are silly low even right now. There's a company called Sceptre that I have never heard of until today selling 30" and 35" 4k monitors for 300 and 400 dollars, respectively.

When it comes to monitors, I am a loyal Acer customer as I have 3 in the house right now that have never given me an issue, so I am going to get an Acer Predator...but still, 300/400 for a 4k monitor is just ridiculous.

All that to say - I think I will be fine on Black Friday, no need to wait.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

I totally forgot about Cyber Monday being a thing now, and thus possibly affecting the deals you could get from your rig, Gus! -- but this time of year, you might be better off going for Black Friday for timing sake anyway.

Quote from: Yskonyn on November 24, 2020, 05:27:37 PM
Coming back on topic; when I read through this thread I reach my elastic boundary's hard limit in terms of pricing in relation to the subject.
I can get vocal about it, but it comes from a good heart. I just have a hard time accepting you actually might WANT to pay premium for it.

Yep, totally understand, and I appreciate JH, too, trying to help by offering cash-saving options. To which I will add that I would never recommend paying anything (much less premium pricing) for cachet value -- there's a reason why the PC MASTER RACE meme uses something that looks like a MachV, after all! -- nor for the less egotist value of simply feeling pleasure about paying for luxury. I would have avoided the fancy paint on my desktop-replacement laptop all those years ago, too, if I had been given an option. (Though I think the resulting story is very funny, and naturally it still looks sharp so I've been glad to enjoy that aesthetically. But my other two Falcons have been completely boring looking, and I don't care in the slightest.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Father Ted

Quote from: Gusington on November 25, 2020, 02:58:17 PM
You're all killing me. I don't need this added pressure! :)

Man, you chose the celebrity lifestyle.

JasonPratt

He didn't choose the G life, though. That chose him!  >:D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

...and I have this HP Omen in my NewEgg shopping cart right now...originally listed in one of JH's posts above:

https://www.newegg.com/hp-omen-30l/p/3D5-0005-00BR6?Item=9SIA8S1CTD5998

Specs:

HP OMEN 30L
NVIDIA RTX 3070
RGB Liquid Cooled Intel i9-10900K
Z490 Mobo
750 Watt Platinum PSU
Windows 10 Pro
1TB WD Black SSD + 2TB HDD
32GB HyperX RGB RAM

Will sleep on it and most likely pull the trigger in the morning to make it a proper 'Black Friday' purchase. Threw in a Razer hybrid keyboard (Ornata V2) and a white Logitech mouse.

~2800.00 before taxes, shipping and MS software suite.  May tweak the PC very slightly to bring the grand total back under 4k. I need to go to bed, I am dizzy from looking at specs  :nerd:

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

airboy

Are you surrrrrrrrreeeeeee this is the right system?

Right supplier?

Right configuration?

Sleep well!   >:D >:D

trek

That's a damn good monitor and price. Just be sure if you're coming from a 27" regular monitor and going to a ultra-wide 34" that you're not going to be bothered by the loss of screen height from the 27" 2760x1440. And the black bars on each side in games that don't support 21:9 A good friend of mine didn't with his 34" and ended up returning it for a 38" ultrawide for the screen height reason. As I've previously mentioned I recently bought a Dell Gaming 32" curved monitor and kept the 16:9 ratio and 2560x1440 gentler 1800R curve and actually gained a little more screen height. I especially like the extra screen height for flight sims.

Not trying to change your choice at all Gus, just want to make sure you've thought of everything. Good hunting!

Gusington

Thanks Trek, yes, I can live with the black bars where the 21:9 is not supported...thought about that for a day before buying! Screen height won't bother me.

As far as the rig itself, I think it's perfect and will last me 5-6 years at least. I'm going in, credit card in hand.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Had a last minute discount! That HP Omen was 200.00 less on Amazon than New Egg. So dropped the price from 2700 to 2500. Have 200 additional to spend on a sound bar, etc  <:-)

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

trek

Well, I can see you've done your homework well. Good man! That's a great PC rig for the price too. Since you're talking about a sound bar I just realized that I've been so invested in your purchase I forgot that I've got a Logitech 2.1 Sound System coming in today with UPS. I'm going to audition it against my current Bose  Companion 2 speakers.

I've already returned a pair of Razer Nommo speakers to Best Buy that looked great but didn't even come close in sound quality to my Bose. I'm getting the Logi Z533 system as it has a wired volume and bass controller you can set on your desk and place near your fingertips for quick adjustment.  So, I'll see how this one stacks up against the Bose.

Sound like you're more than confident in your choices and that's a good feeling. Best of luck on your new system!

Gusington

^Thanks Trek!

'I'm finally finished,' he said, eyes red-rimmed.

In the end it was definitely worth it to wait to purchase the (HP Omen) rig this Black Friday morning, as the price difference between NewEgg and Amazon was 200.00  \m/

So, all told, with the Alienware 34" monitor, the HP Omen, a Creative Labs sound bar/subwoofer (not an upgrade because I have an older one right now that I am giving to my younger daughter), new 'gaming' mouse (ROCCAT Kain 120) and a Razer Ornata V2 hybrid (membrane/mechanical) keyboard...my total is roughly 3950 with tax. Just under my limit!

The one thing I did not get was a MS Office subscription (Word, Excel, etc.) because I never got around to getting MS Office on this current rig five years ago and it didn't really matter, and also SCREW IT THIS IS A GAMING PC.

Thanks to all who participated in what turned into quite a thread.

It will take about 10 days for all of this to arrive and then probably one full weekend to disassemble my study, reassemble the old PC for my daughter, place my old office furniture in the basement, assemble the new Respawn desk, chair and cabinet I got a few months ago, and then finally put together the new rig.

So this is not only a PC upgrade but really an entire office upgrade!

I need a cigarette.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd