Main Menu

Share your videos!

Started by W8taminute, July 15, 2014, 04:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

^I've been considering getting a wheel as well because it really is difficult to control the car precisely with a standard game controller.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

JudgeDredd

You will not understand why you held off for so long on a wheel once you have one. It totally transforms a racing game. pCars and F1, Assetto Corsa - all superb games and they are not being done any justice by using a controller - and more than that - you're just not getting the greatness from those games.

It's an initial outlay - I think my wheel was about £80 - but I've had untold amounts of fun with games that need a wheel - so on a GBP per hours of fun calculation - the cost is totally and completely insignificant.

Of course the initial outlay isn't - I understand that...but once it's in your house - and if you like racing games - then you will definitely get your money's worth
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 12, 2015, 03:09:59 AM
You will not understand why you held off for so long on a wheel once you have one. It totally transforms a racing game. pCars and F1, Assetto Corsa - all superb games and they are not being done any justice by using a controller - and more than that - you're just not getting the greatness from those games.

It's an initial outlay - I think my wheel was about £80 - but I've had untold amounts of fun with games that need a wheel - so on a GBP per hours of fun calculation - the cost is totally and completely insignificant.

Of course the initial outlay isn't - I understand that...but once it's in your house - and if you like racing games - then you will definitely get your money's worth

So JD.....if I only could purchase one of the more recent racing games, what would be your recommendation?  I know next to nothing about racing so I wouldn't have a preference from cars/tracks perspective.

JudgeDredd

Project Cars

imo it's the whole package at the moment. Great graphics, great ion track feel, AI isn't too shabby, sounds are great.

Assetto Corsa would be a very, very close second. Handling and feedback is better - but as a package, it's a bit short. And the feeling of driving in pCars isn't bad anyway - it's just that AC feels more real

But for overall enjoyment and fun - pCars...hands down.

Be aware though - there are plenty that would disagree. I think it probably depends on how hardcore you are and whilst I play a lot of racing games - I'm not really hardcore. I don't know what dampers affect or when I should stiffen the springs. I play them for fun...and pCars wins there imo.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

oh - and from what I gather it's "playable" with a controller...so if you can't get a wheel right away, it's not that bad (I think W8aminute is using one - so he might be able to advise better)

But remember - if you get pCars and play it with a controller and don't like it - bear in mind that could be because you're not getting everything out of it without a wheel.

Just saying.
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

Thanks JD...from what I have seen so far, Project Cars was the one I was leaning towards...good point about I being more controller friendly as well in the near term.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 12, 2015, 03:52:08 AM
Thanks JD...from what I have seen so far, Project Cars was the one I was leaning towards...good point about I being more controller friendly as well in the near term.

If you are interested : GreenManGaming VIP sale (you need to log in to see the sale price) : Project Cars 36,99 € (-30%)

W8taminute

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 12, 2015, 03:41:51 AM
oh - and from what I gather it's "playable" with a controller...so if you can't get a wheel right away, it's not that bad (I think W8aminute is using one - so he might be able to advise better)

But remember - if you get pCars and play it with a controller and don't like it - bear in mind that could be because you're not getting everything out of it without a wheel.

Just saying.

I have to agree with JD on not getting everything out of the game with a controller.  I've been playing racing games for years with just a controller and it has taken me that long to be the mediocre driver that I am today.  As long as the track is straight and the curves not so tight a controller is ok for driving these games.  You'll really notice how hard it is to handle the car through a hairpin turn and you'll have to apply the brakes a lot earlier than you would need if you were using a wheel.  For that reason alone I want to get a wheel as soon as my budget permits. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

-budd-

So on my breaks from learning WITE i'm venturing back to some old school FPS. My love of FPS games goes back to the wolfenstein shareware disk i got in a magazine. So i picked up Quake2 and Doom 2 recently. They both play great, pure FPS. I remember literally playing hundreds upon hundreds of DOOM/DOOM2 levels. Doom 1 was good but Doom 2 was better and quake 2 is probably the best quake mainly because it had better level design. Quake i'm playing using the KMquake exe. with a texture pack and Doom2 i'm using GZdoom + brutal doom and i'm playing the modern track instead of the classic mode which means some modern weapons. The render didn't turn out terribly well, playing isn't as dark as the video's appear. If you play FPS games i'd recommend these for sure. You can find a doom wad for free pretty easy, i bought mine on steam for $1.60 and added the mods..brutal doom is awesome. these are the first levels from both games.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Rayfer

Nice one budd....sure brings back some old memories.

Grim.Reaper

Always wanted to play those...every time I tried to play, got severe motion sickness for some reason.

W8taminute

Just some game play from "The Great War" mod for Napoleon Total War.  Here you see me playing as the Austro-Hungarians and my campaign has progressed to early February 1917.  We've stabilized the Russian front with neither side able to overpower the other. 

Over in the west I'm engaged with the Italians and have taken Venice and Northern Italy from them.  I'm trying to assemble a strong enough force to knock Italy out.  Even getting ready for my first naval engagement against the Reggia Marina.  No battles in this video but I plan on showing off combat in my next video.   ;)

Rayfer

Excellent vid w8....! I look forward to seeing some combat vids.

W8taminute

Here is a massive 5600 man vs. roughly 5400 man battle.  I've begun my offensive into the rest of northern Italy in an attempt to crush their main army stationed there.  This will be a tough 32 minute battle that almost looked bad towards the end.  I brought two mortar batteries as well as one 100 mm howitzer battery.  The Italians had a bunch of machine gun bunkers that held me up for a bit but I managed to finally get rid of them. 

Watch what happens as the Italian reinforcements arrive on my right flank.  They almost turned me.  It was very tense.  Enjoy!

JudgeDredd

Nothing much here - just basic movement and showing graphics etc. I had already finished the mission before I remembered I had bought game recording software.

You can see what I was on about with sneaking about and him slamming doors open "like John Wayne in a saloon"...though I don't think the noise attracts the guards. Also I was being a bit distracted here with my daughter hence a pause or two and the running around on the horse. And note also, I had already cleared everyone out of the town - so I was running about because I knew it was clear.

I'll make a better one showing a mission later tonight or tomorrow.

Alba gu' brath