Main Menu

Share your videos!

Started by W8taminute, July 15, 2014, 04:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Staggerwing on June 10, 2016, 06:39:30 PM
Ah- I see. There are different resellers.

yep, usually at the top they show one and then below they will list other resellers...I think the community offers tend to be a little less expensive most of the time.

Hofstadter

My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Hofstadter

My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

panzerde

Someone did a really stellar video of my CM:RT scenario Panzer Marsch! I was just thrilled that someone played it!
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Sir Slash

Damn those panthers get me HOT!  :-*
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

IronX

That would be me.  ;)

Thank you for making the scenario! Scenario designers don't get nearly enough credit for their efforts.

Here' my latest vid covering the third mission in the German campaign for Gustav Line:

panzerde

As I watched it, I was thinking to myself "this is as good as those vids IronX has shared on Grogheads! ;D

I should have know it was someone from here. Where else would I find someone who is grog enough not just to play the scenario, but make such an impressive video of it?

I'm not joking that this inspired me. I'm going to start working on another scenario.

IronX

Looking forward to it!

How long does it take to put one together? It looks like a lot of work, including research, building the map, putting together the OOB and AI plans, etc.

panzerde

Quote from: IronX on July 12, 2016, 05:34:51 PM
Looking forward to it!

How long does it take to put one together? It looks like a lot of work, including research, building the map, putting together the OOB and AI plans, etc.

I probably had about 40 hours or so in Panzer Marsch! Some of the was just getting familiar with the editor, since that was the first CM scenario I'd ever built. There's a fair amount I'd do differently in my next one that would probably save time.

Research on this scenario was kind of a bear. I really wanted to do a map of the actual terrain, but after hours of searching maps, I just could not find a location that matched up to the written account. Worse, it appears that the action was minor enough that there just isn't any other documentation that I could find online describing it, or providing an actual name for Village Z. There was an action later in the day that was fairly significant, and that gave me a rough idea of where things happened, but no more so than the general description in the written account I had.

So, I ended up picking a plausible location in Poland and modeling the map after that. I spent a long time looking at Google Maps and StreetView to come up with a map that looked close...and then had to tweak a lot to make it playable.

The OOB for the Germans wasn't too difficult since it's generally laid out in the written account. The Soviet OOB was much more speculative. The original iteration of the scenario actually had the remainder of the German KG as specified in the written account showing up - which made for a BUNCH of Panthers on the map. That made it really impractical to play, and some people I had try it (who didn't bother to read the actual history) accused me of just creating a fanboi Panther scenario. I actually had someone tell me that the entire Heer couldn't muster the number of Panthers I had in the game in August 1944! I'm sure the Americans in Lorraine and a few months later at the Bulge would have been happy to know that the Germans couldn't muster an entire Panther battalion in the latter half of 1944.

Adjusting the German OOB to just reflect a Panther company with the support of a platoon of Panzergrenadiers made for a better fit for the map. Unfortunately that also required a significant change in the Soviet OOB, including removing a platoon of T-34/85s that enter Village Z along the road from the top of the map once the Germans enter the village.

One of the more interesting things to do was to set up the various scripted movement paths and triggers for the Soviets. I wanted the T-34/85s to act similarly to what was described for the action, which is why they start pulling back as soon as they sight the Panthers. Getting all of that set up took some doing.

Perhaps the most gratifying thing about watching your video was seeing you execute an attack that mirrored almost exactly the path that I envisioned for the German player when creating the scenario. The placement of units and various scripted triggers seem to have prompted the actions I expected an experienced player to take.

W8taminute

A friend and I got together to play the BattleRoyal mod for Arma 3.  I forgot to enable recording of my mic so unfortunately you only hear my friend talking but I will provide my voice the next time we play as I've sorted out my video recording issue. 

Hope you enjoy.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Rayfer

W8....I don't have Arma 3 but have dabbled in 1 and 2.  My problem with these games is that I can never see what's shooting at me (or what to shoot at). Then suddenly...Boom...and I'm dead.  Appears this happened at the end of your video as well.

jomni

Quote from: Rayfer on July 31, 2016, 03:43:33 PM
W8....I don't have Arma 3 but have dabbled in 1 and 2.  My problem with these games is that I can never see what's shooting at me (or what to shoot at). Then suddenly...Boom...and I'm dead.  Appears this happened at the end of your video as well.

That is war.

Rayfer

Quote from: jomni on August 01, 2016, 03:03:22 AM
Quote from: Rayfer on July 31, 2016, 03:43:33 PM

That is war.

I suspect you're right jomni, but it can make for a head-scratching, frustrating game.

Grim.Reaper

Although hard core players might laugh, I actually turn down the ai settings in the options and then I see less of this.  The ai is still tough for me since not that great myself.  There is no doubt probably realistic during war (assuming ai is not unrealistically seeing things) but during war my soldier would likely be more capable than what I am able to make happen within the game myself:). So reducing the ai seems to balance it for me.

jomni

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on August 01, 2016, 06:20:19 AM
Although hard core players might laugh, I actually turn down the ai settings in the options and then I see less of this.  The ai is still tough for me since not that great myself.  There is no doubt probably realistic during war (assuming ai is not unrealistically seeing things) but during war my soldier would likely be more capable than what I am able to make happen within the game myself:). So reducing the ai seems to balance it for me.

Yeah.  It also depends on the map.  It's less of a problem for more drier maps like Altis / Stratis and Takistan.