Main Menu

Cold Waters

Started by Thomasew, September 28, 2016, 09:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glen55

I tried to get RSR to work a couple of years ago: no dice. What a fabulous game.

I never was able to get as deeply into any of the Silent Hunter or other sub sim games as I was with RSR and Sid Meier's Silent Service.

SMSS is even older than RSR, but also a great game. It was less focused than RSR as a Pacific War American sub career simulator, and there weren't as many target ship types, at least in typical battles, but what a great game. More balanced than RSR, where your boat is just so crap-diddly hot that in most battles you could just toy with the Russkies and choose what sort of poison to administer to them and when.  (Exception: going up against those Kilo diesel subs, which could usually get the drop on you.)
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

mirth

Silent Service...what a great game. One of my very first sims.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

glen55

Quote from: mirth on September 29, 2016, 12:51:08 PM
Silent Service...what a great game. One of my very first sims.

Talk about white-knuckling it: doing corkscrew turns in shallow water at flank speed to dodge depth charges. Or letting fly at 500 yards with a Japanese tin can bearing down for the ram at 30 knots: you miss, you die. I haven't experienced that kind of tension very often in a computer game.

I wonder if my imagination was just more forgiving back then.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

JasonPratt

Can't Greenlight it at the moment, but I'll try to do so later. Played many a campaign of RSR on my C64.

Ditto Silent Service and then later SS2 on the PC. I still dream about crazy sub action (often in rivers for no clear reason  ???  :crazy2: ), and those dreams go straight back to the SS series.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Steelgrave

Barthheart

Nefaro

And there was much rejoicing.

O0

Capn Darwin

Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Toonces

Man, I have to admit, I am too excited for this game.  I sure hope it is awesome.

By awesome, I don't mean realistic.  I have realistic with CMANO.  I'm looking for FUN. 

If this can really be a "spiritual successor to Red Storm Rising" I am all-in. 

Mid-2017...could be soon!   :dreamer:
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

mirth

Nefaro

Tuna

Isn't this like a 'tablet' game? Or is it totally different from Atlantic Fleet?