Main Menu

Hell Let Loose

Started by jomni, April 24, 2018, 09:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on February 22, 2020, 11:46:42 AM

Purple Heart Lane

Patches 9 and 10 arrived.  I spent more time exploring canals.  You can cross even the red line canals at diagonal boats such as this one near the main road on the main bridge:

Bardolph

New map is pretty cool. Still got hit with the flippin vox bug twice tonight. Had the good fortune to get in a couple good squads.

MengJiao

Quote from: Bardolph on March 03, 2020, 01:32:17 AM
New map is pretty cool. Still got hit with the flippin vox bug twice tonight. Had the good fortune to get in a couple good squads.

The Vox bug means you can't be heard or something?

Bardolph

Yah, every so often your voice comms will just stop working. Been happening as long as I've owned the game. Couple other guys got hit with it last evening.

I did read a short post from one of the devs that recommended going into the Advanced tab of your microphone properties in the Recording tab of the Sound Control Panel (if that makes any sense) and un-checking "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device". I tried that and it didn't seem to help initially, but when I changed squads my voice comms came back. Curious if it will happen again now.

MengJiao

Quote from: Bardolph on March 03, 2020, 02:05:52 PM
Yah, every so often your voice comms will just stop working. Been happening as long as I've owned the game. Couple other guys got hit with it last evening.

I did read a short post from one of the devs that recommended going into the Advanced tab of your microphone properties in the Recording tab of the Sound Control Panel (if that makes any sense) and un-checking "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device". I tried that and it didn't seem to help initially, but when I changed squads my voice comms came back. Curious if it will happen again now.

Strange.  It seems to happen pretty often, though I haven't seen it.  And I agree the new map is pretty interesting and picturesque

Bardolph

Yeah, it's hard to tell if folks just aren't talking or they are hit by the bug lol.

MengJiao

Quote from: Bardolph on March 04, 2020, 04:45:18 AM
Yeah, it's hard to tell if folks just aren't talking or they are hit by the bug lol.

The bug can sense the strain in your voice.  I'm always stressed so it can't detect any stress signal from my mic.

Which reminds me.  I was tagging along with the sl and we were doing okay, though we seemed to be surrounded by Germans -- we'd gone way too far on one of those maps with a big hill covered with burning wreckage (not Omaha) -- and in a moment of terror the SL says "Lloyd, drop the box here!"  It was going to be our last stand -- but at least we'd have some grenades from the ammo box to liven things up.  Gibbering with terror, I cried, "I left the box back in the first trench!"
I sounded so upset that the SL said, "It's okay!  It's okay!" we died laughing as the Germans closed in on our little trench without any ammo.

Father Ted

Quote from: MengJiao on March 04, 2020, 11:26:04 AM

Which reminds me.  I was tagging along with the sl and we were doing okay, though we seemed to be surrounded by Germans -- we'd gone way too far on one of those maps with a big hill covered with burning wreckage (not Omaha) -- and in a moment of terror the SL says "Lloyd, drop the box here!"  It was going to be our last stand -- but at least we'd have some grenades from the ammo box to liven things up.  Gibbering with terror, I cried, "I left the box back in the first trench!"
I sounded so upset that the SL said, "It's okay!  It's okay!" we died laughing as the Germans closed in on our little trench without any ammo.

It's amazing how much fear can be generated by these sorts of games, when all that'll happen to you is you have to respawn.  Last time I played our squad got pinned down in a trench by a Panther and we all remarked how scary it was.  Also the role-playing is quite fun - I got tended by a medic from another squad who said, "There, there, you'll be ok soon" as he bandaged me.

MengJiao

Quote from: Father Ted on March 04, 2020, 12:13:30 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on March 04, 2020, 11:26:04 AM

It's amazing how much fear can be generated by these sorts of games, when all that'll happen to you is you have to respawn.  Last time I played our squad got pinned down in a trench by a Panther and we all remarked how scary it was.  Also the role-playing is quite fun - I got tended by a medic from another squad who said, "There, there, you'll be ok soon" as he bandaged me.

It's interesting how these games tap into something primitive about humanoid groups.  I say humanoid because some of it seems really really primitive as in Homo Erectus goes after big game -- there he is about half our brains and nothing but spears and fire to go after mammoths or elephants or something -- no doubt with a lot of screaming and shouting and so on.  I noticed this when hunting tanks in WWII Online.  The spontaneously cooperative hunting behavior was surprising in some ways -- but figuring people in some form or other had been specializing in that kind of cooperative hunting for 2-3 million years -- not so strange.

The fear thing is really odd -- it seems to move into laughing really hard pretty easily -- which suggests the "fear" is some kind of social thing (ie you exhibit it partly to help some kind of group response -- a modulated fight or flight or some other behavior change.)...of course your heart-rate and other relexes are all running and you are even more engaged than in say watching a horror movie -- which brain-scans reveal use huge areas of the brain.

Anyway...the fun definitely involves evoking some primitive responses.

MengJiao

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on March 02, 2020, 10:13:07 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on February 22, 2020, 11:46:42 AM

Purple Heart Lane

Patches 9 and 10 arrived.  I spent more time exploring canals.  You can cross even the red line canals at diagonal boats such as this one near the main road on the main bridge:

And this is a safe crossing, but you need your vegetation turned up all the way to see it that way:

Bardolph

I managed to drown myself a couple times the first night I played on the new map but haven't had much trouble since then. It did happen a couple nights ago when a medic was healing me and in the process pushed me into the water and I drowned. I've also experienced being pushed under the map a couple times lately while being healed. Just another reason to stay away from the medics lol!

MengJiao

Quote from: Bardolph on March 19, 2020, 11:31:40 PM
I managed to drown myself a couple times the first night I played on the new map but haven't had much trouble since then. It did happen a couple nights ago when a medic was healing me and in the process pushed me into the water and I drowned. I've also experienced being pushed under the map a couple times lately while being healed. Just another reason to stay away from the medics lol!

There used to be a wonderful bug in Post Scriptum where you were instantly cured and re-supplied when you became section leader by default.  I guess even becomeing section leader by default is sort of buggy -- but that was the world of early PS --  My favorite time with that bug was when I was out of ammo with a Bren gun and the Germans were closing in at a cross-roads.  I suddenly became SL with a full load of ammo and no injuries or fatigue and HQ said "Take your section and clear the road to the objective" and (miraculously), I did.

Bardolph

Forgot to mention that if you get hit with the vox bug just leave your squad and jump back in, seems to fix it..

MengJiao

Quote from: Bardolph on March 20, 2020, 05:39:44 PM
Forgot to mention that if you get hit with the vox bug just leave your squad and jump back in, seems to fix it..

Good to know!