Crisis of Scale

Started by TheCommandTent, October 18, 2012, 09:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

While looking through my stash of miniature wargaming stuff I came across an interesting find.  I knew that in the past I had purchased some 15mm figures but I was surprised to find that some of them were painted!  Now as you can tell from the picture these were painted and based when I was first getting into the hobby, so the paint jobs are a bit embarrassing. 

So now I have figures and vehicles painted in both scales so neither has a clear advantage in terms of wargaming ready forces.  I still have not made a decision either way but will continue to paint in both scales until I am swayed one way or another.  Unless of course I just want to collect and paint both scales. :)
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

They look fine. You'd fit in well in our FoW group.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

ArizonaTank

Not to derail the thread, but just curious what rules are folks using for WWII?   

Sounds like Bolt Action comes up alot.

Anyone using Final Combat or Battleground?
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: LongBlade on October 22, 2012, 09:59:37 PM
They look fine. You'd fit in well in our FoW group.

Thanks.  I wish I lived close enough.  I am dying for a wargaming group.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

TheCommandTent

Quote from: ArizonaTank on October 23, 2012, 06:17:39 AM

I just bought Bolt Action and hopefully will try them out soon.  I also have Nuts! from Two Hour Wargames which is fun.

LongBlade

Quote from: ArizonaTank on October 23, 2012, 06:17:39 AM

Never heard of these. I've been playing Flames of War.

ArizonaTank

I remember looking at Nuts! and hearing good things about it.  I seem to recall the rules had some sort of campaign generations system.  I'll take a better look at them.

Edit:  Just found Nuts! on wargamevault  interesting that there is a Korea expansion.  Taking a very serious look at them now.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

LongBlade

Quote from: ArizonaTank on October 23, 2012, 07:46:33 PM
I remember looking at Nuts! and hearing good things about it.  I seem to recall the rules had some sort of campaign generations system.  I'll take a better look at them.

Edit:  Just found Nuts! on wargamevault  interesting that there is a Korea expansion.  Taking a very serious look at them now.

Nuts! I've heard of. Never played it.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: LongBlade on October 23, 2012, 08:24:25 PM

Nuts! I've heard of. Never played it.

They advertise that it plays like you are in a movie and its true.  Its also very solo friendly and you can play co-op which is fun.

Con

Our war gaming group has been playing with the following rule set for the last couple of years

Ain't been shot mum from the too fat ladies based in the uk

Here is the link
http://toofatlardies.co.uk/

I recommend these rules the have some unique devices like hidden blinds and using command figures known as big men to reduce your hits and pins. It plays well and is not gamy in my opinion

Con

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Con on October 23, 2012, 09:54:31 PM
Our war gaming group has been playing with the following rule set for the last couple of years

Here is the link

I recommend these rules the have some unique devices like hidden blinds and using command figures known as big men to reduce your hits and pins. It plays well and is not gamy in my opinion

Con

I've heard good things about these rules and really want to see them in action in person sometime.

bob48

Never heard of those rules before, so thanks for the link. I'm very tempted to invest 8 ounds in them.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

DV8

I would go with 15mm.  This allows for easy conversion from inches to cm for measuring.  1" becomes 1cm.  15mm is easy to paint a large amount of minis in no time.  15mm will also allow you to play other games such as Command Decision, Flames of War and Blitzkrieg General with the same models so long as you base them in a similar fashion.
"Most of my cliches aren't original." - Chuck Knox

Con

Quote from: Con on October 23, 2012, 09:54:31 PM

Here is the link

Con
Ok Please excuse the spelling errors in my above post.  This is what comes from me pecking away on an ipad.  The website is the "too fat lardies" a pun or pune if you read Pratchett on "Two Fat Ladies" a cooking show.  Also the name Aint Been Shot mum is from a 70's sitcom of a group of British pongos "Lads in the army" who are part of an entertainment group sent off to Burma in WWII.  It is universally horrible and called "It aint half hot mum".  If you want to find something so appalling that it's very lack of humor and inbred unintended bigotry on natives and light in the loafers actors actually becomes hilarious; then you should seek out an episode on youtube.  But dont say I didnt warn you!

Con

bob48

^Yuk!
I remember it well, and you're quite right, it was so bad it was actually funny, but would be condemed as being very un-PC now, even though the bitotry was entirely unintentional, in those unenlightened days.

I used to laugh me socks off!
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!