Legends of Pegasus -- bad news

Started by Martok, October 05, 2012, 09:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIGMaster

Maybe a group of modders will pick it up and breath some new life into it..... Here's hoping!

Nefaro

Quote from: MIGMaster on October 08, 2012, 12:37:16 PM
Maybe a group of modders will pick it up and breath some new life into it..... Here's hoping!

I seriously doubt the source code will ever be released.. officially or otherwise.  So it probably can't be improved much beyond a point.

Tpek

Quote from: Nefaro on October 08, 2012, 08:59:25 PM

I seriously doubt the source code will ever be released.. officially or otherwise.  So it probably can't be improved much beyond a point.

Why not?

Nefaro

Quote from: Tpek on October 09, 2012, 01:14:31 PM

Why not?

Legal reason, for one thing.  Someone still owns the rights don't they?  Someone always owns the rights these days.  ;)

Tpek

Quote from: Nefaro on October 09, 2012, 03:44:41 PM
Quote from: Tpek on October 09, 2012, 01:14:31 PM

Why not?

Legal reason, for one thing.  Someone still owns the rights don't they?  Someone always owns the rights these days.  ;)

And these holders have an interest in letting other people continue patching the game.
Paradox let people do it with Lost Empire Immortals.

Nefaro

Quote from: Tpek on October 09, 2012, 03:47:49 PM

And these holders have an interest in letting other people continue patching the game.

Ideally, yes.  But for some odd reason I see older games sitting around rotting - not even for sale anywhere like GOG, much less being turned loose to modders for free fixing.  I suppose the latter is due to fears of the code escaping to the masses.

These situations make me wonder why the owner(s) don't bother making a little extra cash on them.

Tpek

Quote from: Nefaro on October 13, 2012, 04:28:00 AM
Quote from: Tpek on October 09, 2012, 03:47:49 PM

Ideally, yes.  But for some odd reason I see older games sitting around rotting - not even for sale anywhere like GOG, much less being turned loose to modders for free fixing.  I suppose the latter is due to fears of the code escaping to the masses.

These situations make me wonder why the owner(s) don't bother making a little extra cash on them.

Sometimes the rights are contested, or it's not quite clear who has them (at least to those who do).
There could be a lot of reasons for this.

In the past this is why the Abandonware scene popped up. Nowadays GOG really goes around looking to redistribute these old gems.
And others (Gamersgate, Steam, etc...) have taken to follow that example.

Perhaps in time those few remaining gems will be published digitally as well.