Dam Busters redux (in honour of Les Munro)

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, August 05, 2015, 12:22:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

Staggerwing  will lead the flight and control AJ-E "Easy". 

Bob will control AJ-H "Harry" in Wave 1 and AJ-T. 

UCG will control AJ-K "King". 

Bart will control AJ-W "Willie".

Bob, AJ-T has two elite crewmen so you'll have to select which one you want to provide bonuses on the mission.  There's McCarthy the pilot.  He can evade one hazard per mission.  There's also Johnson the bomb-aimer.  He gets a +1 to his accuracy roll when he bombs.  Who would you prefer?

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Silent Disapproval Robot

McCarthy it is.

Reconnaissance photos from both the Sorpe and Enepe dams show that the reservoirs are full.  There are no indications of any active defenses at either dam.  The Sorpe is the primary target and, as such, the has received the bulk of our reconnaissance efforts. 

Your primary objective is to bomb the Sorpe dam.  It is hoped that your flight will help draw the focus of the German defences away from the Main Force thereby allowing them a better chance to reach their targets unscathed.  Good luck!

Silent Disapproval Robot

Wave 1 forms up over Scampton at 21:05 and proceeds on a heading that will take them to the Frisians.  AJ-T takes off at 21:10 and attempts to catch up to the rest of the flight.

Bob, if AJ-T wishes, it can attempt to find and form up with Wave 1.  In order to do so, the navigator (A.J. McLean, RCAF) needs to make a nav check.  The crew's skill level is "seasoned" therefore, you'll need to roll a 7 or better on 2d6 to successfully join.

Staggerwing, as flight leader, you have the option of firing off a Very Light in order to help AJ-T to find your flight.  If you want to use a Very Light, Bob will be able to add +1 to his die roll.

Staggerwing

Any downside to using the Very light?

If not, do it.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Silent Disapproval Robot

The Very Light will drift along in the direction of your flight and possibly draw unwanted attention in the form of German nightfighters.  As you're still over England, there's no real risk involved at this stage.

Staggerwing

That's what I thought- firing off the flare now..

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

bob48

I tried for a link up, but only rolled 5 on 2D6.

'Clip those corners'

Silent Disapproval Robot

In AJ-T "Tommy", McCarthy spotted a string of flares several miles ahead.   The navigator did some quick calculations and worked out an intercept course based on the flight's intended course and speed. McCarthy fully opened the throttles in an effort to catch up to the rest of the flight but was eventually forced to back off after Flight Engineer Radcliffe voiced his concerns about the rate of fuel consumption.

(AJ-T fails to link up with the rest of the flight and will continue flying independently for this turn.)

Here's the turn track. 

We've just finished the co-ordination phase.  We can skip the wireless phase as it won't be used until a change in target needs to be announced.

On the Move Phase, Wave 1 and AJ-T both transit from England to the English Coast zone.

Wave 1 flight needs to make a navigation check to see if they remain in good formation.  We use the skill level of the least experienced navigator in the flight which is Flt Off. MacFarlane on Rice's plane, AJ-H "Harry".  Because his skill level is "green", he needs an 8 or better.

AJ-T also needs to roll to see if they are still on course.  The navigator's skill level is 7 but due to the faulty compass he gets a -1 to his roll so he also needs an 8+.

Bob, roll 2D6 for Wave 1 and then again for AJ-T.

bob48

'Clip those corners'

Silent Disapproval Robot

OK.

The formation in Wave 1 becomes spread out and the aircraft begin to lose sight of one another.

On board AJ-T, combination of a faulty compass and the change in course and speed over the open ocean has thrown off the navigator.  Aj-T is now lost and will have to try to get a fix next turn.

The flight encounters a possible hazard.  The hazards encountered over the English Coast tend to be mechanical failures or human error and cannot be evaded.

Stagger, select one aircraft in Wave 1 to receive the hazard.

Staggerwing

Silent Disapproval Robot

As Wave 1 continued along its flight path towards Holland, Murno found that he continually had to re-trim AJ-W's elevators as the aircraft simply would not hold a steady altitude.  The port and starboard elevators refused to act in concert, forcing Munro to make constant adjustments to maintain the desired height.

(AJ-W suffered faulty controls as will receive 1 less altitude chit than normal on bombing runs.)

The Very Lights burn out.

None of the other steps need be conducted for turn 1 so it's on to turn 2 and co-ordination checks.

Stagger, do you want to use Very Lights again this turn?  You'll be going over the North Sea zone next so it's still relatively safe.

Bob, you'll need to roll 2D6 for AJ-H to return the wave to good formation.  You'll need 8+ on 2D6  (7+ if Stagger uses a flare).

Staggerwing