German U-boat wreck in Labrador?

Started by Shelldrake, July 27, 2012, 06:33:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelldrake

If the object at the bottom of the Churchill River near Muskrat Falls is a U-boat, what was the crew doing almost 200 km from the coast?!

http://www.thestar.com/printarticle/1232162
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

TheCommandTent

That would one heck of a find if it turns out to be a U-boat.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

mirth

^ That would be amazing. Seems unlikely, but I'd love it if turns out to be true.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Shelldrake

Picture of sonar image is shown in this article.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/07/26/search-team-returning-to-churchill-river-after-release-of-sonar-images-showing-suspected-nazi-submarine/

A U-boat (U-190) was also deliberately scuttled at the mouth of Halifax Harbour, coming to rest close by the wreck of HMCS Esquimalt which was sunk earlier by U-190.

http://www.cbc.ca/video/watch/News/Canada/NS/ID=2260959337
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Jack Nastyface

Methinks the Germans infiltrated St. Johns, got screeched in at a local bar, then went on a drunken u-boat driving binge until they hit bottom (literally and figuratively) in the Churchill River.  Surviving members eventually made their way into S. Ontario where the set up German and Euro delis around New Hamburg, and Kitchner/Waterloo.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Staggerwing

I think that the more important question is...

How much will it cost to fix up and put back in service? I mean, it's not like the Canadian Navy can't use another sub and, heck, this one is made in Germany!

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 27, 2012, 06:52:12 PM

How much will it cost to fix up and put back in service? I mean, it's not like the Canadian Navy can't use another sub and, heck, this one is made in Germany!

Ha! Good point.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mirth

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 27, 2012, 06:52:12 PM

I think it's safe to say it'll cost less than it has with those Victorias!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

LongBlade

And a second U-boat has been found off Massachusetts. The Canadian sub fleet has almost doubled!

QuoteDivers have discovered a World War II-era German submarine nearly 70 years after it sank under withering U.S. attack in waters off Nantucket.

The U-550 was found Monday by a privately funded group organized by New Jersey lawyer Joe Mazraani. It was the second trip in two years to the site by the team, some of whom had been searching for the lost U-boat for two decades.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/27/explorers-find-downed-german-u-boat-off-mass594059

Staggerwing

Wouldn't the People's Massachusetts Army Navy have first dibs? I think they just extended their territorial waters to just off the Irish coast...

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

besilarius

At the start of the Revolution, there was a New England brig that captured an english merchant.  Might have been the Massachusetts Navy.
The ship was named Black Vomit (bet you never found this mentioned in American Heritage magazine), which was an acronym for Yellow Fever, or Yellow Jack.
God, sea captains can be so out there.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

LongBlade

Quote from: besilarius on July 28, 2012, 02:39:03 PM
At the start of the Revolution, there was a New England brig that captured an english merchant.  Might have been the Massachusetts Navy.
The ship was named Black Vomit (bet you never found this mentioned in American Heritage magazine), which was an acronym for Yellow Fever, or Yellow Jack.
God, sea captains can be so out there.

I'm starting to wonder if most of us here aren't descended from sea captains...

besilarius

I'll try not to go one much about Yellow Fever, but that captain must have been uttely irreverent.
One of the uglier side effects of dying from Yellow Fever is the Black Vomit.  He probably survived a bout of it and wanted to let the world he wasn't scared of it anymore.
If syphilis was the gift of the New World back to the old, Yellow Fever was Africa's response to the slave trade serving the Carribbean sugar islands.
At one point, Horatio Nelson's frigate, Hinchingbroke, came into harbor with only 22 members of the crew not laid flat by the disease.
During one attack on a French sugar island, an English army lost almost 90% of its troops to Yellow Jack.
And, of course, the Panama Canal was not built until it was understood that the mosquito, Aedes Aegypti, was the vector.
Doctors literally killed themselves trying to understand the causes.  One brave soul, to prove his belief, actually drank black vomit, showing it was not the causative agent by surviving.
Two other doctors fought a duel over their different theories.  Naturally, both died from wounds, and naturally, they were both wrong.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Shelldrake

A search by a remote operated submersible failed to confirm that the sonar image was a sunken  U-boat. It seems that the area of interest is now buried under feet of mud and silt.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2012/08/07/nl-uboat-german-submarine-labrador-806.html

Dean Edell

Staggerwing

^Too bad. Maybe you can get a good deal on the CSS H. L. Hunley? It has really low mileage and all..